DESPERATELY NEED HELP! Engine removal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z24troy

Reaction score
I'm trying to swap the Z24's between my 2 D21's and I'm stuck.
The engine and gearbox are still connected to eachother and I'm really hoping to keep it that way.
Whenever I try lift it out, the sump seems to get caught on something (the front diff I think)
Is there any way I can get around this? IE take the sump off or something? Or am I gonna have to separate the gearbox from the engine?
Or if someone wants to come round (Ferntree Gully Melb) and give me a hand, there's a slab in it for them.

Im pretty sure you cant remove the engine and gearbox together on 4x4 models. Ive removed the z24 a couple of times from my old d21 and had to unbolt the gear box. Also had to lower the front diff by removing the bolts from the Diff carrier and mounts at the front of the Diff, 4 in total. Will need to remove the front drive shaft before the diff is lowered. Even with the Diff lowered it is still a pain in the arse trying to get the sump to clear it. The gear box had to be jacked up as I raised the engine also untill it clears the diff and can be pull away from the gearbox. Putting it back in is just as painful. I Dont think I have ever sweared so much when doing it. Someone had a better description somewhere in the forum for this process, I think it may have Pinelli or Dave. Highly recommend putting in a KA24E as they are a better motor. I just put one in a 1992 dual cab I picked up with a blown motor and the power difference is noticably much better.

The usual method is to split the trans and engine, remove both cross members (which means removing the torsion bars, need to support the chassis up on jack stands) and take the transmission out first, then the engine comes straight out.

I have done it without removing the gearbox first but it was a PITA and I bent the clutch spring fingers with the gearbox input shaft - the motor and clutch were headed for scrap anyway. Not sure if you can get the new motor in that way undamaged.

Latest posts

Back