Ciggy lighters

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac_factor

Reaction score
Hi agian guys.
I have noticed in my D40 that the second ciggy lighter in the dash does not appear to be working has anyone else has this issue and where would i look to be able to find this issue out?

Thanks
Macca

You can take the dash one out by pulling out the stereo surround and following the wires from there. A quick solution is remove it and hook it up to the battery direct with alligator leads and then if it still doesn't work it's the unit, if it does it's in the cabling somewhere. I'd assume since it's only one of them it wont be a fuse but I could be wrong and they may use different fuses.

If you haven't already done so also check to make sure they don't both need the ignition on I know one of mine is live whereas the other is only usable when the ignition is on.

Oddly enough, the one in my dash is live all the time too, the one underneath my armrest is not.

That alone makes me believe that it's separately fused. I just went scrounging around in mu fuse box for the fuse that made my in-dash cig lighter outlet lose power and couldn't find it, so it might be a fuse in the engine bay. There are several fuses in there in a box, one of them might be the one.

Further reading of the manual finds the answer. They call it a "power socket". It is a live connection from the battery, not controlled by the ignition.

In the engine bay you'll find a "Fusible Link Box" which ought to be somewhere near the battery. It is NOT the "Fuse and Relay Box". In the Fusible Link Box you should find around 14 fuses, some of which are "fusible links". On the side furthest from the front of the vehicle there should be 4 fuses in a group towards the right side of the vehicle. In order from outermost and towards the passenger side of the vehicle these are rated 15A, 10A, 20A, 15A. The fuse you want to look at is that 20A one - third from the driver's side (in Australia).

Last edited:
Thanks heaps Tony will be checking this out when i get home and will let you all know what i find.... and thanks as well Krafty will have a play with that side of it if all the fuses look good....
Thanks guys
Macca

Well there ya go I thought it was actually the center console one that was live but it's been a while since I used it.

It makes sense if they are powered at different times they are powered by separate fuses but I actually took the comment "the second ciggy lighter in the dash" to mean he had two in the dash and thought maybe in the new model they have utilised that empty space which I seem to remember someone suggesting in the KC's was filled with a power outlet. Then I can see them using the same fuse.

I've put a cig lighter in the spare space Nissan left me and wired it straight to the battery but it was done ages ago and I can't remember if I traced the other dash mounted one to a fuse or not, I tend to think I didn't and just avoided it during the process.

Well there ya go I thought it was actually the center console one that was live but it's been a while since I used it.

It makes sense if they are powered at different times they are powered by separate fuses but I actually took the comment "the second ciggy lighter in the dash" to mean he had two in the dash and thought maybe in the new model they have utilised that empty space which I seem to remember someone suggesting in the KC's was filled with a power outlet. Then I can see them using the same fuse.

I've put a cig lighter in the spare space Nissan left me and wired it straight to the battery but it was done ages ago and I can't remember if I traced the other dash mounted one to a fuse or not, I tend to think I didn't and just avoided it during the process.

Yep KCabs just have 2 in the dash, same fuse on ACC only. Don't know about the ST.

I have the issue in d40 STX. My center console power socket and light down near cup holders doesn't work (both that is). I have checked all the above mentioned fuses (mark 1 eyeball) and they appear visually fine. I have a fear that my UHF radio has been wired into that circuit by previous owner and left the power socket with an air gap? any suggestions? more investigations need doing me thinks.

Might go turn UHF on and pull above mentioned 20A fuse.

Am not sure about others but in my D40 I have 1 ciggy lighter in the dash 1 power outlet ( that wont work as a lighter) and a 2nd power outlet in the center console. From memory the fuses are in the BCM. Black box under the bonnet near the passenger side bonnet hinge that hold many fuses and relays. Cant remember the exact fuse numbers sorry .Power Outlets are always live and the lighter is off the ignition.
The light for the ashtray is fed from the lighting circuit and as such has nothing to do with the power outlets.

I wired both the centre console and dash sockets back to my second battery and seperately fused em. That way I know that I'll never flatten the start battery by running something continuously when camping. In fact, my GPS and UHF are also wired back to the second battery.

Gus

My thoughts exactly Gus, even though I added another aux to the blank space of the center console I also ran aux power from the rear for my CB, camera screen and GPS. Before the next trip away I'm also planning to add an aux hub with both ciggie lighter and USB connections into the center storage box between the seat which will come off the second battery.

At first I thought about how much drain I could put on the second battery if I forgot to turn things off and then if I used it for other things for any length of time without the engine running. But the camera screen in standby mode draws less than a poofteenth of an amp and even if the CB is left on it's current drain isn't going to flatten my battery in a day and the rest of the stuff I'd be using (except for the fridge) are all items which don't stay connected for ages causing constant drain.

So for me it was a no brainer use the second battery for everything possible and don't drain the main battery just to give a camp site a bit of light or to break the peacefulness of that quiet fishing spot with music.

Well now i am even more confused. I have neither power to center console outlet or the light. If they are how Gus mentions, one of BCM on off lighting circuit, then i would conclude a wiring problem?

I'd conclude something in the wiring if I'd checked fuses and everything else. The center console aux and light share the same wiring loom which splits off from the engine room harness, it could be a wiring problem between where it comes off that harness anywhere to the console if they are the only two things not working. If you or anyone else has had the console out the wires could have been damaged in the process, but that is only a guess nothing definitive.

Well, problem solvered. After taking the center console parts up. No actual disassembly, just click ins.

Found an Air gap in the loom where the two console pieces would join. My guess is someone at some satge had the console apart and didn't rejoin the two connector plugs. Good news is, now i have a power source for my CarPC regulator. Looks like everythings coming up Milhouse....

But the aux in the console wont be pulsed in anyway like you suggested you needed in your other thread, it will be either 12v constant or 12v with the ignition turned on.

Correct, but the pulse is only need to tell the power supply to turn on, the 12v from console will power said power supply. Want it to work so when i unlock the CarPC starts up as the PC has auto-on feature, it will turn on as soon as power is applied. Although it apears the console is only active with ignition unlike dash which is just on.

Might rewire them so it is the other way around.

Latest posts

Back