funell with filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one for when we go around OZ later this year.

What I find truly amasing is if I put water in the funnel, nothing comes out. If I put fuel in the funnel, fuel comes out.

What I haven't yet tried is mixing some diesel & water thoroughly together and seeing what happens. Given it has a fairly high flow rate I was hoping to use it when filling the car from the bowser.

One thing to note is that you will need to attach a hose or something to the end of the filter if you plan on using when filling the fuel tank.

Another thing is it is fairly big and I need to work out how to hold the filter while filling the tank, either by jerry can or bowser.

Chances are that I am going to look like a dick using the filter at the bowser.

Finally, because I have attached a hose to the end of mine, it is fairly long and need to work out a way to store it in the back of the tray without getting diesel everywhere and without it getting covered with dust.

I bought one for when we go around OZ later this year.

What I find truly amasing is if I put water in the funnel, nothing comes out. If I put fuel in the funnel, fuel comes out.

What I haven't yet tried is mixing some diesel & water thoroughly together and seeing what happens. Given it has a fairly high flow rate I was hoping to use it when filling the car from the bowser.

One thing to note is that you will need to attach a hose or something to the end of the filter if you plan on using when filling the fuel tank.

Another thing is it is fairly big and I need to work out how to hold the filter while filling the tank, either by jerry can or bowser.

Chances are that I am going to look like a dick using the filter at the bowser.

Finally, because I have attached a hose to the end of mine, it is fairly long and need to work out a way to store it in the back of the tray without getting diesel everywhere and without it getting covered with dust.

i was thinking the same
i would only use it for jerrycan transfer
if it saves me once while on cape trip when i will be transferring heaps then i guess i could live with its drawbacks

Watching the youtube video they say it is around a 5 micron filter and thats why the water doesnt get through.
What i dont get is why does water get through our 4 micron filters our cars run as standard??

Is it getting through due to being forced by the pressure of the pump, but doesnt with the funnel because its only using gravity??

Pressure does strange things to liquids. Look at milk homogenisation (look it up).

I'd glue a hook on the side of the funnel so you could hook it over the tub wall or the open window of the canopy. Run the hose into the tank from there. Large ziplock bag to protect it while it's in the tub and there are no worries about dust either.

The funnel is 25cm wide and with the bit of hose I put on the end, is 70cm long. Can't imagine it is likely to fit in a zip lock bag. I was thinking a bit of PVC sewer pipe with caps but not sure if I could get some that size either.

Suppose a bucket and plastic bag will do in a pinch. Will be messy though.

I think it will be too long but I could shorten the hose a bit.

Looked on the net and PVC-U stormwater pipe is available 300mm wide. Maybe Reece can cut a bit for their usual price. It will be worth more than the filter.

Anyway Sparra, it's not about me :)

Too bad nobody else has piped up yet.

Last edited:
I've got "Handy Pail"s from Bunnings - 30L with a clip-on lid. I use them for showering in the bush. That'd fit the thing no worries at all. Only bugger is that it's bulky, but at least it'll keep the thing and its hoses clean.

When my son was little my misses bought a 20lt bucket with a seal tight lid especially made for nappies, and that lid did seal real good and so they should because for what ever reason as im sure you guys would know toddlers are like little Houdinie want to be's and can crack a safe in 5 sec flat if they think there is some mess to be made, and those buckets held tight. lol

Yesterday I mixed water and diesel about 50/50. It was a nice milky mixture.

Tipped it in the funnel and nothing came out for about 30 seconds and then it started dripping through.

The funnel did not separate all the water out but certainly gives advance warning that the fuel is contaminated.

I also tipped straight water and straight diesel into the funnel so that there were 2 separate layers of liquid in the funnel at the same time. Only the diesel appeared to be going through.

Pretty good value but a bit inconvenient to use.

I purchased one of those mr funnels before i went to cape thinking it would be a great piece of gear to use in those remote areas. I didnt use it once. Instead i added a double dose of Fuel Dr in every tank i filled to combat the water etc in the diesel fuel. Also i have a dual filter setul so if that didnt catch any debris then they arent doing there job. Didnt have one issue the whole trip regarding fuel. I still have the funnel and its never been used.

Rusty

I have a funnel with strainer in it's base it's probably no where near 5 micron, used it a couple of times filling unleaded from jerry's with my 4runner and Jeep, gravity feeding fuel through a filter/strainer is pretty tedious though and I would rarely do it.
If I filled my jerry's from a good local source before I went I'd add some fuel Dr to preserve it and pour straight in, If I got the diesel from some random suspect location and wanted to be cautious I'd probably add a shot of two stroke to the tank and strain the diesel on the way in, though I'd not want it extremely fine because the process is far too slow.

Latest posts

Back