load carring capacity in tub

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
can anyone please tell me how many kilos can be put in tub of d40 dual cab

as my truck botoms out with only 400kgs
I rang nissan Aust they said carring capacity is 810 kg
in owners book can only find rear gross axle weight of (1,663kg)

The tray should be good for a tonne, but the rear springs are set up for comfort with abit of load.

Put some heavy duty springs in the back if you wanna carry alot.

Dave.

Gross vehicle mass - tare mass - driver = payload.

With stock springs it will sit on the rubber bump stops at max capacity, but they're part of the suspension too, they form the last part of the progressive spring.

If you want it to sit better at max payload (and ride like crap), fit harder aftermarket springs. If you want to vary the harshness, fit helper airbags.

Hi jerry

exactly what dave said.

The original Suspension is too soft for real carrying capacity - the Nav will sit arse down every time. You dont have to go for a LIFT KIT to fix it (most people do though).

I spoke to IRONMAN and even had one of their guys check my Nav over to see how much i had in the drawer system i'd installed, together with fridge, spare fuel (4x20L jerry cans) all in the back - and was informed that i should get the C lift kit designed for constant load.

So far i've been really happy with it since it was done about 2 or 3 months ago.

Front went up nearly 60mm
Rear went up nearly 100mm
BUT consider that front and rear suspension had already sagged badly after only 8 months - so those figures are very exagerated compared to a brand new, never used Nav with NO extra's. Then all the figures would be much closer to 45 front and 55 rear i do think.

Just be careful with airbags to always set them correctly, D40s have been known to break their chassis when the airbags are not set correctly.

The max load on a D40 Dual Cab auto is 810kg, absolutely, and the manual can take 820kg. The highest capacity in the D40 range is in the King Cab RX 4x4 Manual which can take 1,110kg.

As the others have said, the springs are a compromise between empty driveability and moderate capacity. I've never liked the ride of the rear axle when the tub's empty, it's rather harsh and stiff, but when I load it up and attach the van it sags badly.

You could get Ironman helper springs. I'm going to get some and fit them as needed - it's supposed to take about 10-15 minutes to put them on, so it'll become part of my routine when I'm attaching the van.

Thanks for the info .
will have to put akit in Thinking of (Tough Dog) & firestone bags
cost abit but will work well I think.

Hello Jerry

My D40 is 1.5 years old and the back end had sagged badly, springs even appeared to be slightly inverted. When I went camping recently it was hitting the bump stops and clearance in the sand was lousy. After a lot of reading and checking around I have had new suspension fitted. Went with Old Man Emu springs and Coils, shackles, pins bushes etc combined with Bilstein Shocks. I have gone for the constant load springs as I have a canopy, long range tank, tow bar and set of drawers. Even with tank on empty and drawers empty the ride is fantastic and not harsh at all. Even though the as new ride with Nissan kit is pretty smooth I am really impressed with the ride on the new suspension and have no regrets. When researching suspensions I did look at Tough Dog but was put of by the Foam Cell shocks, advice suggested they are to harsh a ride for dual cabs. Also if they overheat they are stuffed whereas when gas shocks cool down their performance is back to normal.
I also met a guy towing his 20 foot caravan with a D40, he had fitted helper springs and said the towing performance was greatly improved. Having been dreadful before the helpers.

Hope this helps

cheers
Jono

My D40 is 1.5 years old and the back end had sagged badly, springs even appeared to be slightly inverted.

Jono ... my spring were like that after only 6 months ... could not wait any longer to fix the problem. Thats why i put the Ironman constant load 'c' 50mm lift kit in. And like you, fixed the problem and drive is much more comfortable.

Well I have just put in Old Man Emu consant load leafs,spring,struts,shocks ect with polyair bellows. haven't got it back on the road yet wating for New drilled /slotted disc & pads to arrive .
About to take a 5 week trip around Tassie hope I dont need to speed any more $$$$$ on this truck.
thanks all for info

i put the ironman load helpers along with new shocks the original shocks were buggered, the load helpers were good to begin with but we are towing our van 23ft most of the time on the road the rear started bottoming out on the U bolts of the load helper against the chassis rail i have removed the load helpers might have to look at replacing the rear springs

one of the big problems with double cabs is your tub/deck load is often behind the rear axle.
the further behind the axle the less you can carry due to leverage effects.
its reduced further if towing as that adds weight onto tow ball which is furthest distance out.

a few hundred kilo at the end of the deck/tub is worse than 1000kg in the back seats.
its all about placement of the load as well as the weight.

have to be careful with load helpers, air bags etc. by stiffening the suspension you can carry more load (or load placed poorly) but that places more stress on chassis.

Like Dion said Gross vehicle mass - tare mass - driver = payload.
So tray or tub and a full tank of fuel and 2 occupants your dual cab capacity could be as low as 400 kg capacity.Anyone considering airbags should take into consideration that raising the rear height to take the weight will affect the brake bias.I found out the hard way.I had 700 kgs on the tray and about 25lbs in the air bags had a great ride.Went for the brakes in anger and had the abs on sliding down a dirt track.Seems the front discs were doing all the work.

In stock form the d40 is a car with 4wd abilities but 240kg is all you can load
forget about what nissan claim,840kg is rubbish add your canopy if you have one 90kg plus your gear work it out

i put the ironman load helpers along with new shocks the original shocks were buggered, the load helpers were good to begin with but we are towing our van 23ft most of the time on the road the rear started bottoming out on the U bolts of the load helper against the chassis rail i have removed the load helpers might have to look at replacing the rear springs

I need to confirm this: I had the Load Plus springs on for some time and the inverted leafs just didn't cope at all. I cranked the Load Plus helpers up as hard as I could and it couldn't cope - the springs were knackered.

OME Dakar dual-rate springs on board now, car sits 85mm higher than it did with the Load Plus springs wound all the way up and when I'm towing I still have more clearance - I had to drop the tow ball on the HR WDH to near the lowest point!

Hi Tony
I have a OME GVM upgrade 400Kg and after 18 months and my car with empty LRA fuel tank and empty set of aluminium drawers sits only 12 mm above standard. Do I have faulty leaf spring?
Front sits 25mm above standard.
Thanks

I'd certainly be going back to ARB and getting them to take a look at it - sounds like it's not very healthy. The 85mm gained is in the rear - the front rose by 43mm or something like that.

Latest posts

Back