Special Instrument Cluster

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Don't know how many have noticed this. Don't know if it's on all D40's. Don't know if my car is about to blow up. Don't even want possibly solutions because I'm not really suggesting it is a problem but while playing around with my scanguage a few minutes ago I just noticed something interesting happen on the dash.

Having turned the key from the on position to the off position (even removing the key) the needles all drop, instrument lights go off and the odometer remains on an unlit background. The odo stays on for about 1 minute or something then seconds later the needles drop a fraction more. After about another minute all the needles drop an inch or so further and return immediately to their resting place as if nothing ever happened.

First time I saw it I thought I had gremlins, so I had to do it again just to make sure and sure enough it happens every time. Don't know whether I've never watched any of my cars dashboard for long enough previously or if it's a Nissan quirk, either way I'm hoping my car has something special that no one elses does then I can claim its a collectors item and get more for it when I sell it.

Mine does the same although I can't say I've seen it do it everytime the keys turned off.
It also does the same when you pull the fuses for the dash and put them back in to reset it.

I haven't sat in my garage watching my instruments after stopping so I don't know, although the wife did say today that she noticed (while I was out in the heat fetching cool drinks) that she'd noticed the gauges "twitching".

I'm going to have to sit there and stare at it for a while.

Dammit I wanted something unique, now I'm going to have to find out what is is and see if I can't stop it just to be different. Maybe it's just Nissan teasing us by showing that can make a live fuel gauge but wont.

Mine doesn't do it.

For those that does,have you ever seen the Stephen King movie "Christine"?

I'd be very careful in your garage. :stop:

Capacitor discharge without a regulated gate?

Buggered if I know but that sounded good didn't it?

Been playing with electronics a bit and learning a bit about new cars since we purchased this one. The last car I officially owned as my own was an EH holden so its a steep learning curve!
Company cars only require fuel and inattention.

Company cars only require fuel and inattention.

And like rental cars, go fast in all gears including reverse and only need servicing when someone else says so.

After a bit of investigation and playing around my best guess for the "Christine" like dashboard is similar to a computers POST (power on self test for those not PC literate). Just like the ECU would need to be intiialised every time you get in the car it would no doubt be wanting to power down when you leave the car.

Given the numerous things that are dragging power off the battery even when the key is out it makes sense that the ECU goes into shutdown, or atleast a type of Windows equivalent sleep mode where all none essential items shutdown and stop dragging power. As the instruments don't need to keep power they go through what could be described as a Power Off self test. ergo movement in the gauges happens.

Thats the explanation I'm running with anyway.

Just reading random stuff and noticed this thread from pre history...
Mine started doing this a little while ago, shortly before the battery died. Once new battery was in it never did it again. My conclusion was it didnt like a reduced voltage level. The battery had a shorted cell so was only giving 10.5 volts. Could be caused by a poor battery, dash earth or ecu earth etc.
i tried replacing the warp generator and the flux time bender to no avail.....

Latest posts

Back