2010 ST - Vibration in steering column???

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

During the drive from Canberra to Newy I noticed that on even the smallest bump I can feel a bit of vibration in the steering wheel. It's hard to describe accurately, but instead of play in the steering rack, it feels like there's the smallest amount of movement in the column itself.

Kinda like what you'd feel if you were checking wheel bearings in the steering wheel. If that makes sense. But you can't wobble the wheel at all...

Now I've read a lot of guys seem to have trouble with factory shockers, but the ride itself doesn't appear to be that bad.

This is the first IFS 4WD I've owned so I'm not sure what to expect really. Is it normal or should I get it checked out? It's only done 500 odd km.

Hi guys,

During the drive from Canberra to Newy I noticed that on even the smallest bump I can feel a bit of vibration in the steering wheel. It's hard to describe accurately, but instead of play in the steering rack, it feels like there's the smallest amount of movement in the column itself.

Kinda like what you'd feel if you were checking wheel bearings in the steering wheel. If that makes sense. But you can't wobble the wheel at all...

Now I've read a lot of guys seem to have trouble with factory shockers, but the ride itself doesn't appear to be that bad.

This is the first IFS 4WD I've owned so I'm not sure what to expect really. Is it normal or should I get it checked out? It's only done 500 odd km.

I had a similar problem with mine same model sent it back to the dealer they found that some of the uni joints in the column were loose.

There was a recall on them (D40 and R51) early on for one of the steering column unis not having the fixing bolt torqued up properly, but that sort of problem should be long in the past.

Also check your wheel balance as this will cause vibration to come through the steering wheel and make sure you don't have mud stuck in your rim as this will throw the balance out asell

There was a recall on them (D40 and R51) early on for one of the steering column unis not having the fixing bolt torqued up properly, but that sort of problem should be long in the past.

that's the sort of thing i was worried about. i will have to check the build date, but assumed that brand spankers meant brand spankers...

cheers for the tip scottybobcat, i don't notice any other issues with the thing that point towards wheel balance but if i take it offroad it's something i'll make sure i check!!

Wheel balance issues are actually easy to spot once the vibration is noticed. If the frequency of the vibration increases at the same rate as vehicle speed, it's wheel balance almost every time. It could also be wheel alignment, but you'd notice that the car tends to favour either left or right turns and there'll be feathering on one edge of the front tyres.

Evan, have you noticed this kind of timing, or does it only coincide with bumps in the road?

nope, definitely isn't wheel balance. if the road is smooth it performs faultlessly at a WIDE variety of speeds...

only happens on bumps. but i noticed today it also occurs when the engine is labouring. which to me suggests there is something loose in the steering.

it really is a tiny vibration and i'm guessing nothing to worry about too much, but because i'm holding the wheel (well you'd hope so!!) i notice it when it happens.

I've got the 1000km service coming up soon so I'll make sure it's sorted then!

Latest posts

Back