Intake system - yd25 turbo engine

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WIR35

Reaction score
I have been wondering, does the common rail diesel engine have a fundamentally similar intake system to a conventional turbo petrol motor? ie, Air travels through; air filter > intake pipe > throttle body > inlet manifold > injectors > combustion chamber, with a vacuum actuated wastegate? or is the setup different?

Reason I ask is that I am tossing up putting in boost recirculation valve (AKA blow off valve venting back into the intake pipe) to reduce impeller stalling when changing gears in the hope of keeping the turbo spinning when the throttle is lifted. I know how these devices work with petrol motors, but have never had any experience with diesels...

Re the first part......With the inclusion of travelling through the compressor/turbo, fundamentaly yes

Last edited by a moderator:
It does work but the advantages are less marked because there is no sudden flow rate drop as there is with a petrol motor that stalls the turbo - as maddogrc just said, no throttle.

the ZD30 runs a throttle like butterfly for the egr system. i don't know if the common rail D22 YD25 does tho.
BOV's do work even without a throttle, you just have to trigger it electrically and operate it with system vacuum. how much gain......bugger all, i certainly wouldn't bother better to spend the $$$ elsewhere.

you do not require a butterfly throttle for a BOV to work. i know a few have them running on diesels without any throttle butterfly.

not necessarily pointless, just expensive for minimal gain. the ones i know of where done on modded motors running large boost. for a stock motor it would be pointless.

Latest posts

Back