D40 Petrol fuel comsumption..

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haf

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing from any D40 STX owners that have the V6 engine in a manual configuration. Are you able to advise me of your fuel economy/consumption...best and worst?

Thanks............

Don't know how many petrol motors there are on here but there is bound to be some figures in the D40 economy thread we can't all have diesels

Aussie Frontier has a manual transmission V6 navara. Very keen owner and has a lot of information about his vehicle. If you flick him a PM, I am certain he would be more than willing to assist with information (if he doesn't see this thread).

He's a very nice fella and I am sure he would be more than willing to assist with information ;)

Hi Haf, I have a 2007 D40 Petrol and would get approx 14 -14.5L/100 when it was new haven't checked in a few years. Don't really worry about it to much and have installed a 155L tank. Oh and i only use BP ultimate which would have some small effect to that

Hi Haf, I have a 2007 D40 Petrol and would get approx 14 -14.5L/100 when it was new haven't checked in a few years. Don't really worry about it to much and have installed a 155L tank. Oh and i only use BP ultimate which would have some small effect to that

Hi Woody418, thanks for the info. Have you towed a trailer very often? If you have, roughly how big and heavy was it and what sort of difference did it make to your fuel consumption?

Back in 1998 I had a 2.4 litre 4 cyl hilux 4x4 dual cab manual and when I first drove it around I thought the fuel gauge was broken as it read empty so quickly. I finally put a small can of fuel in the back and drove it until it ran out. No doubt you can work out by that I found the fuel gauge worked perfectly. I thought that was a thirsty sucker back then and now we're talking about a 4 litre V6. I have no doubt it drives beautifully as would be expected, but I don't wish to stop every 3 days and put 80 litres in it.

Any further info would be great.

Cheers to all,

Haf.:thank_you2:

Last edited:
I have only been towing around a Motor bike trailer Approx 1 ton ( build low and long not much drag), didn't notice any big difference, but i wasn't really paying attention to Fuel consumption then. I was more concerned on Power when buying mine. I spend a lot of time passing road trains and hate spending too much time on the wrong side of the road.

Hey Ants
I have the V6 6 speed but my fuel consumption will be better than most. I have a 4x2 so have a slightly different diff ratio to the 4x4. I currently am running the truck on Optimax 95 (well whatever the 95 fuel is from a woolies servo) and get around the 12.8 l/100 around town.I do a heap of flat towing when playing at the racetrack. Mileage is always bad till you get rolling. Once the truck is moving the economy picks up even as low as 25l/100 lol.
The deal when towing is remember your going to suck fuel when you first take off and the smoother you do that the better your economy. As the truck is so big as far as a brick in a wind tunnel that usually a trailer makes bugger all difference behind the truck once your at speed. I have towed out box on wheels to the track and even that doesnt hurt the economy too much.On the highway running 118kmph I usually get around the 11L/100 kms or slightly better and with the trailer on behind it might go up by 0.2 or so. Again it all depends on where your driving and how fast.
The biggest issue I have towing the damm trailer is the fact the dam thing disappears behind the truck and without my cameras I wouldnt even know it was there.
I know all this info is as good as any ashtray on a motorbike as mines a 4x2 but it will hopefully give you at least an idea what can be achieved.
The only mod I have done as far as engine etc is to install a drop in K&N sports filter. otherwise as stock as a rock. I am running 265/70/R17 BFG AT's so will differ from someone running the stock tyres .
Dont trust your odometer or fuel gauge. I run everything by a scangauge and get damm close to spot on with my figures.

RE: Fuel economy on STX V6 Petrol

I'm interested in hearing from any D40 STX owners that have the V6 engine in a manual configuration. Are you able to advise me of your fuel economy/consumption...best and worst?

Thanks............

I've only had my Navara since November 2010, My enconony varies on average between 11.7-12.3/100km and that's on vortex 95. And yes driving style does affects consumption but I am also of the belief that the octane rating isn't always what it's suppose to be. Not to mention that they are a thirsty beast.

Thanks............
I have a auto and am getting 14.8/9litres per 100kms. Engine has only done 5,000kms. Love the power and seeing peoples faces when I drag them off at the lights... Especially Comondores and Falcons. Talking to other blokes who drive diesel auto's they are getting about the same consumption as me.. Don't know why you'd buy a diesel...

Don't know why you'd buy a diesel...

Because I can get mid to low 10's without trying too hard and being a boy racer and trying to beat dunnydoors off the line at lights is a game I gave up playing in my early 20's?

I have a auto and am getting 14.8/9litres per 100kms. Engine has only done 5,000kms. Love the power and seeing peoples faces when I drag them off at the lights... Especially Comondores and Falcons. Talking to other blokes who drive diesel auto's they are getting about the same consumption as me.. Don't know why you'd buy a diesel...

There are 3 things affecting your consumption:

1) It's only 5,000km old. Wait until around 15,000km before the engine settles in. Remember, it's a diesel, and diesels don't just go for 100,000km and give out. They can last 5, 6 or more times that.

2) You're dragging cars off at the lights ... that's going to consume GOBS of fuel.

3) Your ECU is using the "new vehicle" fuel map. It's deliberately using more fuel, so that the engine runs "a little rich" so that it doesn't heat up too much while it's young. After the 10,000km service you SHOULD (if your dealer does it) go to a normal fuel map (factory default).

Dragging cars will also teach your ECU that you like to use fuel. It will oblige and remember.

Wait until 10,000km comes up, then do an ECU reset just to make sure. Then drive it gently for a tank - don't rev it over 2500 at the most, and don't cruise above 2,000rpm. See what the results are then.

Hi there i got my stx v6 last week im using about 16 to 17 / per 100 , only done 500kms though, i also got a deisel pathfinder that uses 12/ per 100. I bought the petrol coz its got alot better acceleration than the deisel and the petrol cost me 40 grand the deisel was 48 k.
cheers

Latest posts

Back