New Rims Hitting Break Calipers please help!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navaraqueen

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I have a Nissan Navara D40 2006. I just purchased new rims and tires and mounted them on the back of the Navara, they look great! However when trying to mount the front they are hitting the break calipers! I really had no idea this was a problem with these cars. I thought the 0 offset would be good but looks like it's the design of the rim and has nothing to do with offset.

I ordered these rims:

16x8 6X114.3 ET0
https://www.ladnefelgi.pl/product-e...-Klasa-X-NISSAN-Navara-Pathfinder-RB1341.html
The guys at this online shop insured me they would fit the Navara which they don't . Tires are already sticking out about 1 inch which is what I wanted but. Putting wheel spacers seems like the only option here. If I put 1.5" spacers my tires will stick out even more which I think will look ridiculous. I think but I'm not sure that maybe just a 20mm spacer will work but then again the stock studs will stick out and I won't be able to mount the rim again. I guess I would need to cut off the studs then?

Please help guys, I'm already almost 1700 euros deep in these rims and tires and I don't know what to do?

I attached some pics, sorry yard is a little messy didn't think I would be posting here.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 7.10.47 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 7.10.47 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 7.20.32 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 7.20.32 AM.png
    974.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 7.19.40 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-04 at 7.19.40 AM.png
    592.9 KB · Views: 0
Spacers (illegal in NSW, and probably in other parts of Australia) might be legal where you are so they'd be a good first option.

Yours looks to be a Thai build, the VIN starts with MNT ? Thai cars had different offsets to the Spanish (VSK) models. This also affected the disc brake choice (height of disc to stud base was shorter by about 20mm in the Spanish models).

Spacers (illegal in NSW, and probably in other parts of Australia) might be legal where you are so they'd be a good first option.

Yours looks to be a Thai build, the VIN starts with MNT ? Thai cars had different offsets to the Spanish (VSK) models. This also affected the disc brake choice (height of disc to stud base was shorter by about 20mm in the Spanish models).
Yes I have the Thai build, VIN starts with MNT. I am also guessing that we might need about 20mm spacer. But to measure I found online you can stack washers onto the studs to try to figure out how much distance you need.

Spacers are legal here but you need to have fender flares (tires aren't allow to stick out) which we'll have to also install after we figure this out.

The wheels place where I purchased the rims from told me to grind down the break caliper, that they have done this on Porsches as well. I don't really want to go down that route to be honest. I think installing a spacer would be safer to do so.

Do you know anyone thats running 0 offset plus spacers? Is it too much distance outwards for this vehicle?

I don't know anyone using spacers, they're illegal here. 20mm is close, too - the Spanish D40's front disc is 38mm back from the stud face and the Thai D40's is 53mm - that's a difference of 15mm.

Grinding the brake caliper is a great idea if you don't think you'll ever need to stop!

The wheels place where I purchased the rims from told me to grind down the break caliper, that they have done this on Porsches as well.

:wtf:
Surprised they didn't couple that with, hack out the back of the rims where there calliper is hitting.. :thumpdown:

If they will not exchange out the wheels for a suitable offset that works ( I think this would be my first option - and I would push hard for it)
I think you need to work out how much you need for clearance. The minimum sized spacer to get clearance would be the safest option

Surprised they didn't couple that with, hack out the back of the rims where there calliper is hitting.. :thumpdown:

If they will not exchange out the wheels for a suitable offset that works ( I think this would be my first option - and I would push hard for it)
I think you need to work out how much you need for clearance. The minimum sized spacer to get clearance would be the safest option
On this forum or another one can't remember, someone had the same issue and the tire place gave him the same advice! Looks like it's something that's done frequently but it's not a route I am willing to take! My plan is to put minimum spacer as well, I think 20 mm will do the trick because I can almost mount the rim I don't think it needs a 1.5" or something like that. Hopefully this week or next week I'll get some help to jack up the car and see what sized spacer I need. Then I think it's better to put longer studs vs doing the bolt on spacer and cutting off the studs that stick out. I think that's a better option for me, but I'll see in the end. I can post pics when I'm done.
Then next I need to install mud guards/fender flares, do alignment, and fix some other things on the truck. Currently it's not registered, have been working on it slowly for almost a year now! :/ But I think it will look amazing! :)

