Multimedia/GPS head unit advice.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shimoneous

Reaction score
Hey all,

So i'm looking at purchasing a double DIN head unit with all the goodies attatched (ie GPS, reversing camera, built in DVB-T, ipod connectivity and bluetooth handsfree ect)
My main query is this;
What are the most important specs of the unit for the GPS side of things? I plan on using Igo8 for on road GPS, and the OziExplorer CE when 4wding.
And the main differences between all the units is the;
RAM (either 64mb or 128mb)
GPS CPU (400Mhz – 533Mhz)
And the windows system, wither WinCE 5.0 or WinCE 6.0.

Obviously one with all of the above at max specs is best, but what matters most? Its just there are alot with only 64mb of ram, and i'm not sure if i should avoid that for "future" proofing against newer map systems, and when loading large maps via OziExplorer CE. But then I also know WinCE 6.0 runs alot better as is.

Any input would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the Pioneer F900BT which pretty much does almost everything I need - it would be nice for it to take data from the OBD port and display engine diagnostics in real time, eg Batt volts, boost pressure, EGT, engine oil temp, oil pressure etc. It doesn't and will never do that, but C++ and the WinCE SDK I have here says one day I might have that feature.

The Pioneer uses the Igo8 navigation software. It's very, very good, better than TomTom and way, way superior to Navman. It's a little on the chatty side, but if you use a TTS - Text To Speech - voice (I use "Karen AU") it will even read out street names for you. It's not as accurate as the TomTom with the arrival time calculation, but then that's a minor issue. It plans a route fairly well although sometimes (like all of 'em) it does take you through some different routes that make you wonder.

As for which OS - hardly matters to me, as long as it runs everything, doesn't have a connectivity loophole for nearby phone/PDA users to jump in and steal my phone list or anything.

I think memory is an issue. The more the merrier. Our GPS sometimes "soft resets" in that it will re-plan the route, as if it had filled its data buffer and has to flush it to continue. I'm not impressed with that, because just as you're falling asleep at the wheel, it announces that it's recalculating the route and scares you out of your wits. Well, not quite, but you get the drift!

Faster CPUs will always be better, but there's no need to trailblaze. Get something reliable!

Thanks for the input guys, WinCE 6.0 seems the way to go from what i've heard everywhere. So i'll be sticking with that, and one with 128mb of RAM to limit crashes :)

I got a dodgy brothers unit from Fleabay and it does everything I asked of it and even has Nissan Logos .
I am yet to see anything really go wrong with it so am very happy with it. Have had it since december and works a treat.
Runs Win Ce no idea what version and Igo8 out of the box.
Most outstanding feature has to be that I can black out the screen anytime and at night all you see is 2 blue buttons and thas it .

Just jam a PC in your car, thats what i did. Works out great, cheaper than a brand name head unit and will do everything you home computer does and more.

GPS - any software and any maps
Bluetooth
OBD-II
Itunes/Ipod
Movies
Internet

Love it!

Latest posts

Back