2009 ST-r blows a lot of smoke

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbblitz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my st-r 2009 blows a lot of smoke most the time,

If i take it easy on the gas it does hardly anything.

If i hit the gas medium to hard around 2000 to 3000 rpm at night i can see a lot of smoke in the cars head lights behind me.

Ive had a few people comment on how much smoke comes out.

got any idea on whats going on?

Thanks

Hi everyone, my st-r 2009 blows a lot of smoke most the time,

If i take it easy on the gas it does hardly anything.

If i hit the gas medium to hard around 2000 to 3000 rpm at night i can see a lot of smoke in the cars head lights behind me.

Ive had a few people comment on how much smoke comes out.

got any idea on whats going on?

Thanks

Read this thread mate, i just did mine (on last page).
http://www.navara.asia/d22-engine/3440-2-5-litre-egr-mod.html

Also found that 'resetting' the ECU & fuel pump cleared it up a bit too..

I've noticed most 2.5 powered navs blow smoke, i think its pretty normal

Hiya!

Diesels do it. The STX Dual Cab Autos don't as much, because they have a DPF, but diesel exhaust is full of soot. It's black. At night it's 100x more visible in the headlights of the car behind.

Yours might not be normal and there's a bunch of things to look at even before you spend any money.

1) Maybe your ECU needs a reset. The easy, universal way is to turn off, disconnect the negative battery lead, turn on (it won't work, of course), turn off, reconnect the battery and that's it, reset done.

2) It could be your fuel. Try using a different brand. Our Navaras are not designed to be used with biodiesel, so if you're buying from any source other than Shell or BP, there's a chance you're buying biodiesel. Try a couple of tanks of Shell diesel from a truck port and see how things go.

3) You could have a sticky injector that's overfuelling the engine. Try a bottle of diesel injector cleaner. Its a cheap first try.

That's an inexpensive start, anyway. To be certain, I'd have someone drive the vehicle away from you at 3/4 throttle so you can see for yourself in the daytime. Note the colour of the smoke, if any, because that's really important!

Good luck!

My D22 did blow smoke after around 10k from factory but after a ECU reset it basically fixed the issue, then after doing the EGR mod dont get hardly any smoke at all, not noticable at least. Both worth a look at IMO.

thanks heaps for the fast replys.

Im going to fill up in a few days so ill go and get that fuel from bp or shell.

I have been filling up from 7 11.

Ill reset the ecu tonight or tomorrow afternoon and see how it goes.

I have a read up on that mod too.

Thanks heaps ill let you know how i go.

thats 2.5 Litre EGR Mod sounds good, and i would love more power hehe.

What exactly does this EGR do? i went over that posting and didnt find exectly what that pipe does.

little worried aswell being new car and only doe 15,000.

but would love the smoke to go away so very keen to try this too.

Wonder what Nissan will say if i take my car back there for a service hahaha

mate im not much of a mechanically minded person but from what i have read it recirculates the gas emissions thru the engine/turbo again, so a heap of crap gets put back into there when it shouldnt..
mate my ute has only done 3,000... i wish i had done it 2,999 ago!

Dont think nissan would be too happy but unless you have an engine issue they wont see it!

yeah i did a quick google search and had a read a little bit about it. Any ideas where to get stainless steal from in melbourne. Then i gotta cut it like a gasket.

is it about 2mm thick?

ill do this mod for sure.

did you get much power from it at all? or just a tiny bit noticeable

thanks

mate, matt on here has got a couple for sale, if he has any left..
the same matt that has left a post just a few back above mine, send him a PM
I wouldnt say a noticeable power increase, just a bit more responsive..

Good work mate, have a look back on that link to a previous thread on how to install & there is a few of us who have put up pics, tips & notes to make it easier..

Good luck! :cheers:

Just for general info to answer part of a question you hinted at ...

The EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation - is designed to hinder the actual combustion process inside the combustion chamber during the power stroke so that the temperature doesn't rise high enough to produce nitrogen oxides.

Nitrogen oxides are dangerous greenhouse gases - they're worse than carbon dioxide.

However, there's a sad side-effect of this attempt to reduce the nitrogen oxides (usually abbreviated to NOx). By reducing the combustion temperature, the fuel is not as completely burnt, so there are more particulates in the exhaust. Worse, because the actual power output suffers, you end up using more fuel to do the same amount of work.

It basically looks like you burn more fuel and create more smoke to get less NOx. It's not exactly that simple, but that's a fair look at it without trying to confuse the issue with scientific mumbo jumbo.

Some places claim that you can burn up to 25% more fuel than you need to because of the EGR. Most of the guys here haven't reported a 25% improvement in economy, but even 1 litre per hundred kilometres (LPHK) is better than nothing. Some places claim your engine can get up to 35% more horsepower by blocking the EGR. I don't think anyone here has seen that at all.

By blocking the EGR, you should notice a minor economy improvement, a minor power improvement, a little less lag on take-off and less black smoke. Nissan will probably never check it, and never know. Roadside checks will probably never spot it either.

ive got a 2009 str and was having the same problem u have with yours tbblitz...i only run penrite enviro+ 5w-40 oil and use only caltex vortex or bp ultimate diesel and still got an unexplainable amount of black smoke come out the back of my ute. but after doin the EGR mod i noticed next to nothin at nite time in headlights behind. so my recommendation is do this mod first and see wat happens.

i got a lil bit of extra power and lil more low down toque..i noticed my turbo kicked i a lot earlier and my revs were alot lower at 100kms/hour. i think my car ran just over 2500rpm at 100k/ph and now it sits just on the 2250 mark. much lower revs gives better fuel economy.

as for the ecu reset how is it done??? never realised you coud do it without a computer plugged into ur engine. :S

ive got a 2009 str and was having the same problem u have with yours tbblitz...i only run penrite enviro+ 5w-40 oil and use only caltex vortex or bp ultimate diesel and still got an unexplainable amount of black smoke come out the back of my ute. but after doin the EGR mod i noticed next to nothin at nite time in headlights behind. so my recommendation is do this mod first and see wat happens.

i got a lil bit of extra power and lil more low down toque..i noticed my turbo kicked i a lot earlier and my revs were alot lower at 100kms/hour. i think my car ran just over 2500rpm at 100k/ph and now it sits just on the 2250 mark. much lower revs gives better fuel economy.

as for the ecu reset how is it done??? never realised you coud do it without a computer plugged into ur engine. :S

rustynav
there is a thread on here somewhere about the ECU reset, but otherwise do what oldtony mentioned earlier, its easy enough..
'1) Maybe your ECU needs a reset. The easy, universal way is to turn off, disconnect the negative battery lead, turn on (it won't work, of course), turn off, reconnect the battery and that's it, reset done.'

yeah im going to get some steal this week and put in it. I will also do the ecu reset at the same time so i will let you know how i go. It will prob be towards the end of the week though because ill have to find some steal around here. Not sure where to grab it yet.

looking forward to blocking it off for sure!! cant wait.

Latest posts

Back