D40 Diff Woes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty5607

Reaction score
My 2008 D40 with only 33,000k on the dial has developed a whine from the rear diff. The local dealer agrees the noise is excessive and has book it in with Trans Diff in Melbourne to look at. I previously had 2 Patrols and from experience i thought Nissan built bullet proff diffs! Are the Navara diffs not as rugged!? Is this a known problem and have others had issues?

Second question - my Navara has a droneing/pulsating noise comming from the airconditioning compressor (when it kicks in). The local Dealer tells me this is fairly standard for the D40. I read this as fairly unique for the D40, as no other car I have driven sounds like it. Nice feature Nissan!. By the way I can only hear it mainly due to the factory supplied stereo not working.

Russ

Last edited:
The Nissan LSD has a pretty good rep, I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary from teh Nav's?

When I was investigating possible pitfalls of the Navara, I noted down several instances of bearing troubles in the D40's rear diff. Most were described as "clunking noises" though.

Hi Russ

You're not alone with diff troubles if it makes you feel any better. With 15k on the clock, I discovered yesterday my diff pinion seal is leaking. Dealer looking at it on 22 Dec but chose their words carefully to ensure that I did not assume it was a straight forward warranty claim.

Gus

the noise from ur aircon is coming from the shit chinese blower thats in there. BTW, the oil pump and dyno are from the same chinese company (sorry i don't know the name of this company). a thai tech told me these things, and your oil pump SHOULD have been called in for testing. so get urself down to ur nearest and see what they say. alot of people have been on about their batteries too. if ur batt is not charging .......more than likely it's the cheap chinese crap nissan are using these days. i live in thailand and bought a nav here, which is where they're made now. you'd be suprised how much info a bottle beer can get you out here. good luck

We had a d40 in recently for a rear locker and when we measured the factory backlash it was so far out of spec it is not funny. It was brand new and it was just flopping around in there so to speak.

I changed my oil in the rear diff at 20k and it was well due for it too.

Also had a d40 in just 2 days ago with leaking axle seal on passenger side.

So I guess they are a bit average in comparison to other nissan diffs.

whining diff

mine started whinning at 10000klm. after waiting 2 months for parts they ended up replacing the whole diff.
all good since then

mine started whinning at 10000klm. after waiting 2 months for parts they ended up replacing the whole diff.
all good since then

I fitted an ARB air locker at around 1500 km ..... I don't have any noise and now have 40000 km on the clock.

Damn, wonder why they did that?

The D40's are based off the Nissan Titan which are now made in Mexico, the D40 was also designed in the US.

Because they are designed and pretty much built in the US (South America) it was cheaper for Nissan to source the diffs and the gearbox out of the US.

Ford, Jeep, Dodge, Chrysler all use Dana diffs.

The Nissan diffs used in the Patrol's and D22, D21, Terrano, R50 Pathfinder and all made by Fiji Heavy Industries which Nissan has a stake in.

On a another note, just thinking Volvo truck devision now own's a controlling share of Nissan Deisel (UD) (Ultimate Dependability).

Makes me wonder why Volvo aren't putting there engine's into the UD truck's, Volvo make some good trucks. Dont think so ? Check out the new FH16.

Dave.

My old lsd was pretty lame until it shat itself due to raising issues so i sourced another diff (second hand) whacked that up the back and whoa awesome.... mad lsd works brilliantly my old one was cactus.

My D40 had done about 25k when the diff started to whine. According to Nissan, the crown and pinion were not meshing properly. They replaced it under warranty but took 5 weeks for the parts to come from Spain. Funny thing is since then my brakes have improved 100% (were spongy). I suspect it may have had air in the rear lines since new and having to bleed the brakes after replacing the diff has fixed it.

Norry

Actually it is Fuji Heavy Industries rather than Fiji. Fuji Heavy essentialy is Subaru. Have a look under the rear of any AWD Subie and you will see an R series diff as fitted to the front of the Nav.

If the D40 has a Dana then I would be a lot less keen on one to be honest, at least with an R230 under the back of my R51 Pathfinder I can reasonably expect never to break or wear it out in any normal circumstances. Pity the R200 at the front seems to be a downgraded model, couple that with ABLS that encourages you to go over obstacles with a run and a fair bit of throttle opening and it is no wonder the R51 front diff is developing a reputation for breaking.

I recall there being a recall on the D40 for rear wheel bearing troubles creating noise.

Hi,

I have a 2006 STX dual cab, and its says in the service manual its a LSD, its a Spain built ute. Up to 123000 km and no noise in the diff.

John
Hope my luck holds as I am still on the original brakes

I just had my D40 in at a Nissan dealer to look at a diff whine concern,at 100km's on slight acceleration, the service advisor gave me a weird look when i told him about the problem, then went on to tell me that they have never had a problem with any navara diffs, 1 week later i was told when picking the car up that they could not fault the problem. Needless to say i am pissed off, but i think they were trying to get out of paying for such a repair as its a used car still under statutory warranty.

My 2008 D40 with only 33,000k on the dial has developed a whine from the rear diff. The local dealer agrees the noise is excessive and has book it in with Trans Diff in Melbourne to look at. I previously had 2 Patrols and from experience i thought Nissan built bullet proff diffs! Are the Navara diffs not as rugged!? Is this a known problem and have others had issues?

Second question - my Navara has a droneing/pulsating noise comming from the airconditioning compressor (when it kicks in). The local Dealer tells me this is fairly standard for the D40. I read this as fairly unique for the D40, as no other car I have driven sounds like it. Nice feature Nissan!. By the way I can only hear it mainly due to the factory supplied stereo not working.

Russ
hi mate!i have got the same problem with my 2008 d40 with 75,000k and not realy happy because nissan is saying that maybe is not warranty issue

Latest posts

Back