Diff lock switch 2007 D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All, I've got a D40 2007 4x4 Spanish built Navara. Just wondering if there is a switch for the rear diff lock or not. The 2H, 4h 4L dial switch is there and I would expect the diff lock button to be right next to it but nope, not anywhere to be seen. Every other 4x4 I've owned has had one. I was driving thru very heavy rain and the rear diff lock light on the dash is now on, and wont turn off no matter what I try.

I am thinking that theres a fault causing the light to come on and there is no rear diff lock on the car.

Last edited:
As far as I'm aware the 2007 car didn't have a diff lock, we've all had to get aftermarket units! I just checked the Nissan workshop manual and there's no mention of a diff lock in there for either type of diff (they come with and without Limited Slip).

I've further checked the wiring diagram for the instrument cluster (called a "Combination Meter" in the manual) and there's no listing for a diff lock ... so I wonder if you're talking about the 4WD light instead?

The 4WD function is inhibited by a fault in the ABS system, which will prevent the car from going into 4WD mode and when this occurs it displays the 4WD warning lamp. It would be worthwhile checking the front wheel bearings, because as they start to disintegrate they drop debris in the teeth of the ABS ring which is part of the wheel bearing assembly. Snagging the ABS cables while off-road will also cause this but that's actually less common than a wheel bearing coming apart.

Definately no diff lcck on the car.
I have attached a picture of the warning light thats staying on. It isn't the 4WD light.

Attachments

• 20220211_221513.jpg
    20220211_221513.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
Ok, my car doesn't have a light there. There is a spot for the light just like yours, but when I turn my car on the initial diagnostics don't light that one up at all.

It gets even better. The internal circuit diagram for your model car doesn't have anything listed for that location at all, and there's nothing in the wiring diagram whatsoever.

Further, the section detailing all of the warning lamps (which includes a "Wiper washer fluid level" warning lamp that I know I don't have) doesn't describe this at all.

It is possible that someone has manually added this to that instrument cluster ( "Combination Meter" in the manual) or the entire thing has come from a (slightly) different model car (like a Pathfinder).

Does any of the wiring behind the meter look non-standard? There should be 2 harness plugs entering the back of the meter at the top.

So the issue has been solved. Turns out the universal joints on the front tail shaft were worn out and needed replacement. The light turned off once I replaced both uni joints.

Looks to me more like a centre diff light, x between the two axles - but it is a little blurry. Normally a rear diff lock indicator would be an x between the rear wheels.

Looks to me more like a centre diff light, x between the two axles - but it is a little blurry. Normally a rear diff lock indicator would be an x between the rear wheels.
clicking on the picture brought more clarity for me..
Screenshot_20220803-171857_Samsung Internet.jpg

Latest posts

Back