Castrol Oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My motor has only had Valvoline through it since about 40,000km's before that Nissan's brand oil was used.

Thinking of switching over to Penrite Synthetic now, last oil change I used Valvoline synthetic which is pretty good.

Dave.

quick qeustion - I use 15W-40, but several times I've gone in for a 20L drum and they don't have any but alwasy seems to have plenty of 10W-40. Would that stuff be OK to use? i.e. whats the difference in the W's mean. ta

Lj

I always thought that the first number referred to the temperature range that the oil (when the engine is cold and needs to be started) is suitable for. The second number related to the viscosity of the oil.

So 20W40 oil might be ok for Darwin but it would not lubricate well at Thredbo in winter (that's what the W stands for, I believe - so 15W30 means a 30-something viscosity oil that is suitable for ambient winter temperatures of 15C.

I wonder what Santa uses.

I wonder what Santa uses.

More to the point who does his oil changes. Most of us are looking at oil changes every 10,000ks he covers much more than that in just one night, he'd have to do several services during the trip.

Hope he hasn't got Pay as you drive insurance either it would be fairly high based on the k's

I hope I've got this right, my petro chemistry knowledge is fair at best, but I think the "W" does stand for winter or weight depending on the classification system used, The actual number doesn't refer to the temperature rather a grading system for viscocity at a standard temperatures, I think the tests start at 150C. So multi graded oil of 15W-20 has been classified because it's viscocity passed the test at those temperature ranges.

Latest posts

Back