Airbag warning light - 2010 STX

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ormsbinator

Reaction score
So I took the time to install a stereo correctly by stripping the carpet, dash and a heap of other breakable bits the other day. The amps, RCA's, ignition and battery cables are all wired correctly and the stereo works fine however my airbag warning light on the dash now lights up.

7 seconds after starting the engine it blinks every half second. The manual refers to this sequence as a fault (big help). I was extremely careful not to disconnect any airbag related plugs when I had the dash apart (besides the ones under the front seats) and I have since double checked this and yet the light still flashes.

Does anyone know what the deal could be? I have the ignition wire and rca leads running near the airbag control unit (under the centre console). Would the small amount of current running through these be causing the problem?

The car is due for it's 10,000km service soon so I am waiting til then to take it in but any suggestions as to why in the meantime would be great.

If you have disconnected the seat sensor plugs, and the ignition was turned on an open circuit fault would have been stored. Should be as simple as having the airbag fault cleared by NISSAN with the plug in diagnosis tool.

Regards

Greg

Yeah cheers. I figured the diagnostic tool / computer may be able to reset the warning.

Thanks.

So I took the time to install a stereo correctly by stripping the carpet, dash and a heap of other breakable bits the other day. The amps, RCA's, ignition and battery cables are all wired correctly and the stereo works fine however my airbag warning light on the dash now lights up.

7 seconds after starting the engine it blinks every half second. The manual refers to this sequence as a fault (big help). I was extremely careful not to disconnect any airbag related plugs when I had the dash apart (besides the ones under the front seats) and I have since double checked this and yet the light still flashes.

Does anyone know what the deal could be? I have the ignition wire set and rca leads running near the airbag control unit (under the centre console). Would the small amount of current running through these be causing the problem?

The car is due for it's 10,000km service soon so I am waiting til then to take it in but any suggestions as to why in the meantime would be great.

I was wondering if you did manage to clear this issue and what did you do to resolve it. My friend is having a similar situation like yours and we're wondering why it's doing that and how should it be fix. So did you let your Nissan dealer reset the warning? How much did it cost for them to do it?

Does anyone know what the deal could be? I have the ignition wire set and rca leads running near the airbag control unit (under the centre console). Would the small amount of current running through these be causing the problem?

Hey mate. I was kinda curious if you happen to resolve that fault or issue that you had encounter. Also, what kind of fault are you encountering, do you have the code for it? Hoping you could update me about your post. I just thought it might come in handy for me just in case I encounter this scenario.

Hi guys I have just tried what Maddogrc suggested in the d22 forum and it works do this:
his:

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

All hail Maddogrc many thanks

The above is word for word the procedure for a D40 ( from ClubFrontier ) so either a huge coincidence or they share the same firmware on the D40 and D22
So anyway it could be an idea to post that procedure as a Sticky for Airbag Light Reset

Hi guys I have just tried what Maddogrc suggested in the d22 forum and it works do this:
his:

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again.

All hail Maddogrc many thanks

He's a genius. The local Nissan dealer plugged their cable in and advised three sensors needed replaced... $900+taxes. Luckily I researched this first and maddogrs's idea worked. Does anyone know what the error state was caused by?

hi i have a 08 d40 i have just replaced my steering rack and now air bag light flashes and horn doesn't work, i have checked all fuses and i have also tried to above procedure but does not make a difference.. scan tool says open circuit in driver airbag but i can't erase the code...any suggestions?????

Steering rack or column? If the column was replaced the clock spring may be broken.this is the part that is underneath the steering wheel.its a copper like ring that the contacts a pin on the inside of the steering wheel.that ring sends the horn signal and airbag wire.

I'm having this same problem now too.

I have done the above procedure a couple of times and now when in diagnostic mode it seems to be flashing in a sequence. I'm assuming it's trying to give me a fault code.

Does anyone have and knowledge or experience of this? Anyone have a mechanics manual or know where to find out what the fault codes mean?

Thanks.

Oh yeah, it's a 2009 Spanish ST-X Dual Cab if that makes any difference.

Bob, there's a manual you can download which has the DTC (diagnostic) codes in the Engine Control section. If you can get it into diagnostic mode, count the flashes - they should be in groups of 4, and 10 flashes represents a 0. Post the code here.

Alternatively, a bluetooth OBD adapter and an Android-based smartphone with the Torque application will reveal the code without any fuss.

Yeah well it's not coming in groups of 4.

Hard to tell the order as the pauses seem to be similar between all of the groups of flashes. Seems to be seven flashes, then two, then one long one. Repeat.

This is the airbag light I'm talking about.

Thanks for your help.

The airbag light won't match up with the diagnostic codes for the ECU - that's the check engine light (CEL).

I don't play with airbags. Have heard too many horror stories about them being oversensitive - even with precautions!

I heard of one situation where steering wheel issues were caused by fraying wires further down the shaft - did you check those?

Nah, not really my area of expertise. It's going into Nissan tomorrow for the towbar recall and I'm just going to get them to put the computer on it and see what comes up.

The airbag light has been on for ages and I don't really care to be honest. I hate the things. I won't be spending thousands to repair them that's for sure. Maybe take out the bulb from the dashboard so the flashing stops distracting me?? Lol

Mines been flashing ever since I pulled the steering wheel apart to fit some sterio controls...two screwdrivers in the side and pull the middle is pretty hard...the thing shot off like a rocket and ripped the plug on the back of the airbag...soldered back up fine but the little man with the medicine ball won't go away...elect tape is probably a good idea.

Latest posts

Back