Z24 Idle Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z24troy

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum and 4x4s.
I've recently bought an 88 with a Z24 and the bloke I bought it off told me the carby needs replacing.
When it's cold, it won't idle properly, and I have to hold the accelerator on for about 5-6 minutes to stop it from stalling but when it's warm, I can turn it on and off until the cows come home with no issues.

Before I splash out on something I really can't afford at the moment, is there anything I could check that could be causing this to happen?

Thanks in advance :)

yeah im not familiar with the z24. maybe someone can shed more light on it but if you take the top of the carby of you can see the choke tap. from there you should see if it moves what not...

on the side of the carb is the location of the auto choke assembly. If it is stuffed then i would thing a replacement would be the only way

G'day, welcome mate. Does definitely sound carby related. My guess is the choke is not working.
Best way to check is remove the air cleaner first thing in the morning before starting. The choke flap, a little flap in across the throat of the carby. Should be connected to a bi metallic strip (spring) inclosed in a black round housing on the outside of the carburetor. From memory they were electrically operated on that model. 12 volts is passed thru the spring and it winds the choke off as it gets hot. With age they burn out so people would wind the black housing around to wind the choke off to avoid it staying on. Or it could be opposite, the choke is wound on to much really choking the engine and running way rich and takes a few minutes to wind off enough to run ok but there will be lots of black smoke.

If it's buggered there maybe manual choke conversion kits available for them, well at least there use to be. They were relatively inexpensive. Cheaper than a new carb or full overhaul of it.

Is the black housing you've mentioned at the back (cab side) of the carby? If so, it does have some wiring running to it so I'd assume that's it. I just took the air cleaner off and found the nasty surprise of it being half full of oil so here's another mission for me. There's never been any smoke when I've started it.

Yeah I was thinking about going back to basics before spending anything. Having a broken foot makes it a little hard to work on it for long periods of time though, so I'm doing it as much as the painkillers will let me haha

After 3 weeks of resting, I just wanna play cars! Or at least fixed the bike I killed breaking my foot in the first place.

yeah mate take it easy keep your foot up improves the blood supply/return=faster healing:)

I would not worry to much about the oil in the air cleaner assembly unless it has really impregnated the air cleaner element. In which case it would run rich. Just clean it out, it's just the blow by from the engine breather.

The round thing you mentioned, can't remember the orientation on them on that carb but yep i think you've found it. It's connected to the choke flap. Check to see if you have 12volts+ going to it with the ignition on. That is not say it still works. Can you see the choke flap mentioned in the top of throat of the carby?

Last edited:
Nah the air cleaner element is pretty clean except for a tiny bit of the chrome ring on it. Yeah I can see it there, is there something I can do there?

Latest posts

Back