Cleaning the oil/ sludge from the inlet of the manifold

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewD

Reaction score
Well i made a mistake on one of the other threads where i said I didn't have any oil/sludge buildup in the manifold when i did the egr mod. Decided to take a closer look by removing the piece of cast inlet (splits form one hole into two) that contains the butterfly valves. I was astonished as to how much build up i had.
A couple of questions. After carefully cleaning it out of the manifold (where the butterfly inlet connects to the manifold). I stuck my finger down as far as possible and couldn't feel anymore oil/ sludge from beyond the 90 degree bend. Does this sound about right?
Has anyone noticed any improvements (fuel consumption, power, etc) after cleaning the sluge out?

Cheers

I too found this sludge buildup in the bend going into the manifold after taking off the 90 deg rubber bend after the intercooler on my 2.5CRD D22 and it was at about only 5000k.
Interested to hear other peoples findings.

the sludge will go (or eventually go) all the way to the valves. its starts from the egr inlet and will build up. i'll see if i can dig out the pics tonight.

Took my intercooler off as I have installed a catch can and the crap that is in there is unbelievable. Also where the hose from the intercooler goes in to the inlet manifold I think that is where it goes. So much sludge in there. Is it possible to clean this out

This sludge is ridiculous. I have a very small amount on my 2.5l d22. The intake butterfly bit on the 3l models gets clogged big-time. Had the same problem on my brothers patrol zd30 and we removed all the piping and intercooler and cleaned it out with petrol and degreaser. The car ran alot once it was cleaned. You will need a day to do it including letting it dry properly.

Rusty

Catch can and block egr will fix but it is rediculous mine had at least 1cms thick sludge

Had my mechanic clean the intake out the other day, car still is pretty slow but I guess its better out then in...

Its filthy how much crap is allowed to go into the motor. I pulled everything off.. the whole inlet and and butterflys and everything.. stuck it in a bucket full of hot water and degreaser. then stuck a pressure washer at the bottom and pulled the trigger.. the degreaser bubbled through everything and did wonders.. eventually it all comes loose then blasted it with cold water and all the sludge that came out could fill an ice cream container.

This is my one it had about 5 mm off sludge in it. You can see the mark the screw driver left in it.
20130129_085029.jpg

Has anyone actually completely pulled the intake manifold off the block and even cleaned the top of the valves etcfor the ZD30 3.0 litre?

Im guessing you have to take the injector lines off to take the manifold off?

Anyone have or know of an online guide detailing how to clean all this up? Would love a detailed guide with pictures as I've never really played around with an engines so I don't really know what I'm doing...

Get water met injection and run it at a heavy mix for the first tank or two and have it set to inject at early (ish) boost. thatt will cost you $400 or you can pull it apart and clean it.

Latest posts

Back