Woody's Tub fitout

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodyD40

Reaction score
I've been asked by a member to take some photo's and throw them up - so instead of just sending them to the member, i thought i'd throw the piccys up on a thread so folks can see what i've done (errr, overdone ...)

As an overview. I have a 2nd battery above the back drivers wheel and right at the tailgate i've located the Waeco 50 beer fridge. I have a large 1.4m deep drawer in the middle, and room on the left hand side for upto 4 jerry cans (could be water or fuel plastic 20l jerry cans).

The main construcion is out of 12mm plywood, including the drawer. everything is glued and screwed. The false floor over the top of everything is 17mm ply.

It all weighs TOO much, and given a 2nd chance at doing it i would probably use 9mm ply for the carcass and only 12mm for the floor.

Over the top of everything i used about a million staples to secure marine grade black carpet purchased from clark rubber. And just recently i've glued the sides on the tub beside where the jerry cans go.

P2100159.jpg

P2100150.jpg

P2100151.jpg

P2100152.jpg

switchs (inside the canopy) for the rear mounted lights

P2100158.jpg

the rear mounted lights, and rear view of the roof top tent

P2100160.jpg

Current configuration of WOODY with roof top tent, all the driving lights facing forward (2 in front, 2 up top), hard to tell but there is an awning on the passenger side

P2100161.jpg

Nice job, how did you make the drawer slide setup?
As a sparky I'd advise you insulate some of those connections, crimp lugs like those have a habit of falling off and will short in an instant.

Rich

DRAWER
I bought proper heavy duty slides from HAFELE, extends out approx 900mm.

CRIMP Fittings
I understand and appreciate your advise about the crimp fittings. I have a proper crimping tool and since i've been using it, i have not had a fitting come loose yet.

I had lots of trouble back when i used pliers and side cutters ... i've experienced smoldering wires in previous cars - and the smell was aweful, let alone the dangerous risk of FIRE !!!!

Rich ... when i get a chance, i'll get some heat shrink over the exposed parts of those crimp fittings ... that will certainly reduce risks in the back of a 4wd. (especially with the amount of off-road driving i'm doing)

Nice job Woody, looks really neat.

I also bought one of the expensive crimping tools. I used to use the flat one that came with the $14.95 set of cable connectors but the bloody things kept failing on me, so I bought a professional one.

Have hauled the van for about 20,000km since I did that and not a single thing has worked its way loose. Sealed or unsealed, several water crossings, forest trails, bumpy access roads, cattle grids by the score and enough corrugations to see almost EVERY door inside the van fly open and not ONE join has come loose.

I'll never, ever use one of those cheap crappy crimpers ever again. The professional one gives a solid clamp to the wire, and also looks and feels solid when it's done.

Nice set up Woody, I especially like the roof tent and awing set up the guy who helped you do that must be some kid of legend :ha:

That's also the cleanest I've ever seen the back of your ute too.

The crappy crimping pliers in those sets are as useless as the fact that they only give you 5 of each crimp, if you're lucky!
The ones on the handle side of the pivot on pliers are only for un-insulated crimps, they just destroy the insulated type crimps.
Another handy hint for crimp connections (especially handy for connections under bonnet/under car etc). Put a blob of hot glue gun glue on the connection and let int cool before putting heatshrink over, slide into position and heat, result is waterproof heat shrink sealed joint.
Can't remember where I learned that one, might even have been this forum!

Looks great Woody, and thanks for the photos, is the fridge on a slider? if no how come?
Also has the loss of the full ute been an issue.
Thanks Ybo

Nice setup woody. As for the crimping, im a sparky and i use my pliers for the job and never had a problem, and as for destroying the insulated crimps, use chanellock pliers, allot better quality. Lil pricey though

Nice set up Woody and I'm betting a lot cheaper than what I went for too. I only went for the ORS setup because I simply didn't have enough time between the GU dying and buying the D40 and setting off on a 10 week trip.

Attachments

• Evakool.jpg
    Evakool.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 128
  • ORS2.jpg
    ORS2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 157
  • aux_batteries_below.jpg
    aux_batteries_below.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 115
Looks great Woody, and thanks for the photos, is the fridge on a slider? if no how come?
Also has the loss of the full ute been an issue.
Thanks Ybo

Nope, no slider for the fridge. I made the space slightly too narrow to easily get the fridge in and out. I dont even have the fridge tied down at all. I figure, if you have enough BEER (or JIM BEAN) in it, it wont move around. I havnt lost a drink yet in more than 12 months (except when scottybobcat got into the fridge once)

Also, its fun watching the MRS climb up on the tail gate to reach inside the fridge ... (oops, dont tell her i said that ...)

oh, i missed your 2nd question, about loss of ute space.

Yup. you do loose the height between the new false floor and the canopy. So you cant put no where as much stuff in the back (i mean as in large items) that you would if you didnt have a drawer system. I guess its a compromise. I didnt buy the ute with the idea of helping people move house or furniture or stuff like that. I bought it and did the fitout with the intention of having all my recovery gear OUT OF SIGHT, and to keep a basic supply of camping pots/pans/cups/plates etc so i can nick off at short notice with the family without needing to pack all that crap in every time i wanted to do a day trip.

Thats why i keep lots of cans of coke in the fridge, only a couple of beers and/or Jim Beams, and i keep bottles of water in their too and some chocolate bars for sugar hits.

The Navara is set up so all we need to do is throw some sandwich's in the car and a packet of chips or two, and off we go.

If i get a chance to plan a trip a bit better, then the chain saw and a few more things go in the back as well.

That's the impression I try to give, if people think you can't be trusted they never ask for favours :eviltongue:

Ha ha ha ha -thanks for the info, Have you or anyone got any idea of the cost of the ready made draw systems? and also the second battery set ups -whats the best or easiest to install. I've looked at a couple just not sure which way to go. ie where to mount the battery etc. I know it has to go in the rear but wheres the best place?
thanks Ybo

Latest posts

Back