Oil Filter

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atlas

Reaction score
Howdy All,

Just trying to get my oil filter off my STX '09 Diesel... Could they have found a more annoying spot for it....

I have tried a strap to loosen it, but other than slight crushing, no luck...

Don't want to throw a screwdriver in it, cause if it still doesn't come off I am stuffed !! :suicide:

Any tips appreciated...

When I tried to get the filter off mine for the first change.....MAN IT WAS TIGHT. Had to remove the inner guard and access it that way. Almost like they had put the darn filter on with a rattle gun!

Subsequent filters that I have installed myself have been installed and removed by hand without a problem....

I would recommend one of two options:
-book it in and ask the dealer to change it if you aren't confident of doing so yourself
-if you are confident with the tools, put the vehicle up on stands, whip off the front right hand wheel, out with the inner guard liner, then you have clear access to the filter.

Hey Anthony,

Thanks mate... Yeh I am confident, but not in the timeframe I have to do it.. I am off to Bunya Mtns this afternoon... Some things should not be left to last minute I guess !! :)

Mate,

I have changed th eoil, just not the filter.. Just under 10K on this batch...

Yeah, definitely worth dumping the oil for sure....change the filter (and the oil again) as soon as you can after you get back and all should be fine.

My servicing (the oil dump atleast) is done over the pits and getting access to it from underneath the vehicle is quite easy although there is still a bit of a wrist twist but we took it off with the same filter tools any other filter comes off with. It does make a huge difference when you can stand up under the car and do stuff rather than laying on your back but not everyone has that luxury I guess.

Had the same trouble with mine.
Best 2 tools are either the socket type removers, though you have to get a whole set, or,
the type with the 3 fingers and a 1/2 inch drive work a treat.
they're the only ones I use now,
broke 2 other types trying to get the original filter off.

Like Ants my first filter was tight and we had one slip getting it off using the same filter remover my mechanic uses to get filters off bigger engines but we didn't have to take anything else off to get to it. Also like Ants we made sure the new one wasn't put on that tight.

Just done my first oil change, before I saw this thread, does anyone know if there is a kit available to remote mount the oil filter? I did this years ago on a D21 I had with a VG 30 engine It was very successful..

I haven't heard of one but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, although there isn't many other places in a D40 engine bay to put something else.

I reckon it would sit nicely inside the chassis rails down near the starter motor, still accessed from underneath but much easier than how it is at the moment.

If you're accessing it from underneath the current location isn't that bad to get too providing it's not done up too tight.

Get one of the two remover tools that I mentioned above and you wont need to waste cash on a remote setup and with the use of a couple of 1/2 inch drive extensions, its piss easy to get your filters off.

:cheers!:

The wrench I picked up has 3 claws that tighten as u turn. claws go over the top (end). drive with a ratchet n 6" extension, 3/8or 1/2''. Cheapy $13, or the kingchrome $40 odd. Move the fuel filter outa da way n easy peasy.

Hey all,

I finally got mine off after putting on ramps and and moving the plastic back inside the wheel arch and getting from that way.

Also, I picked up 20L AC Delco Nissan approved engine oil from Nissan dealer yesterday for $220 20L drum....

Gee!! I buy the genuine Nissan 10w40 oil from my dealership. They give me trade price and I pay $109 for 3 x 5L bottles. Those 3 bottles gets me enough oil for a change every 5000km's too.

Gee!! I buy the genuine Nissan 10w40 oil from my dealership. They give me trade price and I pay $109 for 3 x 5L bottles. Those 3 bottles gets me enough oil for a change every 5000km's too.

The oil Atlas mentioned is the one for the auto with DPF, Low SAPS 5w-30.
Wish it was that cheap.

Latest posts

Back