Newbie from Northern Rivers

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
Hey all,

Finally joined up after a bunch of registration problems (huge thanks to Dave for sorting out).

I've owned more cars than I care to count over the years and am definitely no stranger to Navaras.

My Uncle has owned a 91 Terrano for about 15 years which I have borrowed a few times when I'm visiting.

Dad had a 2wd 94 D21 work hack for years.
That bullet proof KA24 had 380k on the clock, never used a drop of oil and never once touched except for servicing and could still manage 180km/h with a 750kg excel body on the back.

Poor thing only lasted a few months at the hands of an unsympathetic teenager and is now rotting away in the wrecking yard.

And I for several years had the 2003 D22 single cab tipper tray which I was very pleased with

100_0536.jpg

Photo0003.jpg

Anyway a few months back my ex's step father just chucked me the keys to his d21 single cab and said here ya go have a paddock basher for the farm.
About half an hour later I finally pulled my jaw up off the floor.

Yes its an old 89 model and has almost 300k on the clock but the reason I was in shock was he has owned it since new and it's in mint condition, been babied it's entire life, I don't think the tow bar has ever even been used before I got it.

Anyway far to good to use for a farm ute anyway.

Completely original and unmolested, never been in a prang, never repainted etc etc
Even had the original 1 speaker AM only radio lol.

When I had it pink slipped about 6 months ago the guy said he has never come across one so tight in the front end still.

All I've done externally is fitted the Narva ultimas and the chrome steelies I got off ebay with good tyres for $50

PB280200.jpg

PB280202.jpg

Anyway sorry for the long winded first post.

The TD27 Runs like clockwork and everything still works like new but it does have a few small issues consistant with being 22 years old

PB280205.jpg

I've completely gone over the cooling system

I replaced all the radiator and heater hoses as they were rock hard, the thermostat as it was jammed open and a new radiator as the fins on the old one were disintegrating and were completely blocked up with paspalum seeds from years of driving down the paddock.
Amazingly it never overheated but it did get hot climbing hills especially pulling the car trailer.

PB300207.jpg

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on my front suspension.
I was having trouble with my headlight aim not being high enough till I realized it was just the front end sagging after 20+ years.
I've been told new front shockies will help abit as mine are just starting to weep, but I'm thinking its more the torsion bars.

Heres hows my adjusters currently sit, I want to lift it 40mm, will I get anywhere near that just winding these up or do I need to reindex the torsion bars?

PB280204.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mate that trailer should be behind a d40, Its mauve/lilac at least no one in their right mind would steal it:sarcastic:

Good to see your ute's Joel.

If you haven't already changed your password, do it as the way I gave wasn't awesome.

Talk to Zordo about the torsion bars or Ultimate Suspension.

They'll sort it out, Id guess the 2wd's have different rate torsion bars.

Enjoy the forum.

Welcome to the forum!

The sag won't be from the shocks, it'll be from the springs (torsion bars, ok) - but you might need to replace the shocks anyway, front and rear.

Bloody nice ride to be handed the keys to. Good one!

Good to see your ute's Joel.

If you haven't already changed your password, do it as the way I gave wasn't awesome.

Talk to Zordo about the torsion bars or Ultimate Suspension.

They'll sort it out, Id guess the 2wd's have different rate torsion bars.

Enjoy the forum.

Password was first thing I sorted out, thanks again for all the help with that.

Welcome to the forum!

The sag won't be from the shocks, it'll be from the springs (torsion bars, ok) - but you might need to replace the shocks anyway, front and rear.

Bloody nice ride to be handed the keys to. Good one!

Gonna stick new shocks in the front soon, current ones are fairly old and starting to leak out the seals.

Not looking to spend a fortune but don't wanna skimp either, any particular shocks to avoid or go for?
I learned ages ago in my mainstreamer cars to avoid Ultima struts lol, I imagine the 4x4 world is no different with a fair share of cheap poorly made parts.

Schmicko D21 mate.

Try it and see... I think you're in with a chance without reindexing.

Thanks Dion,
I started reading your build thread yesterday, impressive work and something I thought of with mine too.

If i was buying another 4x4 it would have been a dual cab so I can cut down on the number of cars I have, its ridiculous what I pay each year to keep these cars registered and insured.
But I certainly wasn't going to turn down a free car, especially a diesel 4x4 in this condition.

I just figured I could find a good shell and transfer all my running gear over but thats ruining a perfectly good ute, and it earns its keep often enough being a full tray.

Looks like a flash vw in the shed as well, Was that it on the trailer before a clean up

Cheers, One of the beautifully coloured trailer was one of many but not the same one in the shed, the white one is the pride of the fleet.

Suba-beetle, Volks-aru, vWRX, whatever you wanna call it :sarcastic:

German body, Japanese heart ;)

756808.jpg

So you have a lot planned for the Beetle ?

A few mates use to be right into them.

Welcome to the forum mate.What a great 1st post and your a tin arse for getting the d21 given to you. You may have to reindex the torsion bars but see how much play you have with them first.Post some more pics of the VW up mate.

If i was buying another 4x4 it would have been a dual cab so I can cut down on the number of cars I have, its ridiculous what I pay each year to keep these cars registered and insured.
But I certainly wasn't going to turn down a free car, especially a diesel 4x4 in this condition.

I just figured I could find a good shell and transfer all my running gear over but thats ruining a perfectly good ute, and it earns its keep often enough being a full tray.

Yeah it'd be a shame to mess with such a nice example. Besides, if I had my time again I'd go the King Cab with a foldaway middle seat and that's what I'd recommend to others, the dual cab tray is really short.

Cheers all for the welcome and advice.

I'll have to start a proper members ride thread soon save dragging this one on and on.
How long do my messages need to be approved by a mod for before I can post instantly?

I haven't got any great plans for the Navara at this stage, but one thing you will quickly work out is all my cars are constantly evolving, they never stay the same for long.
Pretty much every car I buy starts out totally stock, (I never normally buy already modified cars ) then the modifying bug takes over.
Nearly every car of mine goes through several looks, audio systems, suspension setups, sets of rims, the Navara has already had 3 sets of rims in the 7 months I've owned it.
I'm called the rim whore, my bug is the worst though and has had around 14 sets of different rims since I bought it in the late 90s.

The bug for those that were asking I guess I'll never call finished cos as above it's forever changing as well,
It's now on engine number 9, I built a whole stack of worked VW engines from big bore, to turboed and Supercharged but for the last few years been dabbeling with Subaru engines, just finished building up the 3rd for it a few months ago.

I wanted to take a classic car and keep it classic but at the same time give it all the mod cons a new car has which make it more comfortable and safe to drive without going over the top
so it's got the 2005 Subaru EJ254 engine, 4 wheel disks, A/C, modern seats, power windows, central locking, head up display, decent stereo system etc etc.

I'll probably re do the body and paint over the next few years and also thinking about a new interior as well.

Here's some older pics of it

648234.jpg

670047.jpg

Lbug508.jpg

Back