Tailgate seal

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

For those interested page 6 of the current Clark Rubber Cattledog (clarkrubber.com.au) shows tailgate seals which they claim fit the D40 for $60 each. Antz (I think) suggested he got something like this for his D40, not sure if it's exactly the same but this stuff looks fairly similar to what was in the other thread.

Different style of seal to the one I used. The one in the catalogue looks like one with a pinch mould attached. That makes it nice and easy to go up the sides of the tailgate, but along the bottom edge is where the majority of the dust enters so I'd be interested to see how they deal with that one as there is nowhere to pinch mould along the bottom of the tailgate.

Interestingly - it is a D40 in the picture in the catalogue...

interestingly, it 'appears' that there is something along the bottom edge as well. not sure how thats fitted though. I have something that 'stick's (self adhesive) to the rear of the tray to close the gap, and that is working all right so far.

I bought it. It is almost satisfactory, as the photos show.

The package - picture 1 - comes with 3 pieces of seal (2 push-fit sides with corner pieces attached and a self-adhesive bottom) and a tube of superglue to attach the little corner pieces to the tub, I didn't bother because it doesn't seal around that area perfectly anyway.

The left and right side are a push-fit over the lip, just watch out for any excess body filler - you have to cut it away. I was fairly lucky there, my Wednesday-build paid off again.

Closing the tailgate with just these on showed me there'd be a gap - not bad, but it's still a gap. I might try adding rubber later. You need to cut the bottom seal to length after fitting the little lugs from the corner pieces inside and then remove the backing and stick it to the lip. Luckily there's an angled section that the seal sits on and makes a good fit, but please sit yours in first and check the height. I stuck mine in with the smooth curve up towards the front.

Would I buy it again, knowing what I know? Yep. I am going to add some rubber to the tailgate itself and finish sealing it off.

Attachments

• Clark Rubber Ute Tub Seal Package Contents.jpg
    Clark Rubber Ute Tub Seal Package Contents.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 485
  • Clark Rubber Ute Tub Seal Package - Left Side Installation.jpg
    Clark Rubber Ute Tub Seal Package - Left Side Installation.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 566
  • Clark Rubber Ute Tub Seal Package - Gaps After Installation.jpg
    Clark Rubber Ute Tub Seal Package - Gaps After Installation.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 483
Last night we did several hours on mud and dust. The tailgate seal is NOT perfect and will need some "assistance".

Some of it might be the bozo that installed it. When I next see the guy (probably while shaving) I'll have a go at him.

I know I'll need to add some around the gaps that I photographed, but I'll also have to add a rubber strip along the bottom - that seal doesn't seem to hold 100% either. It might be inward pressure forcing the stuff in.

Last night we did several hours on mud and dust. The tailgate seal is NOT perfect and will need some "assistance".

Some of it might be the bozo that installed it. When I next see the guy (probably while shaving) I'll have a go at him.

I know I'll need to add some around the gaps that I photographed, but I'll also have to add a rubber strip along the bottom - that seal doesn't seem to hold 100% either. It might be inward pressure forcing the stuff in.

There doesn't seem to be much of a lip for the rubber to grip onto to, will you need to add some adhesive to get it to stay?

There doesn't seem to be much of a lip for the rubber to grip onto to, will you need to add some adhesive to get it to stay?

Had to work the whole day today, and will be busy as for the next few days as well, so no chance to get in there and see how to resolve it. I'm actually thinking a flat strip of self-adhesive foam rubber around the tailgate itself might do the trick, but until I can get the time to climb in and poke at it, I won't know.

Mmm, nice. I was at Clarke Rubber only weeks ago. Told the staff what I wanted to do and was directed to there maaaany rubber extrusions. Never told they actually stocked such a kit. Anyhooo, after playing with there toys for what my missuz kindly said was fooooreeeever, I was actually proudly confident I had found a solution. The extrusion in Old Tony's post, with the double sided tape. I stuck it to the door (tailgate) not the body. the only gap is in the bottom corners. So I made up from 2mm aluminium plate a corner piece to make up the gap. First templates out of firm cardboard. Yehah, works great. Used little pieces of the same stuff to cover gaps between the tailgate and the STUPID flexiglass canopy I hate. Sorry flexiglass for mentioning your woeful product. Oooops I did it again. Not sure yet how to do the photo thingy.

Oh, forgot; about $30

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back