Extreme or Excedy clutch

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisnav40

Reaction score
Am about to replace my D40 Clutch and would like some feed back on the above clutches and what gear box oil to use .
Am looking at the Extreme extra Heavy Duty single plate as I tow a 2.5 ton Boat .
I did read an article about what oil to use in Gear box after fitting the extreme upgrade but cant rememebr the name or grade of oil.
Cheers guys Nisnav40.

Why would you need to change the gearbox oil to a different grade? I can't see how the clutch material would effect gear and synhco lubrication. Doesn't sound right to me.

The Nissan manual for the D40 requires the following gearbox oil in the manual transmission:

API GL-4, Viscosity SAE 75W-85

It doesn't state "genuine Nissan only" or anything - the above quote is the entire recommendation for choice of oil. This is for both the VQ40DE and YD25DDTi motors (which is a "duh" thing, but the manual does differentiate between the motors for other things too).

Match that oil requirement and your warranty should still be good (2007 model ought to still be in factory warranty period?)

No idea sorry mate but can you let us know what you go with and whats it's like?

How many km's did you get out of the original one?

Cheers
Matt

No idea sorry mate but can you let us know what you go with and whats it's like?

How many km's did you get out of the original one?

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,
I got 36000 klms out of the 1st .
I just did anohter clutch after just 7100klms and nissan are going to replace this one on them as well.
They said they have a fault with the d40 clutches .
I had the update fitted and it went after only 7100klms and only one tow up my driveway with boat on.
Nissan are doing a deal with me over the replacement.
I heard or read about the extra HD extreme that the oil grade in box can quieten the clutch rattle down somewhat.
I thinkl it was an article by ozroader .
Cheers Nisnav40.

Don't forget the D40's torque right up at about 2,000rpm and just rip the clutches to bits. The manual D22's are better I think, because at idle you can slowly let the clutch out all the way and start moving whereas the D40s stall, so you're compelled to give them a rev and slip them right into the max torque zone.

A re-tune to something like the D22 would also solve the problem, and it's a wonder with the number of replacement clutches that Nissan haven't already thought about that.

Or maybe they have thought about it, and can't do it because the puddle lights in the D40's mirrors.

Hi Matt,
I got 36000 klms out of the 1st .
I just did anohter clutch after just 7100klms and nissan are going to replace this one on them as well.
They said they have a fault with the d40 clutches .
I had the update fitted and it went after only 7100klms and only one tow up my driveway with boat on.
Nissan are doing a deal with me over the replacement.
I heard or read about the extra HD extreme that the oil grade in box can quieten the clutch rattle down somewhat.
I thinkl it was an article by ozroader .
Cheers Nisnav40.
Ok, My understanding is (please correct me if I'm wrong) to run the aftermarket clutches you need to go to a solid flywheel rather than the dual mass rubbish that comes standard. The dual mass stops any harmonic vibrations transfering through the gearbox, So putting a different grade of oil (heavier i guess) will help dampen out the noises.
Some draw backs would inlcude more difficult gear changes until the oil heated up, causing a little extra wear on synchros.

Ok, My understanding is (please correct me if I'm wrong) to run the aftermarket clutches you need to go to a solid flywheel rather than the dual mass rubbish that comes standard. The dual mass stops any harmonic vibrations transfering through the gearbox, So putting a different grade of oil (heavier i guess) will help dampen out the noises.
Some draw backs would inlcude more difficult gear changes until the oil heated up, causing a little extra wear on synchros.

That explains why mine has crazy devil gear rattle.

On the wearing of the synchros, rev match and double clutch it till it's warmed up.

yeah. mates old toyota used to rattle in neutral after they replaced the dual mass with a single. no problem when driving.

I also fitted an exceddy single mass kit , yes the box rattles at idle thats about it , much better feel than that dual mass crap , I got 100k from my original and mine was an 06 D40 , cost me $1350 mind you thats trade and I fitted it

Cheers Marty

Has anyone put an extreme clutch in their D40? Does it give better performance? It looks like i have to change mine after just 50.000ks, backing camper up a steep driveway seems to have caused the problem........... To replace the clutch or change the Navara?

Latest posts

Back