Blatant revenue raising

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer fudd

Reaction score
To the low life,scum sucking Parking Ranger who patrols the streets and carparks (especially around the old KFC building) in Windsor NSW. Thanks for nothing.$101 just vacated my wallet. Remember what they say:"Kharma is a bitch".

I saw a VIC Police top dog on a news program a couple of years ago that answered the revenue raising quetion of speed cameras the best I've ever heard. His response was something like this... "Yes, it is revenue raising and it brings in a lot of revenue, however, it's a voluntary contribution, you choose to speed, we catch you, we charge the money."

It still amazes me that people complain about getting a fine when they know they're in the wrong and are fully aware that being in the wrong can bring about a fine. No sympathy from me, don't want the fine, obey the rules

I saw a VIC Police top dog on a news program a couple of years ago that answered the revenue raising quetion of speed cameras the best I've ever heard. His response was something like this... "Yes, it is revenue raising and it brings in a lot of revenue, however, it's a voluntary contribution, you choose to speed, we catch you, we charge the money."

It still amazes me that people complain about getting a fine when they know they're in the wrong and are fully aware that being in the wrong can bring about a fine. No sympathy from me, don't want the fine, obey the rules

That's not strictly so , it's the threshold their set to that pisses people off and where their put, I've had 3 in 3 months and I drive on my GPS for speed measurement , and they were all for 3 ks over the limit , and in areas where where you would be seriously watching the road , not looking at your bloody speedo , iam supprised there's not more fatalities on the road , as people don't look at the thing when they drive , everyone's too bloody concerned with looking at their speedos or parked cars , and if you drive for a living , speeding fines are the cost of doing business . Which is bullshit ,

Last edited:
I've only had one speeding fine is 30+ years of driving (more good luck than goody two shoesness). Detected doing 57 in a 50 zone, fined at 53, so yes, it's only 3 k's over, but they chop some off, they always do from what I've heard.

And people don't always intentionally break the rules, ever driven through an area interstate and wondered what the speed limit was? It's very easy.

Try disputing the parking fine. I've done that and got away with it, paid $0.00. All I had to do was ring up, speak calmly and politely like a civilized human being, provide some paperwork and it wasn't a problem. Not saying it will work for everyone, but it worked for me in that case, could be worth a try, read the small print on the fine.

everyone's too bloody concerned with looking at their speedos or parked cars , and if you drive for a living , speeding fines are the cost of doing business . Which is bullshit ,

What is BS is that people want to keep making excuses for it. If a driver can not drive at or below the speed limit without constantly looking at the speedo to maintain a speed they shouldn't have a license much less be driving for a living.

As for the OP, there is no mention as to whether he was actually parked illegally. If he was parked legally, it will be easy to get out of, if he was parked illegally then I guess karma really is a bitch

N
What is BS is that people want to keep making excuses for it. If a driver can not drive at or below the speed limit without constantly looking at the speedo to maintain a speed they shouldn't have a license much less be driving for a living.

As for the OP, there is no mention as to whether he was actually parked illegally. If he was parked legally, it will be easy to get out of, if he was parked illegally then I guess karma really is a bitch

Bullshit krafty , if you recon you can drive in peak city traffic and not have
your speed vary by 3 ks , your a wanker
Never heard such a crock of crap in my life

Last edited:
I said AT OR BELOW the speed limit. If you aren't good enough to drive at the speed limit without fluctuating so much drop 5ks and give yourself room. In peak hour traffic loosing 5ks would mean nothing to any trip.

I ve proved , driving at the speed Limit WON'T stop you getting a speeding fine , they set the things at 3 % , our speedos aren't accurate to +- 5% , and I do 150,000 ks a year and I have the fines to prove it , their all within 3 ks

A quote from old tony
"It's a limit not a target"
But its also quite easy to be distracted long enough to go over the limit
There is not enough buffer in my opinion
So it is in some situations revenue raising
Remember the Speedos in most of our navs are 10% out
My GPS reads 8 ks slower than Speedo with std tyres

Last edited:
At the end of the day those who want to keep paying the government their portion of voluntary tax contributions will keep making excuses for why they are doing it.

It would be easy to start a pissing contest about who has driven the most ks and who drives the best but most pissing contests just end in wet feet and it''s not worth it.

Or as I say to my newly licensed kids when told "the speed sign says 80 Dad" I reply with "I'm doing 80 ......... plus a bit more"

:wavey:
Gday
If the govts were as concerned about improving the safety of many of the roads as they were catchin someone 3k's over the limit, it would do a lot more for the road toll than adding more cameras
In Qld, the number of cameras keep increasing, & so does the road toll. Kinda null & voids the same humdrum reason we get for increasing cameras..."for road safety". Cant be workin if the road toll continues to increase. In fact, cameras are a poor substite for uniforms on the road......a camera takes a pic of someone speedin like a maniac but doesnt stop em killin someone down the road, a copper pulls the bugger over & sorts im out!! Cameras are related to pure economics rather than road safety, as road toll figures prove.
In some areas round here, over the last 12 months, instead of improving the conditions & safety of roads, the speed limits keep getting dropped lower & lower, double the bonus for govt, dont have to spend money on providing a decent road, & more likely to make more camera revenue due to lower speed limits.
In fact, one road in my area, has been a (safe) 100kph road all my life, untill recently, now that the road is in the best condition it has been in for many many years (due to flood damage restoration/upgrade work) & the fact that cars are safer than they ever have been..............they drop the speed limit to 80kph!!
cheers
michalex

