Roof racks + tonneau or Canopy?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vigilante

Reaction score
I am really not sure which way to go and as I have an 8,000km road trip planned for the end of the year I wouldn't mind getting peoples general opinions and experiences. Cheers! :)

So as I see it, I have three options - if you have other ideas let me know. Prices are based on quotes and ebay :)

1. Roof-rack + D40 Tonneau () = $1700

2. Rhino Rack HD + Rhino Alloy Tray + D40 Tonneau = $1800

3. Tub Canopy = $1900 + postage (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251085317794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

Not sure what you're trying to achieve. That information might be useful in people being then able to advise on what their experiences have been.

Example:

In the past I have had a soft tonneau fitted, then a hard top, now a canopy. Pretty much since new, I have used (on and off) roof racks and a basket.

I used to have the soft tonneau because it was useful for the occasional use the vehicle got - for taking dogs. When needed, I could supplement storage with the roof basket.

Hardtop was the next step for me - to secure hunting gear primarily - out of sight, out of mind. Again, the roof basket was useful when light bulky items (eg swags) wouldn't fit under the hardtop.

These days, my bulky storage requirements are much less common. I have a storage system in the tub, and the dogs travel on top of that (under the canopy).

So it really depends what your needs are.

The tub canopy you link, have to ask, why would you bother? Those sloped ones to my mind seem the worst of both worlds - cost as much as a 'proper' canopy but provide only a fraction of the storage.

I originally went for a custom made steel cover to provide me the security of the hard cover but still keeping the flat of the cover to carry larger loads on (like a tray). However I found that with he hard cover I couldn't get the fridge in the tray when we go camping which wasn't a problem to start with, just chucked it on the back seat. However with a second kid the back seat was needed so that option went out the window.

Have now got for a full canopy from Caddy. Cost me $1900 the same as the one you link, and that is fitted, and provides me shed loads of secure storage.

My two cents worth.

Oh, and the steel cover is for sale if your interested.

+ 1 for not being a fan of those sloped canopies, Not only are the bloody ugly they are useless.
there is a D40 around my area with one and i cant stand the look of it at all.
BUT each to their own i guess.

Out of the three choices i would say number 2

I am thinking a canopy would be the way to go though just because it would increase the storage capacity as well as making it more secure than roof bars. Not to mention I wouldn't be adding excessive height to the vehicle and therefore be raising the centre of gravity.

Fair cop regarding the look of that canopy though - I would probably consider going for a more conventional looking one anyway :) Those Caddy ones look pretty sweet, might make some enquiries!

Thanks for the responses.

List price the Caddys aren't cheap but they are VERY good quality. Also on their web page they have a "factory seconds" section where you can get good discounts for "defects" bearly noticeable. Give it a look

We did a tour through the outback last October. Was an awesome trip. But we got a canopy with roof racks (roof top tent) plus fitted roof racks on the cab which held a Rhino rack. Only fitted a 2nd spare on that with Maxtrax. The canopy held a lot more room for food, water and spare diesel compared to the tonneau cover we had.

But like I heard mentioned above - horses for courses :) You can fit a lot of stuff in the tub with a canopy - just make sure it is tied down :p

Trial And error on paper. I'v been tossing up on the same but in the end I'm sticking with soft cover, lockable poly boxers bolted in rails. That way if things go pear shaped the stuff in the boxes will stay dry, touch wood. Currently have a set of (on/off) racks waiting to find a home as I'm worried the missus will take the lights off in a shopping center car-park. I'll be towing a camper most of the time on longer trips so tub storage ant a big deal.

I was looking around today with the same considerations when i came across these, http://www.steelcanopy.com.au/, they would be a lot more durable then the fiberglass option just not sure on weight

They are 100kgs so about 15-25 more. In saying that when you put on a roof rack with fiberglass you loss that 15kgs to rack supports, where the Razorback canopy is steel doesn't need rack supports. I have a mate that has one on his Triton and he loves it.

I hate Canopy as to me I bought a Navara not a Pathfinder, But if I had to get a Canopy it would be a Razorback canopy Or a G500 http://www.carryboy.com.au/nissan-navara-d40-ute-2005/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back