thinking about buying a Navara - got a few questions.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namwens

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've currently got a 1990 b2600 bravo single cab and a 2007 Subaru liberty and im looking at consolidating both of these vehicles into the 1, with the ability to tow my track car around every now and then. From the research I've done the d22 Navara ST-R seems to best tick all the boxes for me as it is dual cab diesel with a decent towing capacity (2800kg) and a GCM of approx 5000kg compared to that of the hilux/bravo/triton (~1800kg tow and ~4500 GCM).

I've noted that the d22's are the older model navara but nissan decided to re release them in approximately 2006 after they released the d40 navara and in approximately 2008 nissan started to put the 2.5TD motor in the d22's and stoped putting the ZD30 DT motor in.

What i want to know is, is it really worth spending up to $30k for a newer model d22 with the 2.5td or is a 3.0td model for around $20-25K going to be more than capable of doing what I want to do. the 2.5 has a similar torque figure than the 3.0 but without having driven one yet would I be right in assuming that the torque is good but the turbo is laggy and has little torque off boost? also, what is the difference between the 2.5dt in the d40 and the 2.5dt in the d22 besides 100Nm?

Word of mouth has informed me that there has been some issues with the 2.5 motor regarding blowing turbos and clutches early in their life. I've also heard there was issues with the 3.0 motor early in the day where they had conrod bolt warping and snapping early in the piece. Does this mean that the late model 3.0td had all the issues worked out? Can anyone clarify on this?

Im aware that the d22's can have a fairly stiff suspension and that the rear seats are extremely cramped but these are not and issue to me. I plan on upgrading the suspension anyway for towing purposes and im only going to have passengers for short trips (or the dog) in the back seat. Other than those two points, is my wife going to have any major complaints regarding comfort for the navara as a daily car for her? Keeping in mind that I installed coilovers into her liberty so she is not unfamiliar to a stiff ride.

Im leaning towards the 2.5dt d22 but i guess i'd just like some input from others who have been in the same situation or can recommend a better car. It is also noted that the 2.5dt d22 model comes standard with ABS brakes.

Any assistance/advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

The early ZD30's had some cheap components that caused them to fail.

Later ones are fine, the conrod issue is a UK one as they got the YD25DDTI non CRD and the bearings were different to the rest of the world. Something to do with the enviroment.

Drive them all and see what you prefer.

Dave.

I may get corrected here but ....

the ZD30 in the D22 didn't have the issues as the 3.0lt patrol (hand grenades!). not many, if any stories of con rods snapping that I've heard.

The 2.5td D22 is a de-tuned version of the D40s donk. the power is gained by higher boost (variable vane??? anyone???) and the common rail injection. they were replacement for the 3lt when the D22 was re-introduced & Thai built.

clutches on the earlier 2.5lt's because the extra revs to get off the line towing. they are left wanting a bit in 1st off the line, that makes the auto D40 batter for towing heavy loads often.

I have a ZD30 powered D22 and love it. i have no problems towing with it.

Welcome to the forum too mate. hope the Nav works out for ya!

Hello,

I am a new D22 2.5 owner, just 1 month and 1300km. The following is my experience so far.

1. Quality - Good-Fair, Thai Build, i would imagine that the Jap Built pre 09 models would be slightly better build.

2. Ride - Harsh, I find it hard after 6 years in an 80 series Landcruiser

3. Economy - Excellent, 2nd tank 9.1Ltrs per 100k, Excellent after the 80 series Petrol!

4. Features - Fairly Good, Side Steps,Alloys,ABS,Dual Airbags,6 Stack CD (April Build On),Sports Bar,Elec Windows,Cent Locking, But Missing Remote Lock, Courtesy Light Switch on all doors but drivers,Immobiliser,Tonneau cover and Tub liner. In saying that Nissan Genuine parts are competitively priced.

5. Value for money - Excellent. I paid 31k drive away for an April Build (Update) July comply and i reckon a pre April Build could be bought for 29k or a bit more. Nothing else in it's class.

6. Performance - Reasonable.

All in all , we are quite happy with ours.

Regards
Greg

I dont mean to put down owners of the thai built cars

but I think the op should by between 2003 and 2008 (jap built 2.5)

The suspention sucks but if your going to change that then there's not much else that going to cause you to much grief. There a good bus!

Well, i managed to find myself a 2008 2.5TD navara. so far im pretty happy with it. haven't done anything with it besides going to the shops so far. looking forward to seeing its true potential and starting to modify it :D

Thanks for all the input.

Here is a picture.
IMG_7063a.jpg

Last edited:
You've done well. Don't hesitate to ask for help via the forum with all your plans for mods. The members have all been great with my newbie-to-diesel-4x4 questions and have saved me quite a bit of money as a result!

Yeah until late 2009 from memory.

All the 2.5's with the same tailgate as the 3.0L's were made in Japan.

The ones with the series one D22 tail gate are Thailand made.

Dave.

Mate can I ask how much you payed ?

Just after some ideas.

Dave.

hi dave,

i paid 30k through a dealer. came exactly with what you see in the photo, 45,000km on the clock. seems that white is a pretty rare colour, see lots of silver, black, red and blue but not many white

ur dog looks nice :D red doby :) and nice truck too! we went fro ma D40 back to a D22 and definately a good choice in teh D22. after our weekend camping trip evidentally u can go deep see diving in the diesels (the 3L) and make a pond in ur car, and they will come back to life after dried out LOL! nice reliable trucks thats for sure! (wasnt ours that was drowned but 2 of our mates in theirs)

hi dave,

i paid 30k through a dealer. came exactly with what you see in the photo, 45,000km on the clock. seems that white is a pretty rare colour, see lots of silver, black, red and blue but not many white

Cheers mate.

Nice buy, very tidy truck.

Dave.

ur dog looks nice :D red doby :) and nice truck too! we went fro ma D40 back to a D22 and definately a good choice in teh D22. after our weekend camping trip evidentally u can go deep see diving in the diesels (the 3L) and make a pond in ur car, and they will come back to life after dried out LOL! nice reliable trucks thats for sure! (wasnt ours that was drowned but 2 of our mates in theirs)

you're right, it's a red dobe :) not many people recognise them with the floppy ears and the long tail. shes 7 months old and 31kg of raw muscle.:big_smile:

Sorry for digging up old thread. Im buying a 2003 d22 3.0L TD, how do i tell if its built in japan or thailand??

The VIN number probably tells you but I'm not sure which bit, I know there is something here somewhere about telling Spain from Thai so maybe if you find that you can find which letters represent Thai and compare yours. I think it's the first few letters but I could be wrong.

I just found this quote from Tony in relation to Spain and Thai models so maybe that helps.

I've just discovered that the VS at the start of my VIN number indicates "Built in Spain". Vehicles built in Thailand should have ML, MM, MN, MO, MP, MQ or MR at the start of their VINs.

Latest posts

Back