Engine dying seconds after start up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive a problem with the navara (3ltr TD) that sometimes after start up it will idle for maybe 3-5 seconds then just die. Its very weird that it wont do it for months then on the weekend whilst being at land cruiser it done it nearly every time i went to restart the engine. Ive figured that it only does it when the engines warmed up so starting it in the morning is fine or if the engine has not been running for a couple of hrs. When it does happen im always able to restart the engine after about 10 seconds of cranking and during that time its completely dead, it dosent even try and start, but like i said after about 10 seconds it splutters into life and i maintain revs at about 1500rpm for about 20 seconds then you drive the car like normal and its all fine, it dosent miss a beat. Any guys out there who have experienced the same problem or have iny ideas/solutions on how to fix would be much appreciated, Cheers

Matty

pump the primer pump on the fuel filter? is it soft for any more than a couple of pumps?
if so you have an air leak. when you stop a bubble forms and you get an air lock in the fuel line, once that air has been pushed through it will run fine.

air in the lines will stuff the fuel pump so get it fixed. fitting a clear bit of fuel line after the filter and also on the injector return line will show if there is any air bubbles.

sounds like mine, but does it more when its cold and parked facing uphill.
primer pump has been replaced twice now, there a known fault for causing the air leak.

So is this an easy fix or should i take it into the shop for this one, also is the primer pump the sort of cylinder looking thing in the back right (looking front on) of the engine bay. Cheers

Matty

yeah its on top of the fuel filter. it got a little plunger you pump up and down.

hey guys to fix this problem do i need to replace the primer pump ?, and can it be brought from auto bard, super cheap. or do you have to get it from nissan. Cheers

Matty

first you need to check that it is an air leak.
by the sounds of it your not very handy with vechiles. proberly better off taking it to a mechanic and watch what he does.

Hi all.
I'm not a mechanic, or even an avid off roader, just someone who has a Navara. (Although I've been a toolmaker and not incapable mechanically, or unable to learn - just never learnt so far =o)

Just joined as my 2005 Navara has had a problem even the garage can't figure out, and this forum seems to be pretty comprehensive when it comes to problems and advice.
I also thought it best post to this thread and not start a new one as my problem is one of the engine dying after starting up, but it only does it when cold.

It got ran dry over a year ago and in the service it got following, had a fuel flush and new fuel filter. Since then it has run perfectly apart from the odd start from cold (not regular or predictable) when it dies after running for 10secs. It takes 10 - 20 secs of turning over to get it going again and when warm doesn't miss a beat, even restarting once warm.
The garage had it today to check the sensors and it even happened to them and they can't figure it out.

Can anybody help?

Am I even in the right thread?!? =o)

As far as I know.
The warning light doesn't stay on when starting the first time, or come back on when it dies.
Unless there's a more thorough way of checking. I also kinda assume that the garage would have checked that in the service... tho i could be wrong =o)

Check the coolent temp sensor as the glow plug timer gets the glow time reading off the coolent temp.

Dave.

YD25DDTI engine ?

Download the service manual in the D22 section.

It will help you big time, I am not familia with the non CRD YD25.

Dave.

Well I initially thought it might be injector problems, and although I'm not sure the mechanic still checked it - he did say (once I suggested it) that it would only get worse and even happen on the move.
Now a damaged fuel pump would surely get worse as well, and although the car may not get used everyday, it's done may thousand miles since being run dry... and only intermittently has problems.

As for the sensor... I've looked through the manual I've downloaded and it seems that unless I'm prepared to run temperature checks with a multimeter on the specific sensor, it needs to be "plugged in" from a terminal in the engine, hooked to a pc running a diagnostic program... I assume the same one they ran on it when I agreed a sensor check was a good idea (from the same mechanic that wasn't convinced it was injectors)...

But since there are so many things that can go wrong it's proving hard to diagnose something that doesn't make it come grinding to a halt... as the garage boss himself said "It'd be easier if it stopped working altogether coz we'd find it then... but then you haven't got a car"

Days were easier when it was
Tank - carbs - block - exhaust - fun

Latest posts

Back