Towing with aircon

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mgmd40

Reaction score
Do any of you guys tow with the d23? I'm quite disappointed with the towing with the aircon on, looking at doing power upgrades to help this, without aircon it's normal, but dramatically different with it on.

D40 was a lot better, unnoticeable between air on or off. And better on fuel also.

I've been back to nissan with a few complaints only to have them say it's normal,
A few small things id like to know if anyone else experiences,

Knock in front suspension going down bumps, gutters etc, feels like worn ball joints would.
Very loud ticking/nocking in engine slowing down, with no load eg 4th gear slowing up to a set of lights.
Terrible suspension, 80 kgs sees the rear on bump stops.
Aircon sucks all the power from the car, where d40 was great.

Any feedback would be appreciated. It won't make any difference now as I'm stuck with the car now, just wondering if it's common.

Not sure about 80kgs sagging the rear to the bumpstops. But in referance to your aircon ploblem, the average compressor needs about 8hp to drive it. given the output of that motor you should not even notice it. Can you take the service manager for a drive and point out the issues?, I had to do this 3 times for them to look into problems correctly.

Yeah the loud ticking on Decel is really annoying me also...

But yes, I towed with mine on the weekend. I had approx 1.8-2.0 ton on the towball. Did it with no stress at all. Was not 'on the bump stops' but only had about 1" of rear suspension travel. Deffo needs a lift kit or something.

Any idea what the tongue load was?

I wouldn't expect suspension compression to be that much with less than 300kg on the tongue.

My car trailer when loaded with my circuit car has a down load of approx 120kg - the diesel CX5 before the NP300 used to sit level. I expect that the np300 will sit roughly the same under that amount of tongue load.

Do any of you guys tow with the d23? I'm quite disappointed with the towing with the aircon on, looking at doing power upgrades to help this, without aircon it's normal, but dramatically different with it on.

D40 was a lot better, unnoticeable between air on or off. And better on fuel also.

I've been back to nissan with a few complaints only to have them say it's normal,
A few small things id like to know if anyone else experiences,

Knock in front suspension going down bumps, gutters etc, feels like worn ball joints would.
Very loud ticking/nocking in engine slowing down, with no load eg 4th gear slowing up to a set of lights.
Terrible suspension, 80 kgs sees the rear on bump stops.
Aircon sucks all the power from the car, where d40 was great.

Any feedback would be appreciated. It won't make any difference now as I'm stuck with the car now, just wondering if it's common.

Firstly, how much load are you towing?

Either way, you're not going to be winning any races, ac on or off.

Most new vehicles these days have quite efficient compressors, meaning that thier operation is usually pretty seamless and unnoticed by the driver.

Also, if you're regularly carrying load and it is compressing to that degree, might be worth investing in some airbags inside the rear springs.

Air bags are ok in coils, because you're not changing the point of contact of the load.

Factory springs are not only rated for a maximum load of 27.5 grams, they collapse immediately on exiting the dealership on the first drive home.

Actually I lie, you might manage 27.6 grams without full spring compression. I know my D40 leaves inverted quickly and my attempt to use Ironman Load Plus helper springs only lasted briefly before I bit the bullet and bought some decent aftermarket springs (leaves). You can make dual rate coils - they're not simple to make but they can be made. Don't know if they're available for the NP300 yet.

My biggest issue, is i do not want to sacrifice comfort as that was the main reason for buying the truck over others.

I don't want to just chuck a massively heavy spring under there.

Thanks for the replys, towing weight is only around 850 kgs at the moment, with a ball weight of approx, 60-70kg( I can lift the hitch off the ball if need be) so it's not that heavy. Il get some measurements when I have time. I reckon there is a problem with the rear suspension, I compared it to an stx that was in the showroom when I had my taunau cover clips replaced for the 3rd time, just pressing down with 1 arm on mine makes it drop. I'm getting a lift kit next week to fix the problem. I've put it down to the clutch fan sucking the power, as when I can hear it switch off the car seems a lot more responsive. May just be days over 20degrees when the car sucks.

This is it sitting on bump stops, 4 bags of concrete and the trailer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
It does sound like a problem with the suspension and your losing engine power somewhere sorry to say. Take the service manager for a drive and show them first hand, only way to convince them there is a problem.
As for towing, it's a catch, upgrade the suspension and towing is great but unladen and it will be a rough ride. WDH might be the answer but if your only towing light loads like you are, there should be no problems at all even thougth the suspension is VERY soft at its best.

Air bags are ok in coils, because you're not changing the point of contact of the load.

Factory springs are not only rated for a maximum load of 27.5 grams, they collapse immediately on exiting the dealership on the first drive home.

Actually I lie, you might manage 27.6 grams without full spring compression. I know my D40 leaves inverted quickly and my attempt to use Ironman Load Plus helper springs only lasted briefly before I bit the bullet and bought some decent aftermarket springs (leaves). You can make dual rate coils - they're not simple to make but they can be made. Don't know if they're available for the NP300 yet.

King Springs list a few options for the NP300s...

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 56
Gday guys, i picked up my RX on friday and put all my work stuff in it and watched it sag. Im not sure what im going to do yet. Also sorry this isnt towing related. But is nice to know what options are out there.

I have a dobinson lift with the constant load 80kg spring as i have a steel bullbar and im happy with the ride. There is alot less body roll. So more direct steering but still comfy. Ive only had 70kg esky in the back and it made no difference

There is a few options for the suspension, I've gone with kings hd and raised springs, with tough dog shocks, yet to be fitted. I got a new work trailer now, tandem which tows so much better, around 1500kg which tows similar to the single axle.
wheels and tires got changed this week, looks so much better, drives better and is 40mm higher overall, seems the tires contribute a lot to the very spongy ride.

My RX is my work ride. At the moment stock suspension it has a arb canopy on it and with all my gear inside it sags in the back end. Just not sure of which way to go. With my old D40 I went to ultimate suspension and did the 2 inch lift new shocks and springs to carry the load. But I now realize how rough the ride was. Confused.......yes i am!

Latest posts

Back