6 Wheeler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitch76

Reaction score
Saw this down Burpengary way this arvo

Image0019.sized.jpg

Wow. Its carrying capacity must be around the 1600Kg mark. Looks like a real workhorse! Be interesting to get some figures on it - how long is the vehicle now, what's its kerb weight etc.

Shame he's got the same brake dust problem we have.

Edit: It'd also be interesting to find out if he's driving all of those rear wheels or just using the rear two for support.

geez thats one of the biggest 6w iv seen...massive tray, cant really tell if there drop sides as it looks like a 3 tonner truck tray lol. hope the clutch stands by them.

It wasn't a Nav but here was a 6 wheel conversion Patrol in one of the 4wd mags recently and although the third axle was a lazy axle they guy still reckoned he'd managed to push the payload up to over 4.5 tonnes, although it was registered under 4.5 due to him not wanting to get a light truck licence to drive it. Also reckoned the lazy axle was costing a fortune in rubber with the tyres only lasting about 15K because of the way they work.

I read something somewhere else a few years ago when 6 wheel conversions were getting quite popular that the cost of making the third axle a drive axle was fairly steep and the extra work didn't really warrant it for the pay off, but that could have changed these days.

It wasn't a Nav but here was a 6 wheel conversion Patrol in one of the 4wd mags recently and although the third axle was a lazy axle they guy still reckoned he'd managed to push the payload up to over 4.5 tonnes, although it was registered under 4.5 due to him not wanting to get a light truck licence to drive it. Also reckoned the lazy axle was costing a fortune in rubber with the tyres only lasting about 15K because of the way they work.

I saw that article too. That argument doesn't make a lot of sense to me, Dave Ritson says the same thing about his supertourer, but LR licenses are like <$200 and easy as pie to get. Seems a lot to cheat yourself out of just to save $200.

I guess it does allow him the freedom to let all his mates or maybe the missues drive it when he isn't. While most of my mates have endorsed licences there are some that don't and I know if I was in the bush with one of them and something happened to me I'd like to think they could get me home legally.

I guess the other thing that guy took into account is that anything over 4.5 tonnes is dearer to register and and can incur other restrictions that under 4.5 doesn't. Like for instance that new rule the Vic government wants to bring in for right hand lane traffic, that's for anything over 4.5 tonnes, of course the average person checking might not realise that guys Patrol is over 4.5 at first glance but legally he wouldn't be allowed to drive in the right hand lane when that law comes in.

(For the record, I'm not debating the proposed law, there is other threads for that, and I'm not suggesting this is the only ute that will be effected I'm just pointing out this one particular instance. which could be a good reason not to have a ute over 4.5 tonne.)

I agree about the rego cost, that hadn't occurred to me. He only can't drive in the right lane in a few places, ie the M1 but that is 3-4 lane anyway, the Westgate and the ring road.

Personally I'd take the higher GVWR but that's just me.

Last edited:
He seemed to have it pretty well set up for his exact camping needs, he might have decided he didn't need to be over 4.5 tonne to cart what fits in.

I'm not sure I'd want to be paying the extra rego, insurance and other related costs just to be able to carry a few more kg's but at the same time you'd also have to take into account every road you travel, from suburban roads to highways.

It's not just the proposed law that you'd have to be careful of, many suburban streets have load limits, he'd have to pull over at every open weigh bridge, he'd be restricted on some roads (like the Hume) to only driving certain hours. There is a probably more hassles involved in having the extra weight than it's worth, especially if he doesn't use every bit of it at all times.

Can't we make it bigger Dad?

Be interesting too see the GVM on that thing (don't remember seeing in mentioned in the thread).

Bet there is a few dollars tied up in that thing though.

Back