Diesel Chips / Diesel Tuning - How Its Done

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that it would require an engineers report.

The point im trying to make is if the piston has a hole in it. The basic report will be. That cylinder was to hot and had to much pressure in it. A chip will increase the cylinder pressure without question and generally (with the exception of chipit/unichip) will have higher egt's also.

Once those two facts are shown its a loosing battle for the consumer, and its fair enough.
You modify you take the responsibility for possible outcomes.

It can go to all kinds of lengths like it often did with the ZD30 saga in the patrols, and customers being without their cars 3-7 months while it all went through the appropriate avenues so even if you win its still a bloody painful exercise.

I see on ebay another very inexpensive chip seller from the UK--Tigers Tuning
would you have any info on this company and how the chip goes about gaing more power/torque etc--like a summary you have done on the others at the beginning of the thread
thanks

There is so many brands world wide, but more than 75% are rebadged from another main manufacturer.
90% of the ones in the UK come from either DTE/Tunit they are the big two.

They all work in the same way basically. If it has one plug it will purely be a fuel pressure chip. It will have basic 2 dimension mapping, no other safety features or anything else worth mentioning.

This is a snippet from the Hilux forum today. This is only to show that the manufacturer will win relatively easily for reasons that I have given earlier in this thread.
I know its been argued by many, but here you have it. This guy went through every possible medium and it was ruled in Toyota's favor.

Quote:
Well today was the day spent the entire day in court and it was found that the ###### chip with petrol injection was the reason my engine blew up. The judge found any performance enhancing device fitted to a car voids the warranty SO BEWARE dont believe what you are told when a chip manufacturer sells you one. The only thing that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth is that since new the car was serviced at the Toyota dealership and they were aware of the chip & petrol injection system, they have a secret warranty register which only they see and they log any mods you have made to your vehicle on it without telling you. The judge did think this was deceptive as if they believed that a modification had been made which could void the warranty or potentially damage the engine they have a duty of care to inform the car owner...but guess what they dont because they have an easy out if there is ever a warranty claim...beware

Ever case is different DT. No one can say this is what will happen every time. I can tell you times when it went the other way. I was one case in point and it stopped at the dealer. My company car had "CHIP TUNING" decals all up and down the sides so it was plainly obvious, but the damage was seen to be a "common" turbo issue and was replaced under warranty with the chip still on the car.

It also depends on the engineer giving the evidence, the damage sustained (it probably WAS the Petrol Injection causing this one to blow).

I would be very interested to see the judge comments stating "any performance enhancing device fitted to a car voids the warranty" as he would be speaking over a current ruling in Australia whereby any aftermarket mod does NOT automatically void warranty. Judges don't do that. It must be proven to have been the direct cause of the fault. This has been mentioned many times.

Also goes to show that having the car serviced at the dealer is probably not the best course of action if your car is highly modified (which many would agree Petrol Injection is)

Who tuned the car anyway? Can you find out DT?

Also, with a Chip (not true with say a 3" exhaust system for example) it is easy to remove before you go to the dealer, so do take the precaution to remove it before heading off to a dealer for warranty or service work.

.. or find a local skilled mechanic to do your service work. They too can stamp the service booklet and he couldn't car less about a Performance Module.

Whose Rally Car/s do you run this system on? Being a Queensland Rally Competitor, I would be quite interested in talking with them.

I would like to know what class your rally car would compete in with a meth inj system

we weren't allowed to alter much when I used to compete, some minor mods ok but most major stuff would knock you out of your class and make you uncompetetive

Last edited:
I dont know the person to find out who tuned it sorry.

Tanz - Its been quite a number of years since I have tuned them I cant recall the owners name sorry mate.

Sparra I dont know what the class would have been. It was pretty modified though, the engine remained stock with the restrictor on the inlet of the turbo, but full cage stripped interior mega bucks on suspension etc..

Better to have one and not need it than need it and not have it right!
Ive been stuck in a crash once before with no cage and it bloody hurt.

I will always recommend Unichip. No other chip comes close to them for features and flexibility to do alot more than just crank more fuel in.

True, many features that you pay for ... but in the end you just use Fuel, MAP and sometimes Crank Angle and MAF adjustment ... and still only get 30% more torque.

Did they ever develop OEM plugs so that you can just plug in and drive away?

Otherwise you also get the feature of being wired in so only a mechanic with a dyno gets to install it for you. That's a great feature that no other Chip company gives you!

dyno tunes will always be better than a plug n play
generic mail order tunes are always hit and miss, some better than others, but you cant compare them to a car that has been tuned on a dyno

Last edited:
What I don't understand is why my poor thing had to redline on the dyno we all know that a simple diesel makes power low,but after 5 goes I was near tears seeing it scream at 5600rpm and yes the dyno showed the dropoff in power I guess each tuner is different any idea's Lindsey??

dyno tunes will always be better than a plug n play
generic mail order tunes are always hit and miss, some better than others, but you cant compare them to a car that has been tuned on a dyno

If folks are after a dyno tune ours still gives them real time tuning potential.

Simply put though, most people want a plug and play kit.

Also, tuning a diesel WRONG is very hard. You have to get it really wrong to have issues.

ie too little fuel and it just does not make power (so you can select a higher tune). Too much fuel and it blows black smoke (so you tune it back to a lower tune). If all tunes that are sent with the Chip are dyno tuned then the customer has the choice of going higher or lower. And if they say tune 6 is OK but tune 7 is much better but blows a little smoke off the mark I can easily remap a new tune 9 for a less aggressive ramp up. So it will be a very custom tune (8.5 let's say) for THEIR car. This is free.

Yes, other Chips cannot do this, but mine can.

Hard to beat I think.

This saves a mechanic having to fit the Chip $300- $400 to the customers vehicle PLUS extra to dyno tune ... what would that be +$650 - $800 just to get it up and running?

And for what, possibly 5% extra power instead of a straight out of the box 30%. I don't know too many people that have money to blow for little return when they can just load in a new tune and off they go.

100% there is a market for Unichip which is a super product. We just give the best of both worlds by having a customer choose IF he wants to install himself and IF he wants a dyno tune.

If this choice wasn't around I too would recommend Unichip.

Robert, or should that be Lindsay?
It probably doesn't matter as you guys are old mates.
If it's just a matter of backing off the tune when you see black smoke, what happens with a vehicle with a DPF, which presumably is capturing all the smoke and soot? Won't that bugger the DPF before you know there was too much fuel going in?

I agree with some of what you are saying Robert
for most people a good tune from a good tuner is good enough and within there budget
but my point is you cant compare a generic tune to real time dyno tuning

I have in the last month been playing around with tunes for my f6 typhoon
I purchased an sct flash tuner with 3 tunes from a reputable tuner $750 all up, love them flash tuners, good work ford
the tune was average at best, boost was unstable, power delivery was all over the place, I returned the car to std tune as it was not safe with boost spikes and lean spots
was it the tuners fault.....not really, he wrote a tune to suit the average car, its a bit hit and miss......most tunes hit the target but rarely the bullseye......................anyway
last Friday the car spent the whole day on a dyno,($1000) having several runs and the new tunes were tweaked all day
the results speak for themselves
a generic tune will never be as good as a custom dyno tune......never.....all engines are different and respond differently, even poor maintenance makes a differance
The same applies for diesels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayvtCH3x8RI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
Nice F6 mate what power did u end up making? I had to sell mine. It was too problematice for a everyday driver but near 600rwkw was awsome when taking off from the lights

Need to read Roberts post again as Diesels are so easy to tune and its hard to get wrong..they will run well over such a large A/F range.

your F6 is totally different

Latest posts

Back