Also wanted to mention it's not really the offset that is the problem. It's the way the rim is designed (I checked the original rims have spokes going more outwards and have a hollow area on the other side which allows caliper clearance). I have done hours of research and others have also said it doesn't have much to do with the offset just the way the rim is designed. The rim shop I purchased them from in Poland will not exchange or give refund since I already mounted the tires. Lesson learned for next time, don't mount tires until you have tested out if the rim will fit! At the moment I'll have to work with what I have I am pretty sure I can make it work.

Yes I have the Thai build, VIN starts with MNT. I am also guessing that we might need about 20mm spacer. But to measure I found online you can stack washers onto the studs to try to figure out how much distance you need.

Spacers are legal here but you need to have fender flares (tires aren't allow to stick out) which we'll have to also install after we figure this out.

The wheels place where I purchased the rims from told me to grind down the break caliper, that they have done this on Porsches as well. I don't really want to go down that route to be honest. I think installing a spacer would be safer to do so.

Do you know anyone thats running 0 offset plus spacers? Is it too much distance outwards for this vehicle?
Take them back as they do not FIT

They said I can't ship them back as I have already installed tires on them... if the spacers don't work I will put more pressure on them to provide me with some kind of refund or solution.
Don't belive that for one minute. They ether take them back and provide the correct ones...or take them to court inc the time they made you waste fitting tyres ect... how could you know they didn't fit till you went to install them..small claims court if possible... bet the sort them out before going to court ..

Don't belive that for one minute. They ether take them back and provide the correct ones...or take them to court inc the time they made you waste fitting tyres ect... how could you know they didn't fit till you went to install them..small claims court if possible... bet the sort them out before going to court ..
Thank you for the advice, I have looked it up and we have a small claims court procedure in the European Union. We are still going to try and see if it will work with the spacers because we really like the rims but if it doesn't I will definitely file a form for the small claims court. I have sent them an email that it is not professional that we have to waste another 200-300 EUR possibly on spacers, longer studs, installment, plus time trying to make them fit. If anyone else in Europe sees this, please watch out for LADNE FELGI Felgi aluminiowe, alufelgi - wszystkie rozmiary felg i opon - LadneFelgi.pl in Poland. The rims they claim fits the Navara does not fit.

Return the tyres and rims, don’t use spacers just causes more problems, and for a tyre place to suggest to grind the callipers, run away.
Thank you for the feedback. Rims and tyres were purchased from separate stores online so they are saying we can't return it because we already mounted tyres on them. I live in a small place in Europe we don't have any shops like this so everything has to be ordered online out of the country. Honestly it sucks because we originally didn't want to have to put on spacers, that is why we ordered 0 offset rims. I emailed them and they just won't respond anymore.

There is small claims court in Europe but to be honest I think I'm just digging myself a bigger hole in expenses and who knows if I will even be able to get my money back.

The rims look really good but now we need to spend extra money to make them fit, which is not what we planned.

We just tried the rim again and put on washers on the studs to measure what size spacer we need. It would fit with 15mm spacer but I'm thinking maybe better to put 17mm just in case for extra room.

Does anyone know anything about putting longer studs on the Navara D40? What kind of studs do I need to purchase? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Also is it OKAY to put 17mm spacer on the front of the car only? Do you think it will look weird, and most importantly is it safe or should I put spacers in the back too?

I know most of you aren't a fan of spacers but as you can see I don't really have a choice here! This car will be driven 15 minute drives from my house to town, and maybe the occasional 2 hour trip every few months. I don't plan on doing any extreme off-roading just some dirt paths a few times a year close to home.

Also is it OKAY to put 17mm spacer on the front of the car only? Do you think it will look weird, and most importantly is it safe or should I put spacers in the back too?

