My Big Tow

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KraftyPg

Drove 50 odd ks yesterday with this trailer (1.6 tonne unloaded) rolling behind the Nav hauling 1 bull and 3 cows with a total weight of just under 2000kgs.

trailer1.gif

The 4 beasts nicknamed "the Pyscho's" because of their wild behavior bucked and jumped around in that thing the whole bloody way. Also did four 5k trips to and from the farms jam packed with sheep once we got home. The Nav did it beautifully. It got a few degrees hotter than usual (according to SCII) but it was also 31 degrees so I'm willing to accept that. Fuel economy was out the window and down the road, I was getting 17's for the majority of the trip, but that's to be expected.

trailer2.gif

Considering it's weight the trailer is pretty good behind the Nav, the only problem we found is a manufacturing fault which could be an issue for any like minded souls with trailers like this made to spec. There is a 170AH battery used to power the hydraulics and the brakes, that battery gets a feed from the socket at the towbar and providing there is 12 volts at the socket will charge. The problem with this one is that its a constant feed system, when not in use the system is still drawing power from the battery it's a minimal drain but it's one that could be fixed with a simple isolator.

Usually this trailer gets used every few weeks and because the drain is so minimal it's not an issue that has reared it's ugly head, but because we haven't used the bugger for over 4 months the constant drain left us with 2V in the battery the other day when we picked it up. Lucky for us we checked it all before we left but had we not checked it would have been nice getting down the road to find out our vehicle was trying to charge a 12v battery from 2v and we had no bloody brakes, worse still the trailer came unhitched and sailed off down the road with no means of brakes because it had no power to operate the damn things. When we get 5 mins we are putting a solar cell on the front and an isolator in the circuit to make sure the next time we want battery power we will have it.

Nah, because we are only newish (3 years) partners in all this the guy we are in with has always used someone else to move cattle but with three of us now involved we've decided unless we need to shift more than a few at a time we'll do it in the trailer we paid a small fortune for (and sheep don't count we just rack em and stack in the trailer :big_smile:).

Anything more than a few animals we've got a guy with a truck but a truck of our own is just another expense because most of what we need is only short distance a few at a time trips.

Pulling isn't the issue (as some of you might already know), technically the D40 shouldn't have pulled it, the total weight on road with the beasts in it was 3.6T. A D22 will pull it easy enough the problem when pulling anything that large is stopping the bloody thing (something else I know from experience :ha:), hence why we were pissed off with the battery issue which would have rendered the brakes useless. But thanks to 12 hours and an $89 SCA battery charger the 12V battery reading 2V was rearing to go by the time we were.

to quote a famous one liner ...

TELL 'EM THERE DREAMING ...

Made you bite didn't it Woody.

Pulling isn't the issue (as some of you might already know), technically the D40 shouldn't have pulled it, the total weight on road with the beasts in it was 3.6T. A D22 will pull it easy enough the problem when pulling anything that large is stopping the bloody thing (something else I know from experience :ha:), hence why we were pissed off with the battery issue which would have rendered the brakes useless. But thanks to 12 hours and an $89 SCA battery charger the 12V battery reading 2V was rearing to go by the time we were.

3.6T, bit over weight there old son.

Still not bad economy with a combined weight of around 5.7T.

Dave.

3.6T, bit over weight there old son.

Still not bad economy with a combined weight of around 5.7T.

Dave.

Tis tis over weight but we didn't get caught so it's all ok isn't it :big_smile: The trailer usually gets dragged behind the Prado because even filling it with sheep pushes it close to the 3 tonne limit but the Prado was busy on Tuesday so we had to use my Nav.

I am lucky with the economy because until we got to the farm it was pretty much all flat driving (expect for the potholes) on country roads and being a fuel miser I never try to break any records but with that much moving weight slow take offs and steady maintainable speeds made the ride much more pleasant than trying to rush the job.

Yeah but it's different when it's not your vehicle. The 4 litre petrol pulls well and it pulls hard, but then it's not mine so the economy doesn't matter :smile:

It's rare the thing has more than 1000kgs of beef in it anyway, it's too bloody hard to tow when there is such an amount of moving weight, dead weight is ok but moving weight kills it and means the driver has to work too hard.

Being a country area I reckon your chance of getting caught is slim.

Be a good boy and become a changed man and use a F250 or something to tow it.

Dave.

I'm trying to talk the guys into buying a truck, there's an auction this weekend with a suitable 12 tonner but my pleas are falling on deaf ears, apparently we aren't made of money.

Buy it.

A mate was driving a Mitsubishi truck for work, I think it was a 6 tonner or there abouts but unloaded it was quick. Well for a truck.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back