dpf

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alan_blue

Reaction score
hey guys i was wondering if anyone could give me any info on the dpf. IE what type it is and do we have to change it all or service it in any way?

thanks
al

For general DPF info there is a wiki site which goes into reasonable detail about it, there is also other sites that actually explain it as opposed to write it off which can give you a bit more than general info. It depends how much info you are after, like Owen says there is no servicing and while it can be changed if needed it's not a part that needs changing are regular intervals.

The DPF isn't something to be afraid of. It collects soot - the black particulates in the exhaust that we normally associate with diesels - and burns it off as much as it can. If it reaches a certain level of unburnt soot (measured by the difference in pressure sensors before and after the filter) it tries to do a "regeneration cycle".

The regen cycle is nothing more than, when certain criteria are met, a squeeze of the injector during the exhaust stroke (exhaust valves are open, piston is rising forcing the gas out). This raw fuel strikes the DPF and, as you'd expect, ignites on the next exhaust stroke, burning hotter than normal.

The criteria for conducting a normal regen cycle are:

1) The engine temperature is in acceptable range (normal operating temperature)
2) The engine load is light (you are not hauling hard up a hill)
3) The engine RPM is above 1600 (roughly). It's about 80km/h in top gear.

Meet these conditions and the regen will happen all by itself. Funnily enough, normal driving gives us these conditions quite often so we may never know it's happening.

If the normal regen cannot happen for some reason, or it fails to clean the filter, the ECU will light the DPF light on your dash and, after a certain amount of time, will then limit the vehicle to 2,000rpm - the "limp mode" - forcing you to go and see a dealer so they can conduct a forced regeneration.

The forced regeneration takes about 4 hours or so, will probably use half a tank of fuel, and at completion requires the oil and oil filter to be changed. It's not nice, but if you give your car the chance to clean the filter itself, you never need worry about it.

Does that help?

Al

I had an issue with the DPF on my brand spanking new 2008/09 D40 (3 months old). The vehicle went in to limp mode cos the ECU didn't clean out the DPF as it is supposed to. Cost $300+ and 6 days to have a dealer do a forced burn and change the oil. Plus i was in the middle of the Pilbara (not happy).

Nissan didn't want to know about the issue and rejected the warranty claim (still considering forking out the $75 to take them to court over the matter).

The vehicle at the time had done about 3000 kms and all highway driving. Since then i've done another 30000km without any issues.

I'm waiting on the outcome of a couple more cases with other owners before i put some serious thought into mine.

Latest posts

Back