mounting a recovery shackel to an arb rear step

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicholaselias

Reaction score
i have purchased a recovery shackel that connects into your tow ball slot. although i have an arb rear step. how do i mount the shackel? i have purchased the arb mount as well although the shackel does not fit on it, as the shackel's pin is too wide, therefore making me choose no other option but to down side the shackel, however i do not want to do this. can any1 help me?

Long time no see!

Are you talking about one of these:
127126.jpg

and if you are, you really do need to use it in a properly-rated towball slot. Using it on a rear step will just tear the step away from the vehicle, unless it's super-heavy-duty bolted to the chassis (like a towbar would be).

You'd need to go for a 50mm hitch rated at 3T as well, because that's going to put all of the weight of your vehicle on it - or the vehicle you're pulling - plus whatever force is required to unstick the vehicle. I'm a little concerned about my own rig, doing a rearward recovery, because my hitch is 3T, my vehicle weighs up around 2.5T and if there's 600Kg of "stick" in the mud, I'm exceeding the rating of the hitch.

That said, momentary forces that are only marginally above the rating are acceptable.

Long time no see!

You'd need to go for a 50mm hitch rated at 3T as well, because that's going to put all of the weight of your vehicle on it - or the vehicle you're pulling - plus whatever force is required to unstick the vehicle. I'm a little concerned about my own rig, doing a rearward recovery, because my hitch is 3T, my vehicle weighs up around 2.5T and if there's 600Kg of "stick" in the mud, I'm exceeding the rating of the hitch.

That said, momentary forces that are only marginally above the rating are acceptable.

I'd suspect that while you may be exceeding the rated capacity of the hitch you'd still be below its fail point - rated capacity tends to be about 60% (or there abouts) of its tested fail point. BUT I know nothing, am an expert in nothing etc etc :big_smile:

yeah old tony iv been organising money (working my ass off) so i can get the navara done. and yeah its the arb rear step tony. their bolted to the chassis. and yes that picture is what i need. but they are all too short. i think i need to get one custom made??

They should fit into any hitch receiver capable of taking a towball mount like this one:

master:MLC022.jpg

Extending them will weaken them. Not every recovery is in a straight line, and a sideways movement would cause off-axis forces to possibly bend an extended one.

Can you take a pic of what you've got there?

I hear ya about working, been pulling a few long hours as well.

me long hours..... sometimes its day and night work. i was thinkin about taking my towball off and adding the shackel alothough... i went back to the boys at TJM parra and they suggested drilling another hole not in the towball slot. this will not weaken the towbar, and i will not have to modify the actual recovery point. and by the way my recovery point is rated at 5000t is this normal? because arb's is only rated to 4000t and some others even less!, but yes i will try to take a photo for u old tony. and i will take one when its on as well.

Is yours like this?
3638030.jpg

I wouldn't go drilling holes without considering what that will do to the product's warranty, or the responsibility accepted by the manufacturer in the case of an incident.

The ARB rear step pictured above should have no difficulty taking the hitch receiver block.

I have one of these blocks, maybe we need to go for a drive and try it out!

thats very true. thats why im getting tjm to do it because then if anything does happen i can say that they were the ones who suggested drilling the holes. and if anything does happen again i can also say its their fault because they were the ones who actually drilled the holes. theirfore their liable if something happens. And yes this is the step i have and it does have trouble taking it because the hole is too far back so the block sits further back in the towball slot, and the shackel does not fit on. and yes we do need to go for a drive to test the shackel out.

So, how busy are you today?

Doesn't matter if you don't have the thing yet, I've got a shackle in my recovery bag. We can try it before you buy or modify.

I'm ready to go, how about Camden or some place down around Liverpool or something?

In the menu at the top choose "Quicklinks" and one of the options in that menu is "private messages"

In the private messages screen you can choose the person you want to send a message too, type the first 3 letters and it will give you a list of users to choose from with those 3 letters, select the name, then type your message below and send message.

^^either that or you can just click his username next to his display picture (avatar) and select private message...

Was good to meet up with you again Nick and Anthony!

The private message bit had been worked out already, I should have posted something here I guess.

Having seen the problem now, I'm a little stunned.

ARB rear step bar with 50mm hitch receiver and ARB hitch receiver shackle block. They don't fit together, because the hole for the retaining pin in the receiver is too far from the face, so the shackle can't be attached.

QC was missing there, it seems.

Drilling the extra hole - moving the retaining pin closer to the rear - is the only solution.

What I would do though, is NOT tow with that towball mount you had today unless you use the retaining pin in the hole you have now. If you use the new hole, there'll be too much of a lever extending off the back of your car.

not using it until i get it sorted by tjm. and yeah it was heaps good seeing you again, definently have to do more of it

arb

ARB rear steps might be all the same my previous hilux had a ARB rear step and the tow hitch was longer than the other hitches i had laying around

take it back to arb and ask them to fix it, after all its there stuf. If it f's up after tjm drill it they will just say it was done as per your request.

Latest posts

Back