Tyre advice please.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skater

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this forum and new to 4wding. I'm chasing a bit of wisdom coming to my new tyre choice.

I have an 04 Single Cab dx, at the moment running 6inch rims. I can get tyres relatively cheap straight from a distributor as our compapny has a tyre franchise.

Was thinking of using 235/85r16 muddies as they are the biggest that will fit a 6inch rim and using the money saved on purchasing rims to spend on either a front lokka or some rear leafs.

OR....

Should i bit the bullet and save up for some 8" sunnies to fit either 32" or 33"s??

Not sure if the extra $450 for rims is worth it for a possible 120-200mm extra tread across all 4.

Please lend advice.

Cheers Callan.

What do you plan on doing with the ute? Weekend bushwork? Beach? Mud & bogholes?

+1 from jason

getting wide tyres for mud or sand or rock to me is a plus. If you can get it, take it> Lokka would depend on what you use it for and how often

I currently run 235-85-16s on my d21. Any taller and its too hard for my little Z24 to push it. They fit within the std mud gaurds and dont scrape anywhere. Not sure of offroad pros and cons, but so far as std rims suspension and bodywork, they fit perfectly....

I am running the 235/85/16 on my stock DX rims and they are a 32". I have found them great, only been out a few times and I have heaps more clearance than the stock size. They do look a little thin but I managed to go everywhere that guys in Patrlos running 33/10.5/15s, I think if you go for the wider rims you will have to lift the suspension or the body as you will get a bit of rubbing.

I originally brought the ute to landscape my house and to have a economical diesel to drive to my new job without a fuel card.

But now the 4wd bug has bitten hard. The only thing holding me back is the said house that im paying off.

It will see more mud,rock and climbs mostly around S.E.Q, then beach for the weekend whenever me and the mates are keen.

I can get the 235/85 buckshots for $170, yet to get a price on the 265 and 285s. If i do buy rims i will def get some steelies, either 20+ or 0 offset.

To me a front lokka is a must to counteract the IFS, which pops wheels way to often for some of the bumpier terrain.

Is the width really worth the extra $450-$600 for new rims???

I reckon it is.I have 0 offset on mine and cooper stt 265/75/16's and they got me out of some really slippery and muddy shit half way up a hill the other day.If I didnt have them I would still be stuck there now.lol

haha. cheers Scotty.

Do you have any scrubbing with that tyre and rim combo?? I see in your garage you have a body lift. Did you have to do any guard work?

Last edited:
Skater,

I have 265/75/16 Mickey T MTZ on 16x8 steels with +20 offset.

OME medium springs in the rear and wound the front up. Cut some plastic off the inside of the front mud flaps and there is no rubbing at all. I am contemplating some extended shackles in the rear to get a bit more height from the springs - the HD springs sit higher than the mediums but I wanted the better rideas I don't carry heavy loads.

The tyres are great and work really well off road and the noise is bearable on the black top.

Cheers.

Attachments

• DSCF6837.jpg
    DSCF6837.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCF6846.jpg
    DSCF6846.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
I reckon it is.I have 0 offset on mine and cooper stt 265/75/16's and they got me out of some really slippery and muddy shit half way up a hill the other day.If I didnt have them I would still be stuck there now.lol

If ya winch didn't play up, you would have got out all right too ... LOL

I doubt it was the tyres that got u up the hill, i think it had more to do with the power unit under the bonnet ....

but in hindsight, we should have let more air out of the tyres and u might have made it up a bit easier too.

Ridgie,

The +20 and the 265s sit great.

I can get 33's for $245 or the 32's for $255 as the later needs to be ordered in.

Im leaning towards the 32's as i wont have to lift the body and tray. Not sure if anyone has lifted there bars and have had it engineered.

It would be great to fit 33's without a body lift. Anyone managed or know of this.

Cheers for the help, aswell.

haha. cheers Scotty.

Do you have any scrubbing with that tyre and rim combo?? I see in your garage you have a body lift. Did you have to do any guard work?

I had 265/75/16's on the standard rims before I did body and suspension.
With the 0 offset I had to trim a little bit off the inside of the mud flaps but not the gaurds but that was with the body lift.

Scotty your right, on the tyre calculator the 33's are a touch over 50mm increase which is no good to the plod.

I was never concerned with that when i was modifying commodores as they were never insured, but the Nav is...... Dont wanna spend $800pa to NRMA for nothing.

32's on +20 It is.

Thanks for the input lads.

You do notice the loss of power on the road even just going to the 32"s. It is fine off road, but down low in the revs on the road it really drags the ass.

Latest posts

Back