SamboD21's 89 Nav

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamboD21

Reaction score
Gday all
I thought Id put up some pics of my rig.
This thread will progress slowly as things get done.

When I bought it, it was very tidy, ran well and it was looked after. However, it had 2wd rims and tyres on it and the torsion bars had been wound down so far it was sitting on the bump stops. First thing I did was whack on some 245/75/16 BF All Terrains, wind up the torsion bars then drive it. It was ok to drive, handled well on road (although very stiff), but was heavy in the steering and heavy on fuel. But it was very reliable.

Wasnt long until my fat arse broke through the bench seat and I was sitting on the floor everywhere I went. So I threw down some towels, and looked hard for a wrecked D22. Looked for a while but couldnt find anything closeby. I ended up ripping out the bench and put in some seats from a donor car. Holden Berlina VN model. I bought it for the V6 and auto, and also the gas system. Turned out pretty well, very comfortable seats and in excellent condition too.

Not long after that, the front shocks died. Absolutely destroyed the rubbers in the lower eyelet. Whacked on some Tough Dog big bore jobbies. Ride improved a fair bit.

Last week I was at the local Bob Jane getting some tubes for work. Saw a set of Maxxis Bighorn there in a 33x12.5x15. I just had to have them, so $1000 and a coupla tyres later, I have five new tyres. This is how it sits now.

Attachments

• D21 All Terrains (Small).jpg
    D21 All Terrains (Small).jpg
    108 KB · Views: 22,219
  • No seats (Small).jpg
    No seats (Small).jpg
    72 KB · Views: 79
  • VN Berlina buckets (Small).jpg
    VN Berlina buckets (Small).jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 85
  • SamboD21's 89 Nav (Small).jpg
    SamboD21's 89 Nav (Small).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 89
It will stay as it is for now. Apart from tidy up jobs like new lights, indicators etc, I will just wheel it.
I have just bought a Toyota 4Runner. Plan is to get it ready for a daily driver, then pull the Navara off the road and SAS IT! WooHoo

Pinelli

Didnt take much mate. Kocked up some mounts into a L shape, then welded them onto the rails. Can get fotos if ya want them.

Thaks for the comments. After taking it to Goulburn and back via Trunkey Creek, with a bit of low range action on the Abercrombie River, I discovered I need to take out some more of the guard. Nice camping spot there by the way.

Hey sambo, is your's a td27,i have an 89 exactly the same,was my work ute before i got the d22,yeah i had the same my fat arse went through the seat,the shocks did the same,but a great reliable little engine, mine has 290000 on it and still runs like a dream,good economy to.

My truck has the Z24. I have now clocked up 377,900km.
It will be getting a Commy V6 and auto. I need more power than the Z24 can give me.

Currently looking at engine conversions. I bought a VN berlina a while ago thinking the V6 would be the go. Now Im not sure.

Having recently buying a Toyota 4Runner for a daily wheeler, I have been looking into conversions for it. Of the most popular, two motors stand out. First by far is the 1uzfe toyota quad cam, but what interests me most is either a 5.0/5.7 holden or the newer LS1.

Anyone done this to a D21 Nav? What I want to know is will it fit? If I can squeeze it in there, it will be done. I will use the Nav as an experiment for a later conversion into the
4Runner, work out the bugs/kinks etc. I know Scottybobcat has done it, is the engine bay the same as a D21 size wise?

Time will tell.

compared the two engine bays sambo and there looks to be nothing in it between the two utes,the chassis rails seem to be the same distance apart,length wise from front apron to firewall the same,the d22 chassis looks to be beefier than the d21.

Thanks alot Biggazza. Spoke with a wrecker in Adelaide today. I can have a Gen3 motor to my door for $3k. All ancillaries, loom and ECU. Sounds a bit dear to me. I can get one cheaper I recon

Last edited:
I read somewear that the d21 and d22 chassis are pretty much the same.i have the genuine nissan service manuals for the d21, i had a look at chassis measurements,but there only between bolt down points body to chassis so mean jack shit.

Latest posts

Back