Looking to buy D22 Navara

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4low

Reaction score
Good morning all

This is my first post here, have been browsing the forum for a few days now and seems like a top site!

Im in the market for a dual cab 4x4 and would prefer a model from 2004 to 2006. I have narrowed it down to either a hilux or navara, so im just looking for options and information on the D22.

My price range is between 17 to 24 grand. Im not a hardcore 4wder, its main use would be medium 4wd tracks, some mud, beach and dirt trails. Im an avid fisherman so its why I want to keep the ute as its easier to clean out, doesnt damage the interior.

So from my research so far there are both petrol and diesel options available, 3.3 in the petrol? and the 3.0ltr turbo diesel? Is the diesel the same as in the patrols that have known to have issues or are there certain year models where they have been ironed out?

What would be the rough fuel economy for both engine types? Does the diesel have enough power for soft sand? Im not one for high speed driving so no worries there, currently own a petrol dual cab ute.

As for mods, If it doesnt already have it I would add on a canopy, bar, lights, tyres, 2inch lift and snorkel (if a diesel) so just the normal stuff, nothing hardcore

I do like the shape of the D22 and after browsing through members rides and other threads, they seem like a top 4wd. The diesel engine is the only thing im worried about a little. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

the 04+ is the better one. rumored that the pistons of the earlier ones where not up to the heat. you don't hear of many +04's going bang. the patrol version is a bit higher powered and has other issues with its turbo/egr control system. the navara dosn't have those problems.

i prefer the D22, its smaller, no 4x4 switchs to go wrong, manual hubs etc. downside it can be cosy in the rear seats and rear springs sag fairly quickly (your going to lift it anyway ;) )

I see, it is the engine that is the only thing a little worrying but seems its only in the earlier models. I do prefer the manual hub and sticks over switches so that's a positive

hi 4low, i have an 03 Diesel ST-R and love it. i had the same preice range when i was looking (Nov 09) and ended up going for this one. it has all the things you mentioned and i recently put a 2" lift in it. i drive on the beach often down at the Murray River mouth, it can get pretty sporting down there and the Navara is yet to get stuck.

Mine has 180k on it now and runs superb. the Navara has a slightly different ZD30 than the Patrol, not too many issues with them. and i have not heard about the pre 04 models having any more or less issues than later ones. the main thing is to get one in good condition and a good service history, with regular oil changes.

good luck & welcome to the forum.

Hey 4low,
Its scary, you sound exactly the same as me a month ago… I was deciding between the same as you with the same amount to spend.. I ended up opting for a D22 Navara 2004 over the Hilux... I drove both and the Hilux seemed a whole lot more truck like that than Navara.. Plus for similar specs you end up paying a good 4-5K more for a hilux.. The Navara's actually better on paper than the Hilux.. better towing, more power…. And I’m hoping cheaper for parts.. Toyota’s generally are expensive though…
I went the ZD30 diesel.. I was always going to buy a diesel.. the petrol was never an option.. fuel consumption on the petrols is apparently really poor.. about 450-500k’s on a tank.. compared to about 650k’s for the diesel.. I get about 700km with mine, but I do a lot of freeway driving and mine’s been chipped.. you will pay more for a Diesel though..
From the research I did the ZD30’s had the big problems sorted out by 03. So provided you get something newer than that you “should” be fine.. be sure to check for service history.. especially if its a diesel.. The ZD30’s in the Patrol have a different turbo which is apparently a big contributor to their issues..
I’m pretty stoked with mine.. I was pretty lucky though, I ended up finding one that was exactly what I wanted, right down to the colour.. haven’t been off road yet but am hanging to go soon.. will let you know how it goes..
cheers

Thanks guys for the replies, have definately helped answering my questions!

I will begin the painful looking process, inbetween work hours. So I know now to have a really good look at service history for the diesels, I would prefer diesel for the economy factor, it will be my daily and i drove 40mins to and from work each day.

I would love to find one with under 150,000kms, there have been a few on carsales within my price range, except with a tray! I want the styleside

Let the searching begin

Good morning all

This is my first post here, have been browsing the forum for a few days now and seems like a top site!

Im in the market for a dual cab 4x4 and would prefer a model from 2004 to 2006. I have narrowed it down to either a hilux or navara, so im just looking for options and information on the D22.

My price range is between 17 to 24 grand. Im not a hardcore 4wder, its main use would be medium 4wd tracks, some mud, beach and dirt trails. Im an avid fisherman so its why I want to keep the ute as its easier to clean out, doesnt damage the interior.

So from my research so far there are both petrol and diesel options available, 3.3 in the petrol? and the 3.0ltr turbo diesel? Is the diesel the same as in the patrols that have known to have issues or are there certain year models where they have been ironed out?

What would be the rough fuel economy for both engine types? Does the diesel have enough power for soft sand? Im not one for high speed driving so no worries there, currently own a petrol dual cab ute.

As for mods, If it doesnt already have it I would add on a canopy, bar, lights, tyres, 2inch lift and snorkel (if a diesel) so just the normal stuff, nothing hardcore

I do like the shape of the D22 and after browsing through members rides and other threads, they seem like a top 4wd. The diesel engine is the only thing im worried about a little. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

http://www.navara.asia/sale/3359-06-d22-str-sale.html

this will do everything u want to do with it, i would steer well away from the petrols, the diesels after 04 are all good they only had the problems with the old ones.
let me know what u think,saves buying a stock one and spending 7 g on it!
cheers hally

http://www.navara.asia/sale/3359-06-d22-str-sale.html

this will do everything u want to do with it, i would steer well away from the petrols, the diesels after 04 are all good they only had the problems with the old ones.
let me know what u think,saves buying a stock one and spending 7 g on it!
cheers hally

That is a top Nav you got there! But it is way out of my price range!

Hope the sale goes well, someone will pick up a ready to go tourer thats for sure!

That is a top Nav you got there! But it is way out of my price range!

Hope the sale goes well, someone will pick up a ready to go tourer thats for sure!

yeah cheers mate, u should pick a good one up 05+ for sure for that price, theres a few out there, good luck mate.

cheers Hally:big_smile:

Since when have the earlier ZD30 D22 Navara's been known to have engine problems? It's well documented that the ZD30 Patrols had trouble. It seems that 2004+ get slightly better fuel consumption, but that's all I have ever read.

I have a 2002 with 150 000k's, not an ounce of trouble.

CAN. WORMS. OPEN? :smile:

no cans of worms to open here.
plenty of early navara ZD30's have blown holes through the pistons. just not as many as patrol and terrano's which is simply due to lower powered, no MAF and no variable turbo.

4low,

I bought my '06 build D22 single cab in November. I was exactly like you and had heard a few horror stories about the ZD30. I read and researched all that I could absorb and the general consensus seemed to be that the early ZD30 Patrols seemed to be the ones that gave problems.

I also figured that there is an awful lot of diesel D22 utes running around when you take notice and if every tenth one was blowing up, you would certainly hear a lot about it. Secondly they would be worth nothing second hand (like the first model Land Rover Freelanders - you dead-set couldn't give them away as a bonus gift to a person purchasing a set of steak knives!).

I therefore decided to take the plunge and purchased the ute which only had 23,000 kms on it. I am very happy with it and it does everthing that's needed. I'm pretty kind to my vehicles and don't drive them hard, so am confident that this one will give good service.

I love my little D22 and am sure you will to!

Russ.

All positives comments!

I will begin the painstaking looking process, will be looking at auctions aswell to see if I can get a bargain there

I got my bog standard 06 STR with only 40,000K on it for $25K
Look around, don't be in a rush and you'll get a good bus.

Latest posts

Back