Play in steering/clunk

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bax84

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've had a search but all the results don't seem that relevant to my situation.

I understand the amount of free play in the wheels, and I don't really mind if there's some.

But I'm fairly sure it's not normal to clunk/ and to be able to feel it through the wheel when turning the wheel even the smallest amounts. It's definitely not when I'm at full lock. It will happen when the wheels are straight, just a change of direction is enough for it to clunk.

I've had a quick look, and I can grab the shaft in the engine bay, and when I twist it manually by hand, there are two clunks/clangs. One that happens at the top, where it is splined into column, and has a rubber bush. And the second clunk is coming from down towards the steering box itself, but I'm unable to really see it clearly.

Can somebody with some more knowledge in the area tell me what I should be tightening or looking at.

I've got the manuals but I can't find anything in them haha

Cheers guys.

Sounds like intermediate shaft play.

Uncertain about navaras but with our jackeroo it required replacement of the steering column guts to sort the problem.

The symptoms you describe sound identical.

That sounds like a fantastic option, lol.

My steering wheel isn't straight either, I've been meaning to send it in for an alignment, because I've got a feeling it's taken a solid hit that's thrown it all out of whack. Probably did some damage to the column while it was at it.

Might head to the wreckers at lunch time and see what they've got, knowing my local wreckers though it'll be cheaper to buy a new one direct from Nissan.

Latest posts

Back