I know most of you aren't a fan of spacers but as you can see I don't really have a choice here! This car will be driven 15 minute drives from my house to town, and maybe the occasional 2 hour trip every few months. I don't plan on doing any extreme off-roading just some dirt paths a few times a year close to home.

In Australia we aren't fans of spacers because they're illegal and more than one person has had their insurance voided because they found spacers on the vehicle.

If spacers are legal there, use them. If the centre of the rim hasn't moved outward from the centreline of the vehicle, you're not creating additional stresses on the steering and suspension so you're not causing yourself a problem with increased wear or more steering effort.

Should you place them on the back too? Sure, for the same reason!

Just put on a set of 4 hub centric spacers.20 or 25mm. Not too expensive, fully safe and legal unless you live in Australia.

Attachments

• large-e399d680e2ea43c1b5e269a1baa91e97.jpg
    large-e399d680e2ea43c1b5e269a1baa91e97.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 0
Just put on a set of 4 hub centric spacers.20 or 25mm. Not too expensive, fully safe and legal unless you live in Australia.
I'm looking to put on a set on 20mm spacers all around and looking to purchase longer wheel studs. This seems like a safer option to me because I won't have to saw off the existing wheel studs to fit something like that in the photo you posted.

The thing is, the rims are flat on the back surface, so I would have to literally saw off the old studs to make them sit flush with a spacer like the one you posted.

I am planning on purchasing these from Germany:

https://spurverbreiterung.de/en/pro...heel-spacers-20mm------6x114-3---66-1-en.html
I also think its safer to have just one set of studs to check, other than a whole other set underneath that I would have to recheck the torque. e.t.c. Those are my thoughts but I'm no expert. If anyone has other opinion let me know. :)

I'm looking to put on a set on 20mm spacers all around and looking to purchase longer wheel studs. This seems like a safer option to me because I won't have to saw off the existing wheel studs to fit something like that in the photo you posted.

The thing is, the rims are flat on the back surface, so I would have to literally saw off the old studs to make them sit flush with a spacer like the one you posted.

I am planning on purchasing these from Germany:

https://spurverbreiterung.de/en/pro...heel-spacers-20mm------6x114-3---66-1-en.html
I also think its safer to have just one set of studs to check, other than a whole other set underneath that I would have to recheck the torque. e.t.c. Those are my thoughts but I'm no expert. If anyone has other opinion let me know. :)
If you look at the back of the wheel there is normally a slot or a pocket in between each stud hole which would mean no cutting studs. (There are on mine anyway)

You can do what you have suggested of course, but it sounds like extra work..

If you look at the back of the wheel there is normally a slot or a pocket in between each stud hole which would mean no cutting studs. (There are on mine anyway)

You can do what you have suggested of course, but it sounds like extra work..
Hi, it's not possible to do that because the mounting surface of the new rims is completely flat. There is no slot or pocket for the studs to tuck under the new rims. I'm currently trying to find out what size studs I need, if I'm unable to I will just order the new spacers and take the car to the shop and let them take off the studs and see what size and order new ones.

It's not that it's a lot of work, it's a lot of time wasted sourcing new parts. But I always tell myself that it will be worth it in the end because the car will look great. When I'm finally done I will be sure to post pics.. :)

I also wanted to mention that thank God for forums like these where people can help you out from the other side of the world! You guys are the best!

Hi, it's not possible to do that because the mounting surface of the new rims is completely flat. There is no slot or pocket for the studs to tuck under the new rims. I'm currently trying to find out what size studs I need, if I'm unable to I will just order the new spacers and take the car to the shop and let them take off the studs and see what size and order new ones.

It's not that it's a lot of work, it's a lot of time wasted sourcing new parts. But I always tell myself that it will be worth it in the end because the car will look great. When I'm finally done I will be sure to post pics.. :)

I also wanted to mention that thank God for forums like these where people can help you out from the other side of the world! You guys are the best!
Have a look at H&R TRAK + wheel spacers for your model . They are a company based in uk/europe. their kits come with everything you will need if they do your vehicle.

Latest posts

Back