Engine rattles....

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAD D40

Reaction score
I had a deacent rattle coming under the bonnet of my Diesel D40 when driving.
I have noticed a few of you guys talking about some rattles in the Diesel D40 claiming it to be A/C compressor and other things.
I took mine into the dealership complained about the noise and to my suprise they fixed it under warranty !!!!!!! and claimed it to be the clutch dampener.:dancing:

Not sure we've had that one on here before (could be wrong I don't pay that much attention). Seems like everyone has their own D40 rattle all those D22 guys will get jealous they aren't getting a factory fitted rattle.

Who knows they wouldnt even tell me what they actually did to fix it when i asked.
But to my suprise they actually did fix it. I have never had a rattle fixed before usually its a nothing to worry about basis.

I had a weird rattle coming from my d40 at certain rpm's, just put muddies on and turned the stereo up, then when I was measuring up for bash plates out popped a Snap On 1/4" drive ratchet and 10mm socket!
I bet an aprentice has had his arse reamed over that one.
Still in the d40, now in the toolbox though

nice score, best part of $200 better off in your pocket. you'll probably pay for it in the long run with the prices dealerships charge.

Hey guys what is a clutch dampener, I have not heard of that one. The reason I ask my D40 manual has developed a rattle under acelleration and if I just touch the clutch pedal it stops the noise. I was thinking of the release bearing but they usually rattle at idle in neutral, which mine isn't. Maybe mine is this mysterious dampener as well.

Norry

I've had my manual diesel D40 since July 2007 and done about 78000km. Had the noise/rattle under acceleration particularly under load like towing, not long after I got it. It drove me crazy and I had to put up with it until Nissan finally figured it was clutch damper in Jan 2009. They said "inspected and found clutch damper noisey removed inside of diaphram and refitted and bleed all ok"

I still don't understand the mechanics of it but it hasn't reappeared since apart from a very rare tiny minor rattle which I can stop by putting light pressure on the clutch pedal. It hasn't bothered me since.

I think it was a fairly common problem which Nissan now seems to be fixing. Not sure whether it occurs on later models or not.

The noise is apparantly in the harmonics thats why it only comes at certain revs when its matched with the motor.
My rattle has since come back anyway maby they just cable tied the clutch hose and the cable tie slipped who knows with dealers these days.
Now my interior light has a mind of its own works only if it wants to makes great fun finding house keys at night.
Fix one thing another breaks

Latest posts

Back