Convert manual to auto

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brmi

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Probably a silly question but I dont really know a lot about cars. Is it possible to convert a 2009 d22 from manual to auto?

Cheers, Brad.

Anything is possible but the expense and the amount of effort would almost make it unfeasable. The 09 D22 was only ever released as a manual and the effort to retrofit an earlier model slushbox is not something that would be worth considering unless it was an absolute necessity.

Easiest way to go about it would be to buy a new car Not ao option you really want ot do though im guessing

Assuming you're not doing it yourself, you're looking at about 4-8hrs labor to remove the manual box, another 4-8 hours labor to put the auto in, you'll have to remove the clutch and put in a torque converter as well so lets go 8 hrs each way (approx $1200-$1600 labor), you'll need a new auto gearbox plus ecu, say $5k? perhaps? There will be some wiring changes to make, say 4-8 hours including researching what those changes will need to be (and that might be conservative). There's another $500-$1k plus. Also interior work to remove the manual centre console and put in the auto centre console - might be another $1k depending on what it will cost to purchase the console (it's still a pretty new car after all).

Some pretty scratchy figures there, but it wouldn't take much to get it to $5k or more. I know a bloke who had to replace the auto in his F250 - just out of warranty, and it cost him $11k just for the box alone. As Aido said, you wouldn't want to put an older auto in a ute that new.

Trading in would be a cheaper option.

I looked into if it was possible to go to an auto in my ZD30 D22 and concluded that you could probably do it with something like the RE505A 5 speed from a D40/R51 but the cost to do it would be pretty huge. It is a pity, I reckon as a tow car (Which was what I mainly did with mine) a five speed slusher would have improved it no end. No juggling act to see if it was going to move off or smoke the clutch first when getting rolling uphill, just stick it in desperate and lean on the pedal until it moved. With a torque converter they would have been on boost before moving off.

Latest posts

Back