Highway tyres for Moreton trip?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kell26

Reaction score
Hi all i am looking for some feedback, i have an 07 D40 Narvara with highway tyres fitted. We are looking at going to Moreton Island soon and would like some advice on whether or not we would would be able to get around Moreton when dropping our tyre pressures to 20psi with the tyres that we have on the car. We will get All Terrains fitted later but are wondering if we can get away with out them for this trip. Thanks for your help

You will be fine with the highway tyres on sand, probably more so than someone with mud tyres on! Don't forget you can go lower than 20psi if you think you need to.

Cheers Brad

I'm always nervous driving on unfamiliar beaches, I tend to go straight down to 15psi, better to be safe than sorry.

As Nevyn said the less tread the better, although H/T aren't as strong (more susceptible to punctures offroad)

Last edited:
You'll do it easy on highway tyres, in fact they are probably the best for sand. Back before the days of 4x4's people used to drive old holden utes and stuff on the beach, they used to fit those big aeroplane tyres with no tread at all

Thank you for everyone's advise we feel a lot more confident now with the tyres we have on the car. Thank's again

Pal with the rain we have had of late I wouldn't even let my tyres down unless you were towing a boat or caravan...
Seriously..........! But I drive a D22:sarcastic:

Yep they will be every bit as good as all terrains on the sand and yes after the rain it should be pretty easy going.

Make sure you do the walk up to the lighthouse up at the cape, it is magnificent.

Where are you camping?

do not use highway tyres you will definitely get bogged!!!!!!!!!!hahaha just kidding,like these guys have said and most tyre shops will tell you h/t tyres are great on sand.i have been going to moreton for 10 years with all sorts of different tyres and never had a problem(don't you say anything Matt).it is a beautiful island and well worth a look.Like Matt said the lighthouse has some great views and the biue lagoon is worth a visit for a nice refreshing swim,hope you have fun!!!!!!!!!

i did a trip on sand with my BFG ATs and a friend had a rav4 with highway tyres, i'd say highway tyres are better in sand than anything agressive. just get the pressures right. if you PM me your email address i can send you the Cooper tyres guide. good info for different conditions. that goes for everyone else too. happy to email to whoever, it's a PDF and 5mb.

Latest posts

Back