Column to floor conversion

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugget91

Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering what shifters are compatible with my 1990 d21 nugget? Wanting to go from 4 on the column to 5 on the floor cheers

You will obviosly have to get a 5 speed gear box.You will have to cut a hole in the hump in the floor(I dont know if the humps bolt in or part of the floor).Disconect the linkages from the colum to the gear box and knock the pin out of your colum for your shift or replace the colum with a standard(non colom shift colum)You will need to work out your clutch cable or slave cylinder.You may also need to change your tailshaft as it may be a differnt length.
Dion should be able to give you more info on this as he is the D21 guro.

Oh yer I'll try find him. Apparently it's got the box setup underneath the floor all i need to do is bolt the shifter in according to my grandfather. He's had the ute for near on 15 years so yer just wondering if thaw tru

Dion will turn up here soon enough. I would guess that it really is only the linkages and gearstick you need to muck around with, and the stick should come with any five speed box you buy. My manual (from the states) doesn;t say there is a different gearbox for column shift versus floor shift, nor for four vs five speed (same box, different internals obviously), so I reckon clutch slave and tailshaft will be alright.

Measure up the length of your gearbox from bell housing to end of the transfer case and I'll compare it to mine if you like - I've got a five speed floor shift.

I've got both a D21 Navara and Terrano, one manual one auto, and in both cases, the hole in the floorpan for the gear stick/t-bar is identical, with different plates bolting in as required, so I reckon you'll be right there too.

Might be able to help out with steering column bits too if you want. As long as its not a rush job :)

A lot of work to get an overdrive gear. You could just stick to 90 on the highway instead.
What's the condition of the box?

I've been talking to Nugget91 via visitor messages.

To go from a four speed to a five speed you need to swap the whole box. An FS5W71C is a different beast to a RS4W-whatever they are.

I'm waiting to hear whether the OP's ute is 4x4 or 4x2. Also a location as I can help with the parts if it's close.

Yeh she's a 4x2 nugget and it's not a rush job just somethig I wanna do eventually. And I live in rocky if that's any help

Hadn't realised they used a different gearbox for column shift and floor shift!

I'm in Prossy Nugget, and I've got a 92 Terrano I'm pulling apart if that;s any help. Steering column bits etc.

Yeh I'm just tryin to work out that I will definitely need a new gearbOx cause my granddad said I shud just be able to take the floor mat out and bolt it straight in. Dunno how tru that is so yeh

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back