Windscreen damage

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V9x

Reaction score
I must have run over a china man or something ,because I'm not having any luck with my nav lately. First I get bogged and rip off a brake line and abs cable which cost me a small fortune to fix, now on my way back from gippsland I coped a nasty stone chip that has put a 30cm crack through the drivers side of my windscreen :mad:

So my question is this, does anyone know if the 2012 stx windscreen is the same as all the other d40s ? I have a feeling it may be bigger .

Anyone one had to replace windscreen on their nav and how much for replacement ?

Im pretty sure the only size difference is between the Spanish and Thai models, the Thai has a rubber that goes around the screen where your wont have, its most easily noticed if you look at where the windscreen and roof line meet.
the other difference is the tinted section at the top of the screen, which seems to vary allot between all the models.

And its worthwhile shopping around too , a female friend of mine with a D22 got quoted near $ 700.00 from a big name company , and eventually had the local bloke do it for $ 218.00

Sorry took so long to get back to this, crazy busy the last few days. I got a few quotes and there is some slight variation in the windscreens but for the most part they are the same. Best price fitted is $220 . I'm thinking I might get it done after I do my drive upto Queensland ,in case it happens again lol . Thanks for your input fellas!

And its worthwhile shopping around too , a female friend of mine with a D22 got quoted near $ 700.00 from a big name company , and eventually had the local bloke do it for $ 218.00

yep. i got about the same prices. when i said, **** me that's steep, they come back $200 cheaper and threw in a free chip repair.
I still went with a local mob for $250 or $300 with a new rubber from memory
added glass protection to my insurance after that :)

yep. i got about the same prices. when i said, **** me that's steep, they come back $200 cheaper and threw in a free chip repair.
I still went with a local mob for $250 or $300 with a new rubber from memory
added glass protection to my insurance after that :)

Do you think the glass insurance is worth it? I said no to it with my policy as I thought the extra cost didn't justify it. This is my first screen replacement in ten years of driving . If it is a hire car I always insurance up to the max

What about the stone guards like on trucks? Most of my chips happen low down and I'm looking at getting one for my nav. Unless ur the swamp chicken that happened to hit the middle of the windscreen at 100 km/hr and nearly joined us in the cab!

I have glass cover with Suncorp. Covers all windows, cost $11 extra

What about the stone guards like on trucks? Most of my chips happen low down and I'm looking at getting one for my nav. Unless ur the swamp chicken that happened to hit the middle of the windscreen at 100 km/hr and nearly joined us in the cab!

I used to get good stone chips on my bonnet so I bought a protector . Now I just get them on my windscreen instead : )

Bear in mind that in Vic a cracked windscreen is only unroadworthy and in need of replacement if the crack hampers the drivers vision. Only you can answer whether paying extra for the first windscreen you've broken in 10 years is worthwhile but even at $10 a year you've have forked over $100 for one $200 windscreen if you'd missed that one rock you'd have paid $100 for nothing.

Well I can cover it up with my sun visor so as long as that is down I guess it's still roadworthy : ) yeah I'll look into glass cover on my policy and see if it's worth it. I think I might get it but I'll see.

Some cops may vary with their opinion but if you can sit in your driving position and the crack does not cross your vision it's not going to cop a canary. If it's high enough that your visor covers it no copper should try to argue it.

Yeah it's right up the top of the screen about 30 cm long . My only concern is that if I leave it and drive to Queensland next week , I might cop another stone and the screen might shatter. Or does that sound silly?

You could cop a stone anywhere anytime. I'd be more concerned about an interstate cop pulling you over and trying to ping you for something that is ok in Victoria. Although it would be a prick of a cop that would do it.

Atleast your dickheads only use rocks, down here they use bluestone bricks and concrete chunks that nearly take two people to lift.

I have had my share of coppers like that lol. Perhaps pleading poor and saying it just happened coming out of the last town, say Dubbo for example, or some of the locals there "welcomed me ". Im sure I wouldn't be the first out of towner to have something like that happen to them whilst driving through there .

With my D22 i copped a rock in the bottom corner of the screen which quickly turned into a crack that run all the way across the entire screen, after putting up with it for weeks i finally got a new one and no more ten a week later copped another one in the exact same spot with the exact same result.
All i can say is NRMA glass cover got a work out, lol
The really crappy part was two months into owning my first D40 and on my way back from the snow copped a third bloody rock, NRMA is on speed dial!!
touch wood i havnt had one since and have done over 130,000km

Latest posts

Back