2002 3 litre diesel Navara starting problem .

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ianoz

Reaction score
Ok , bit of background info . Bought it 12 months ago . Guy said it had a few little problems like it would just shut down as you drove along , but turn it off then it would restart . Did it to me a couple of times . So searched the forums and found pedal getting out of sync with computer , so start and idle for 10 minutes to reset . Next was Engine management light would come on . He said each time it did it he would take it to local servo to scan it . but no faults would show in the scan .
I found sometimes it will wind over very slow and not want to fire up . Next start attempt it would wind over at normal speed and fire up after about 10 seconds of cranking . and Engine management light would then come on . So i drive 30 ks each way to work .So after 3 starts the Engine management light would go out ..
So going to work one morning 3ks from home saw temp gauge was up . So put about 4 litres in radiator , turned back home and took old ute to work . Found leak was heater core ,
Two weeks later .Got round to fitting caps to heater pipes. So go to fire it up and winds over for ages does not want to fire . Tried next weekend After reading up .Cleaned a few earth spots . Tried pumping primer on filter and it feels firm . Put jumper leads on and finally got it to fire up . When it is cranking the tacho needle bounces up and down . When it starts it idles about 800 rpm after about 10 seconds it will go up to 1000 rpm then back to 800 . So take it for a run and goes great.But engine management light on all the time .Took it to work a week ago as guy i work with has a scanner . Plugged it in . No faults show .
Now , interestingly . I can get it started Reverse up the sloping driveway shut it off , then clutch start it and it will fire straight up .
Any help getting to the bottom of this Problem Greatly appreciated .

Probably your starter motor. Mine was often cranking for quite a while before it would start sometimes throwing a crank angle sensor fault. Once started ran fine.
The tacho needle bounced up and down while cranking, which stopped after I replaced the starter motor. As it started failing it caused interference that threw the fault codes.

I found the problem searching through this forum a few years ago

Bought a replacement starter motor for 2005 3.0 l online for less than $150 not so long ago from people that sold all sorts of starter motors. So just keep searching until u find a business u can trust. Goes great BTW.

Any advise on getting the starter motor out ?
Got bottom bolt out Struggled to get the top one out .My son turned up Got the top one out for me . But said it does not want to go out the bottom and out the top has steering shaft in the way . Any hints on getting it out ?

I had to remove that side engine mount and Jack motor up. Be careful not to damage oil sender unit.

Hey @ianoz did a new starter sort her out? My ute is having similar issues atm. Long crank before starting and throwing out 0407, 0301 and 0703. Fitted a new earth cable straight from negative to motor yesterday and that helped abit but still throwing out codes and cranking longer then it should.

Hey @ianoz did a new starter sort her out? My ute is having similar issues atm. Long crank before starting and throwing out 0407, 0301 and 0703. Fitted a new earth cable straight from negative to motor yesterday and that helped abit but still throwing out codes and cranking longer then it should.
Tacho jumping around as you crank?

Tacho jumping around as you crank?
Sure is mate. I rolled it down a hill the other day to test her and she push starts fine. I have cleaned and replaced all the earths, replaced the battery terminals and changed the fuel filter (primer getting hard after 2 squuezes). Thinking it could be the starter? Really hoping its not my fuel pump haha

Yeah sounds like the starter, or at least very close to my symptoms. The fact that I was getting a crank angle fault, but it ran fine once started proved it was not the sensor. I had never realised the tacho was stationary while cranking until I replaced the starter.

I bought a new one from repco using my stepsons RAC card to get 20% off rather than trying to buy one off eBay. I figured if it shits itself on me under warranty there are plenty of stores around to get a replacement
And to get it out I took the front wheel off for access. Much easier, but still like one of those ring puzzles to manoeuvre it out and in

Latest posts

Back