Z24 getting Tired

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobys

Reaction score
firstly,l know this subject has been done to death...but here is my problem and would really appreciate your thoughts.
My 91 4x4 kingcab has now done 300k and is basically a slug now.Using a small amount of oil ,is lowish on compression(especially 1 pot) and has valve problems.
But besides only being able to do 100kph on flat ground,it starts easy and is reliable.
But l need to do something kind of soon.l dont know whether a transplant is the answer.And if so?....what options?
Or a changeover Z24 from RPM etc etc?
l am willing to spend 2-3 grand and am not looking for crazy power figures.
Mainly a few more KW's and more importantly MORE TORQUE.
Oh,and l am in Melbourne.Any ideas thanks Steve

Hi Mate,

Altho I dont own a Navara yet, Im looking into getting one specificaly to do an engine conversion. I have been speaking with 'Dion' on here and he has given me some pretty usefull info.

Firtly lets start with the factory z24 output. Aparently this baby 'as new' pushed ~106 Hp with ~182 Nm of tourque.

Now the nav also came out with a Ka24e. This badboy had EFI and pushed out 130/140 Hp with 206Nm of tourque. From what ive heard you need the bellhousing, change fuel pump to efi and redo some electricals and you can drop one of these in.

while in the KA family why not look at the newer KA24DE, this bad boy push's 155 HP with 217nm of tourque 'as new'. These came out in a couple of cars, but mainly the american S13's.

If your like me, you may try to put an sr20det in there. these have around 200 Hp with 280 Nm of tourque. Not sure if these bolt in, ill tell you after i try :)

the sr and ka24de may not have the rear facing sump you require, so you may need to make something, or find out if they came in a 4wd, perhaps the ka24e from the navara sump will bolt onto a Ka24de, im not sure.

you also have the diesel options, the sd23 td27 and td27turbo. These will all bolt onto your exsisting gearbox if you bring across their bellhousing (aparently).

the nav came out in a 3l, but sadly it uses a different gearbox, so if you wanted to smash the Vg30 (160hp/247nm) you will need its gearbox as well (find a smashed nav with one and you have all the bits).

So, you have options, but they will be a little bit of work.

Christian

My 91 4x4 kingcab has now done 300k and is basically a slug now.Using a small amount of oil ,is lowish on compression(especially 1 pot) and has valve problems.

Welcome to Z24 ownership.

But l need to do something kind of soon.l dont know whether a transplant is the answer.And if so?....what options?
Or a changeover Z24 from RPM etc etc?
l am willing to spend 2-3 grand and am not looking for crazy power figures.
Mainly a few more KW's and more importantly MORE TORQUE.
Oh,and l am in Melbourne.Any ideas thanks Steve

Difficulty:
Hardish: VG30E
Simpler: 4x2 KA24DE or KA24E
Simpler again: 4x4 VG33E
Simpler again: 4x4 KA24E
Simplest: rebuilt Z24.

Cost highest to lowest:
VG33E
VG30E
KA24DE
KA24E
Rebuilt Z24

Fuel Economy (best to worst):
KA24DE
KA24E
VG33E
VG30E
Z24

Now the nav also came out with a Ka24e. This badboy had EFI and pushed out 130/140 Hp with 206Nm of tourque. From what ive heard you need the bellhousing, change fuel pump to efi and redo some electricals and you can drop one of these in.

Z24 bellhousing will fit. You need a 4x4 Z24 sump or a 4x4 KA24E sump.

while in the KA family why not look at the newer KA24DE, this bad boy push's 155 HP with 217nm of tourque 'as new'. These came out in a couple of cars, but mainly the american S13's.

Over here, Navaras and high-end Pulsars, but in the Pulsar it's a FWD config motor and doesn't fit in a Nav.

the sr and ka24de may not have the rear facing sump you require, so you may need to make something, or find out if they came in a 4wd, perhaps the ka24e from the navara sump will bolt onto a Ka24de, im not sure.

Yes, and a Z24 sump bolts on as well.

Ditch the Z24 and go the KA series, heaps better motor and better on fuel.

Dave.

Buy a rusty Terrano for under a grand and swap the TD27T

Def an option

Two corrections:

1. Rebuilt Z24 likely to be the most expensive. I was quoted $3k. A replacement KA24E plus loom plus ecu cost me $1000 from the wreckers, and that was with compresison test and warranty, delivered. I can get a wrecked Pathy shell with V6, gearbox, loom etc for $1500 pickup. Prob cheaper in the city.

2. Z24 sump will not fit a KA24E but will come close. you will need to mod the front end where it meets the timing case, redrill the bolt holes, and bring the oil pickup from the Z24 along as well.

To flog Dion's list, and with some slight editing

Difficulty:
Hardish: VG30E
Simpler: 4x2 KA24DE or KA24E
Somewhere in here: TD27T
Simpler again: 4x4 VG33E
Simpler again: 4x4 KA24E
Simplest: rebuilt Z24.

Cost highest to lowest:
Rebuilt Z24
VG33E
VG30E
TD27T
KA24DE
KA24E

Fuel Economy (best to worst):
TD27T
KA24DE
KA24E
VG33E
VG30E
Z24

You'll notice a definite lack of SR20 in the list. It's not the right motor for a big heavy 4WD. It's a great motor for ricing around surburban McDonald's car parks. If that's what you like.

Last edited:
You'll notice a definite lack of SR20 in the list. It's not the right motor for a big heavy 4WD. It's a great motor for ricing around surburban McDonald's car parks. If that's what you like.[/QUOTE]

Def not looking at SR20 or FJ20 etc. just want it to be able to pull the odd trailer and go up hills a bit better. Does anyone know of anyone in Melbourne that could : either,fit an RPM Z24 or one of the above mentioned options? coz l wouldnt know one end of a spanner from the other lol.

Does anyone know of anyone in Melbourne that could : either,fit an RPM Z24 or one of the above mentioned options? coz l wouldnt know one end of a spanner from the other lol.

I can do that for you. PM me if you want to work something out.

Latest posts

Back