D40 Stereo Install

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonM

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im looking at doing an install of a complete stereo system, will be doing it in stages.
What i want to know is, has any1 fitted subs in a duel cab stx. I know there isnt much room behind the rear seats so wondered if any1 has put them in a custom box under the rear seats. If so what box design and how did they sound. I am going to eventually be putting in shallow 12" rockford subs.
Any advice wud be awesome Cheers

Dunno about the D40 but there is a few subs in the D22 section which might help you out. Otherwise the install should be a breeze, there was talk of some of the older model D40's having a cross brace in the way of the radio antenna lead but that's easily over come and I don't know if he later models have changed. You may also need to by a wiring harness but they are available for the likes of SCA if you do need one.

Krafty,
Yeh there is a bit more room behind the seats in a D22, the D40 have the fold up seat in the back so there isn't much room under them. I had a look on google images from the US and looks like alot of ppl have just designed shallow boxes to suit shallow mount subs. If the box is ported i shud be able to get a smaller volume box instead of a larger sealed box.
I already have a deck and leads run thru the car, and as i have done plenty of installs b4 the sub box will be the difficult part. The rest is easy.

If any1 has any ideas im open to ur opinions on how to mount the subs, i have seen pics of subs customed into the door skins as they are quite deep, but i think thats a bit to much like show car stuff for an everyday driver and basher haha.

I was sure there was install pics of subs under the seat in the D22 section and the under seat space is very similar between utes. Also if the yanks can have under seat storage containers then shallow subs will fit under there.

Yeh that was my thinking hey haha, well now i just need to purchase the subs and get cracking on a design i like :)

two 8" subs will give the same sort of power as a 12" (more than enough unless you like doof doof :D) and will fit far easier.

I haven't built my box yet, but having done the measurements I can fit a ported box with 1x8" on one side of the trans tunnel, and the amp will fit on the back wall behind the 60% seat The space under the 40% seat is about good for the ARB air compressor, though I haven't test fitted that yet to make sure... so I can't tell you about a sub box on that side :D

Krafty,
Yeh there is a bit more room behind the seats in a D22, the D40 have the fold up seat in the back so there isn't much room under them. I had a look on google images from the US and looks like alot of ppl have just designed shallow boxes to suit shallow mount subs. If the box is ported i shud be able to get a smaller volume box instead of a larger sealed box.
I already have a deck and leads run thru the car, and as i have done plenty of installs b4 the sub box will be the difficult part. The rest is easy.

If any1 has any ideas im open to ur opinions on how to mount the subs, i have seen pics of subs customed into the door skins as they are quite deep, but i think thats a bit to much like show car stuff for an everyday driver and basher haha.

Hi Simon, I think you will find that ported boxes generaly need to be larger than sealed boxes to get the best sound/performance from the sub, in my experience shallow mount subs are designed to be run in small sealed enclosures :)

Hey,

I put a Clarion Single Din DVD Headunit (VZ709A) in place of the stock headunit, I replaced the front door 6x9's with Option Audio 6" splits, ripped out the existing tweeters and flush mounted the new tweeters.
I put a Clarion 4-Channel amp under the passanger seat, not alot to fix to under there so we just cable tied it to the carpet.
I dont know alot about subs, but I built a box to go under the back drivers side seat and put a Pioneer 12" shallow sub in. After some tweaking of the headunit and amp settings, it sounds pretty good. I listen to Metal and Rock music and it does the trick for me!

Attachments

• IMG_0654.JPG
    IMG_0654.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 2,093
  • IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 854
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 890
  • IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG