Td25 engine swapping.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon

Reaction score
I'm starting to get fed up with my Td25's lack of power. Just wondering what engines will bolt straight in?
Does the td42 bolt to a td25 gearbox? I dont mind having to make custom engine mounts or cut inner guards etc but I dont want to mess about with any common rail drive by wire bollocks.
I've looked for TD32 but they are very hard to find over here. What other options are there? SD, RD, ZD etc.

no such thing as TD32.
there is no way your going to fit the long 6cyl TD42 under the bonnet. even the FD42 (4cyl) will probably not under the bonnet. not to mention the huge amount of weight would make it very nose heavy.

easiest option is the TD27T (2.7 turbo) which is commonly found in the terrano (tho was advailable in navara). afaik you will need to the TD27T bell housing and it will bolt up to the TD25 gearbox. there is a manual injection (no computer) version so its very easy install.

otherwise the QD32T out of the later terrano, but i'm not sure exactly whats involved and if it bolts up to existing gearbox. tho at 115kw i would want to use a stronger box than the td25 box. also most are electonic tho it could be converted to manual injection.

no such thing as TD32.
there is no way your going to fit the long 6cyl TD42 under the bonnet. even the FD42 (4cyl) will probably not under the bonnet. not to mention the huge amount of weight would make it very nose heavy.

easiest option is the TD27T (2.7 turbo) which is commonly found in the terrano (tho was advailable in navara). afaik you will need to the TD27T bell housing and it will bolt up to the TD25 gearbox. there is a manual injection (no computer) version so its very easy install.

otherwise the QD32T out of the later terrano, but i'm not sure exactly whats involved and if it bolts up to existing gearbox. tho at 115kw i would want to use a stronger box than the td25 box. also most are electonic tho it could be converted to manual injection.

Sorry I meant QD32. We dont get them in terrano's over here though, they came in homy's and elgrand's which are imports and rwd only.

Terrano's here come with TD27t as does the Ford maverick which is essentially the same vehicle. I can get one of these fairly cheap.

What I want is something that will fit the bellhousing, but as much torque as possible as I do a lot of towing.
I dont mind cutting and welding bodywork to make things fit.
I'm not going to modify the belhousing for an extra 200cc, I may as well fit one of my spare mopar smallblocks if i have to start changing gearboxes and prop shafts.

Your Ford Maverick must be different to our Ford Maverick. Our Mavericks are the same as a Patrol....

I reckon you might get a VQ30DE, DET or DETT in there (300ZX/Fairlady Z/Maxima/Cima) I can't comment on the ease of installation but most of the nissan V6 engines are fairly similar setup, so I would assume it would fit, with some massaging. You could get a complete front cut for next to nothing, and a custom bell housing and other parts. Should work in theory.

Sorry I meant QD32. We dont get them in terrano's over here though, they came in homy's and elgrand's which are imports and rwd only.

Terrano's here come with TD27t as does the Ford maverick which is essentially the same vehicle. I can get one of these fairly cheap.

What I want is something that will fit the bellhousing, but as much torque as possible as I do a lot of towing.
I dont mind cutting and welding bodywork to make things fit.
I'm not going to modify the belhousing for an extra 200cc, I may as well fit one of my spare mopar smallblocks if i have to start changing gearboxes and prop shafts.

nothing is going to fit the bell housing. even the TD27 uses different bell housing but you can still use the same gearbox. the TD27T would be the easiest swap.
going from a atmo 2.5 to turbo 2.7 should put a big smile on your face ! especially if boost and fuel is wound up.

Mate go the TD27T, easiest option as Tweake said.

A QD32ETI out of JDM R50 Pathfinder would be another good swap.

Dave.

Your Ford Maverick must be different to our Ford Maverick. Our Mavericks are the same as a Patrol....

Yeah, we don't have many jap vehicles, and the ones we do have are crap because it makes the compulsory insurance cheaper.
Have a look on ebay.co.uk and see how few toyotas and nissans there are compared with citroen, renault, peugoet, bmw, vw etc.

Attachments

• terrano.jpg
    terrano.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 189
  • maverick.jpg
    maverick.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 144
A QD32ETI out of JDM R50 Pathfinder would be another good swap.

Dave.

They've only had Pathfinders here since 05 I think, and they all seem to be 2.5 DCI versions.

To get the 3.2 I'd need to buy one of these ugly Elgrand things, and they're not cheap.

Attachments

• elgrand.jpg
    elgrand.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 165
Thank you, fingers crosssed the little bit of info I need will be there, otherwise I think it'll be a case of trial and error. Have just put a reco TD25 long motor in using the old injection pump but I think it's slightly out because it's starting roughly and dies a bit in power when warmed up and I put the foot down. Cheers.

Thanks Dave, I think so but I'm not sure. Have to wait until after midnight to do off-peak. Not UK, Oz. Cheers.

For those like myself who might wonder how to time your TD25 injector pump (Bosch VE type) there is a very simple method. Don't worry about getting a micrometer gauge setup to look for a change in the plunger pump depth. Unnecessary effort and cost.

Quite simply, if you have set your timing cogs correctly with the marked teeth aligned (ie: one X between the other two Xs), all you have to do next is align the marked line etched into the side of the injector body (where it bolts onto the rear of the timing cover case), with the corresponding line etched into the rear of the timing cover case. You should be able to clearly see them (if they're not covered in oil or dirt - use a toothbrush and petrol to clean the area if they are).

Then with the etched lines aligned, tighten the three nuts there and also the bolt down at the lower mounting bracket (all these four bolts go through slotted holes to enable you to rotate the injector pump body to align the etched lines while the cogs stay where they are). It takes about half an hour to do it with a 12mm spanner on the three timing case nuts and an extended 13mm ratchet socket on the lower mounting bracket bolt.

I didn't have to remove anything from around the injector pump to perform the task.

Simply, just loosen off the four nuts, turn the injector pump body to align the marks, then tighten the nuts again, that's all.

Starts and runs beautiful now. :)

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back