canopies again!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bazooked

Reaction score
well im new to the navara, got a d22 coming next week, was looking at canopies and came across this mob advertising in the paper, Sports Range 4x4 Australia, got quoted 2300 drive in drive out, im yet to see these in person but i will try to next week, i cant make out the brand but im guessin they are chinese?, they were also 700 to 900 dollars cheaper than flexi glass and tjm.

hey mate
i got one of them installed last week. they are pretty good quality.
they are made in thailand, like the cars!
only thiing they need to fix is the switch for the light, keeps flicking on & off when i go over a big bump..

bit rich? they are the cheapest in perth, evrything is over 3k! now thats rich!, if u have a better deal id like to hear about it! and hutch that sounds like a wiring issue did u take it back?

only thiing they need to fix is the switch for the light, keeps flicking on & off when i go over a big bump..

that could be the interior light itself. some use a metal reflector and that can flex / vibrate and short the ground & switching terminals causing the light to flicker.

bit rich? they are the cheapest in perth, evrything is over 3k! now thats rich!, if u have a better deal id like to hear about it! and hutch that sounds like a wiring issue did u take it back?

yeh i would say so, but no not yet, long story but ARB have had my car for a week and im just too busy to get it fixed at moment..

Have you looked at Flexiglass?
I paid $1500 for mine delivered and fitted.
It was 1/2 the price of any of the others that I could get here in Cairns.
If you would like pictures just let me know...
Bill

I thought Flexi-glass made their canopy's in Perth - i'm suprised your not getting good prices from flexi-glass ?

The units look neat ... but with the large curve of the tailgate, you loose storage space ...

I thought Flexi-glass made their canopy's in Perth - i'm suprised your not getting good prices from flexi-glass ?

Yea they are , only if they were that cheap here!,the smooth finish 1 roof height was around the 2800 mark,I'll go check them out next week, I had a look at the sports range ones and they said they sit about 50mm higher than the roof, wich is a pain in the arse cause I got long fishing rods I want to carry!, if you have pix post them up!

Bazooked ... i have the flexi-glass hi-roof smooth canopy - i also have the flexi-glass installed roof racks, and then put a 2nd hand ARB 6' roof rack frame mounted to that.

Not sure of the total cost of installed canopy and racks - it was all part of the purchase deal from the local nissan sale dealer.

I have my surf rod holder bolted to the rear of the ARB frame ( i see no reason why you couldnt mount the rod holders directly to the flexi-glass racks though) ... here are a couple pics

P8130068.jpg

P8130065.jpg

Prices for canopy's vary everywhere, it's not a 1 size fits all market. Even taking out the ridiculous prices dealers charge for their so called "genuine" canopy's there is still major differences. I've seen brand new Nav canopy's in Melbourne down as low as $900 and I've seen them for over $3000. $2800 for a flexiglass is probably in the upper scale of average when I was looking at canopies.

As with everything you get what you pay for, sure they might all look the same at a glance but how they seal, how they fit and how they work are all factors in what makes a good canopy. Accessories like sliding front windows, lift up side windows, interior lighting and even construction all change the costs but it's definitely worth considering all of them before making any final choice because not all canopy's are fitted with the same things from the factory and not all canopy's are suited to all applications.

There is no point saving a few hundred dollars today by buying a canopy that has limited side access only to find tomorrow that you are want side access more than you want rear access because it will cost you more to convert most canopy's at a later date. It usually does come down to money with purchases like this but like so many other things a saving of $500 today may not be a saving in the long run so it really pays to do your research.

From past experiences I don't like ARB or Flexiglass and wouldn't buy another but neither suited my needs anyway. I paid a little more than some people are quoting but what I got was a canopy that not only suited my needs but one I was happy with because it's going to work for what I want to do. Also many of the canopy's I did look at only came to within about $100 of the final price of mine by the time I added things that didn't come standard like a sliding front window and lift up windows all round, not all companies provide these sort of things standard.

Thanks for the feed back, I did forget to mention all the canopies I'm looking at have liftup windows, brake light, interior light, front sliding window and heated rear glass, as for racks the only thing goin up there are my rods, the longest are 4.2 meters, so this is the reason i need a roof level canopy

the longest are 4.2 meters

Man am I so glad my days of carting around 1 piece 15 foot cane rods are long gone. Compared to 3 piece rods they are a bitch to cart, not to mention carry through the tracks to get to the beach. I used to think cane rods were brilliant on the beach but being able to hang 3 pieces off the inside roof of the canopy or just chucking them in the tub beats worrying about long 1 piece rods. Each to their own though, different rods for different people just like cars.

Yea I no lol my new one is a 3 piece and comes with 4,6,7 ounce tips, easily cast 100 plus meters, I still like my 1 piece purglass used it for many years, and I still want to use it lol

I haven't got too many rods I'm attached to like that because they never get used for long enough. I've started to buy terminal tackle in bulk these days because it saves me from making as many trips to the tackle store where I so often come up with an excuse to replace another rod. 2 of my current set of surf rods is only 8 months old because I went into SuperCheap Fishing to buy some bait for a fishing trip and came out with 2 brand new rods and reels to match, that was some of the most expensive bait I ever brought.

i have 2 x 1 piece rods and i also have a 2 piece rod - but the 2 piece rod wont seperate anymore ... so in effect, i have 3 x 1 piece surf rods.

i cant be bothered trying to count the number of boat rods anymore!, but along the lines of:
a set of 3 for chasing gummyes
a set of 1 for snapper (also use the gummy rods)
a set of 4 for whiting and/or similar sized fish
various rods for kids to use
AND
1 only 24kg Game fishing rod (had for 2 years - but never been used)

Latest posts

Back