Buying new D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they are a better vehicle than the D22 :secret:

Seriously though I've had mine for about 10 months now and I haven't had any major problems. Some people have suggested clutches are a problem and that torque only comes on after 2000 revs which makes then sluggish and all manner of other things but I'm happy with mine.

There is a few things I'd change if I was able to like climate control and making that extremely overpriced temp sensor for the dash standard fitment, but when I brought mine I brought it to cart shit around and still be able to fit the family in without squashing them which just wasn't going to happen in any other car on the market other than a dual cab. I added a canopy to cart more crap but the family squeeze in no problems so the rest of the requirements for me have been met. Half decent economy (given that it is a 2 tonne wind break) comfy ride and the rest of it are just happy extras really.

At the end of the day a lemon can come in any brand or model and Nissan are no different but on the whole I've heard a lot more happy D40 drivers than I have pissed off ones.

Oh and don't get scared off by those 3 terrible letters (DPF) they just aren't that scary, even Sesame St has been brought to us by those letters at some stage and if Elmo doesn't scare us neither should the letters. Of course if you're getting a manual then DPF's not a dirty word anyway.

The D40's a roomier beast than the D22, and designed for more comfort. Not sure the Thai-built ST is quite up to the level of the Spanish-built ST-X Dual Cab, but you'd have to think it's close at least.

Make sure they don't forget the styling mousse.

My current D22 3.0 doesn’t sound that much different it needs a few revs aboard before it gets going.
Have they done anything to fix the clutch problem?
One of the reasons Iam upgrading is because there isn’t enough leg room in the back seat now my boys are getting older.

I would have really loved to wait & get the new ST-X which isn't to far away but Iam not going to wait 3 months for my new car like I had to when I bought my current STR.

By the way what is DPF?

And what's with the styling mousse?

Last edited:
G'day Turbotim,

About a year ago now i bought the diesel dualcab RX version of the D40 and so far i'm very happy with it no real dramas at all. Reason i went the RX not Stx or ST is simply $$$ they are the same except a few little cool extras. Some D40 owners have had issues with fuel consumption, clutch and limited torque in first gear. I have had none of these..getting around 10.5lt per 100kms, clutch is reasonable and torque/power is fine for me.

It all comes down to what you intend on doing with the vehicle. Around town i find it great, very smooth, comfy and the best thing about it is its roomy! im quite tall and more often than not have a full car load with no complaints. which is good if you have a family to fill the car with:) If you plan on going offroad than i suggest you do as much research as possible to best prepare yourself and your vehicle. The stock D40's are very low to the ground and require underbody protection, if you plan on hitting the dirt this is a must have. The range of aftermarket accessories for the D40 is getting wider by the month. Also If you plan on towing they are not too bad, personally I hardly do much towing but when i have its been quite reasonable.

All up im very happy with my D40 which has become my project:) cheers.

Last edited:
Reason i went the RX not Stx or ST is simply $$$ they are the same except a few little cool extras.

There is no doubt the extras lists is where the dollars are (whether justified or not) but the one thing to be aware of when buying is that you get the spec sheet from Nissan and compare both models. The number of people who buy the cheaper model then complain about it missing things that the dearer model has like they weren't forewarned is stupid. It's obvious that if there is a $5K price difference there is going to be things not on the cheaper models. While there are plenty of us here who can tell you the differences the spec sheet which Nissan are happy to hand out or you can get off the net will give you more idea of the differences.

Many of the extras on the dearer model can be added at a cheaper cost down the track and some just don't suit all buyers but being aware of what is and isn't fitted saves for complaints later when you find out that the cheap model doesn't have child restraints or something similar.

By the way what is DPF?

Some people seem to think it's the worst thing ever invented and some don't worry about it at all. There is quite a number of threads here relating to the DPF so you can make up your own mind on the subject (just search the D40 section since it's only D40 auto's that have it).

I'm sure someone here will want to go into detail and give you a huge run down but for a basic run down if the threads here aren't enough the Wiki page for DPF's is probably more than enough basic info to get you started.

By the way what is DPF?

Stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. As Krafty said, there are plenty of resources to find out what it is, but it's really nothing more than an exhaust soot remover. It's supposed to bring an end to the black smoke from diesels.