Iam sorry for being snappy , however most comments like this come from people who live on the country and have 100 km between towns or people that do 10,000 a year dropping the kids at school , driving 5 ks to work and a 400 k holiday trip , then they look at you like your a pedaphile when you get a speeding fine
Most have no idea how stressful it is driving long distance for work , balancing speed , safety , vehicle control , watching for hazards , speed , idiot drivers , the list is endless , all while trying not to have your wages fleesed by the government , not to mention the average driver whom does 20,000 k a year had the luxury of 12 demerit points to spend on their indiscretions , we have the same points , but I for one have to spread them 7.5 times the distance , and no the government will never allocate more points to professional drivers , to do so would be admitting that the things are pure revenue raising devices and every one gets caught in their net

:wavey:
Gday
Well said steve1961
It always makes me laugh when the self rightous start takin those tones about someone who gets a speeding fine. Fact of the matter is, that these days, in so many places, their is so much signage & the speed zones change so frequently & quickly, that it plays right into the hands of govts revenue raising. If you are in an unfamiliar area that is like this, you DO have to keep watching the side of the road for (sometimes obscure) speed sign changes, instead of watching the traffic all around you, & it is a FACT that sometimes, with the flow of heavy traffic around you, your DO sometimes creep up over the speed limit to safely stick with the flow.....otherwise it leads to dickheads darting without warning into the smallest of gaps in front of you (generally as traffic ahead is breaking :-/ ) because you have lagged behind a bit, particularly dangerous if you are driving a heavy vehicle. Unless of course you are one of those that self rightously stick 10km below the speed limit, which then frustrates the flow of traffic & people start duckin & weaving across lanes in heavy traffic to get around you.....now that is the cause of a LOT more accidents than travelling a few kms over the speed limit!!
Cheers
michalex

But not everyone does get caught in the net. I did 15 years on the road, lost 3 points and got 1 warning in the entire time, I know guys that did heaps more ks than I did and did it for longer and have never been fined.

Sure the net may get a bit tighter from time to time and some people feel restricted by that net but no one driver should ever get compensations or rewards over another purely because of their title.

Points shouldn't ever be allocated based on distance that would be giving professional drivers a reward for the distance they travel and too many people would use it that way. It's like suggesting that a driver who holds a CAMS license is allowed three burnouts a year before they get a ticket.

If the governments made some agreement that all 60 zones would now be 65 because they wanted to allow for the fluctuation people can't seem to control then the same minority of people complaining that they can't maintain 60 without the fluctuation will then start driving at 65 and again bitch when the get a fine for 68. No matter what the limit is or what percentage of error there is those who get fined will always whinge about how unfair it is and will always make excuses for why it's unfair.

Try warn ponds to colac , traveling to Portland , where there's current road works , the bloody speed limit changes 13 times in 20 km , it's up n down more than a brides nightie

Here's one of the easiest ways to get a speeding fine. Drive through Victorian suburbs near schools several times a day on school days.

This is my thought pattern during such times.

What day is it? Is it a school day? What time is it? Is that a reduced speed time? Am I in that reduced speed zone? Shit I can't slow down, that bloody fully loaded B Double is up my arse. Am I still in that speed zone? Is it a school day? I wonder if a public holiday holiday is still a school day?

I don't know how people without kids at school ever know if it's a school day?

Try warn ponds to colac , traveling to Portland , where there's current road works , the bloody speed limit changes 13 times in 20 km , it's up n down more than a brides nightie

I thought I heard those road works had finished??? I really don't know. Massive work being there, truly massive.

Sorry to digress.

No , the freeway is done , but the rest is years off , and what's worse is the bloody signs change on almost a daily basis

it's a simple thing that if you go over the limit and get caught, you get a fine.
sparra - if your truck is reading 10km over with std tyres, I'd be giving it to Nissan to deal with, I'm sure the ADR allowance is much less than that.

Most manufactures intentionally make their speedo read 4-5% under the actual speed for this very reason. it's better to let people believe they are going faster than they are then let them believe they're going slower than they really are. I know there is an ADR allowance for speedo fluctuations but I can't remember the actual figure.

In saying all that, most of us on here have all checked out speedo against a GPS or some other form of self-calibration, so can't use the "my speedo reads incorrectly" as an excuse as it's a known value that can be compensated for while driving.

steve - I agree that guys who drive for a living have to deal with more on the roads, but for the most part, the government would probably turn around and say you have more experience and skill and therefor shouldn't use up the 12 demerit points. that's a kick in the teeth as drivers with lesser skill shouldn't be rewarded, however, the logic in saying you drive more therefore you know more and are more aware and less likely to make mistakes is a valid point

I personally do about 50k a year, so while not 150k, it's still a fair junk of driving considering i'm at work for 10+ hrs a day with the car not moving. I know I'm not always under the limit, so if I get a fine, I accept it and move on. If i'm low on points, I make a more conscious effort to be well and truly under the limit. I know my speedo is accurate and trust it and have only had one fine in the last 3 years which was well and truly my own doing

As for the cameras, without any facts to back it up, I personally agree that they probably do cause accidents, I think the government is better off putting up random 24hr speed camera signs. I know I slow down whenever I see one of them predicting a camera ahead where as a van that just pops up generally causes a rapid speed check and jumping on the brakes if needed

Latest posts

Back