It's an issue for some people - usually from the way it's driven - because when the DPF chokes up and can't do its self-cleaning cycle, it forces the car into "slow" mode requiring an expensive visit to the dealer. It doesn't take a lot to avoid it - just read the manual. It's currently only present in the D40 Auto Dual Cab version.

The D40 is the Mobile Hairdressing Salon of choice. Sort of an in-forum joke the D22 guys were making. We've just picked it up and kept it going ourselves.

There's no shame in being a hairdresser.

There is no doubt the extras lists is where the dollars are (whether justified or not) but the one thing to be aware of when buying is that you get the spec sheet from Nissan and compare both models.

I would like to get the ST-X but there are non around at the moment till the new model arrives & then they will be 50 K + & all sold out for the next three months according to the Nissan Salesman, I want my new car this month.

Stands for Diesel Particulate Filter. As Krafty said, there are plenty of resources to find out what it is, but it's really nothing more than an exhaust soot remover. It's supposed to bring an end to the black smoke from diesels.

The D40 is the Mobile Hairdressing Salon of choice. Sort of an in-forum joke the D22 guys were making. We've just picked it up and kept it going ourselves.

There's no shame in being a hairdresser.

As for the DPF I will be getting a Manual so it shouldn’t be a problem & Iam sure I can put up with the hair dresser jokes for the benefits of upgrading to the D40 over my current D22.

I got told the same thing last year when I was buying my ST-X the difference was they were blaming lay offs and the GFC. My local has got about 4 ST-X's sitting on the lot right now (1 even has a canopy) yet this time last year he couldn't get one for 3 months. It's hard to know which stories to believe when it comes to salesmen but the bottom line is if you want it now and they can't deliver then something's got to give and there is nothing you can do about it.

As for the hairdresser jokes we all put up with them just to humour the D22 drivers, they feel a little inadequate because of their choices (and because they can't get any extra income cutting hair). It's all done in the name of political correctness. :big_smile:

My current D22 3.0 doesn’t sound that much different it needs a few revs aboard before it gets going.
Have they done anything to fix the clutch problem?
One of the reasons Iam upgrading is because there isn’t enough leg room in the back seat now my boys are getting older.

I would have really loved to wait & get the new ST-X which isn't to far away but Iam not going to wait 3 months for my new car like I had to when I bought my current STR.

By the way what is DPF?

I dunno turbo, if the STX is what you really want and you intend to keep it for a couple of years then maybe it,s worth the wait. But why 3 months?
My local dealer had trouble supplying my 2009 model last year so I just bought mine from Brisbane instead. Local bloke still does my services and warranty work.

If there was more leg room for my kids & the new D22 2.5L engine had the same power as the D40 has I would just buy another D22, I could then swap over all my accessory’s (except the canopy which I have been told is different on the newer model D22).

LOL From what I've been told, read in mags & on THIS FORUM, The 2.5 is like a rubber band. It's either got nothing or it stings when you stretch it.

In other words it's peaky.
Why downgrade ?

D40's are lady's ute's. Lol.

Dave.

AMEN:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know about the auto and the DPF.

I am currently upgrading to a D40 some would say downgrading as i have 4.2 td patrol but the 2 door dosen't fit mum and the 2 kids.

The only issue that I have seen with the D40 that a family member bought was the actual dealer, a few dodgy bits and pieces that when she picked up her car you could basically say that it was not road worthy... spot lights and such not to AUS standard.

Welcome to the forum, Perko. As a happy D40 owner, I've little to say against it. A Patrol would be heavier and probably use more fuel - mine's achieving better than Nissan say it should, but it didn't do that until the engine settled in (about 13,000km for mine).

I have no issues with my DPF, and I do a lot of towing. Off to Bathurst this weekend, it ought to be a nice cold one!

Hope you enjoy your new ride and the forum.

Thanks for that...

I hope the D40 is just as good as the Patrol, I went thru 2 cruisers until I bought the patrol it has served me well doing alot of trips up the cape and into the gulf region. Just need to sell it before I move on. Looking forward to the D40 though.

Perko,
Ive just done the same. Got out of a GU trayback Patrol into my D40 (have had it a week). So far very impressed. Uses way less fuel than the old TD42T with a heap more comfort. I bought mine with a 5" lift and 285/75R16 tyres which puts it about the same height as my old 3" lifted GU with 285/75R16 tyres.

Latest posts

Back