Exhaust for TD27T

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundy Yum

Reaction score
hay all hope this is not a repeat thread but i am swaping my td27 for a td27t and was woundering what size exhaust a should put on to get the most out of it and is it worth putin on extractors any help muchly appreciated thanks

Size? Don't know, but if its a turbo, I don't believe that you'd put extractors on. That's only for non-turbo engines.

ok , nevr owned a turbo motor before so all help is good for a noob,, have extractors on the td27 just wasnt sure if i could use them

Last edited:
2.5", any bigger and the disadvantages of fitting the exhaust in the car outweigh the performance advantages, but a 3" if you're keen wouldn't go astray.

Also, to save money, if getting a custom one done, go from 2.5" mandrel to 3" regular, it will flow better. Mandrel bends only really worthwhile from 70 degree turns and sharper.

Oh, and yeah, extractors don't help or fit with a turbo at all.

The reason you can't use extractors is because the turbo is attached to the exhaust ports where the extractors would normally go.

Dion, I picked up an aftermarket dump pipe for a ZD30, and she bolts on to the TD27T turbo perfectly. Any idea if the factory ZD30 exhaust from a D22 would fit under the D21 floorpan, and if it would be any good anyway? I believe they're 2.5" from factory, aren't they?

Dion, I picked up an aftermarket dump pipe for a ZD30, and she bolts on to the TD27T turbo perfectly. Any idea if the factory ZD30 exhaust from a D22 would fit under the D21 floorpan, and if it would be any good anyway? I believe they're 2.5" from factory, aren't they?

Hey that's cool... No reason why it wouldn't fit that I'm aware of, you'd want to lose that cat convertor though. Great piece of info!

Hey,

Im going to re post a bit of what has already been said, but im going to add some stuff in.

Typically when your referring to extractors you are referring to the a NA engine.
With a turbo engine the 'extractors' are replaced with a turbo manafold. This goes from your engine block to turbo exhaust inlet. Typically the stock ones are cast iron, strong but can be restrictively small.
You can replace this with ones designed for better flow etc however its not worth it unless you are shooting for big power.

To improve the performance of your turbo motor you need to have a non restrictive exhaust. This can be archived in many ways.

Typically the older Nissan 4wd's exhaust is around 2.25inch with a mid/rear muffler. The obvious restriction here is the muffler. You can cut this out and replace it with a piece of straight pipe, giving you a 'free flowing' exhaust.

I did this with my old SD33 turbo diesel patrol and you could just notice the difference. Obviously being turbo diesel, its not putting out bulk power but it did decrease the spool time for the turbo so it was making boost at a slightly lower RPM.

With a free flowing exhaust comes noise.

If you keep the stock exhaust and convert it to a free flowing exhaust (easy and cheap) you will get that turbo diesel consistent 'whistle' at a noticeable level. With my old patrol you could hear it outside the cab, but when you got inside it allot harder to hear.

In most states there are rules and regs regarding exhaust's engines etc and all that. As far as i know, some states allow the older diesel cars to run without catalytic converters or even mufflers as long as they are under the max legal exhaust noise level.

Now if you want to extract the most power from your little turbo you will need a larger exhaust. Most people will recommend a 3inch system unless your hunting big numbers then you will need a new turbo and a 3.5/4inch system, but as its the little Nissan diesel i doubt you are doing this.

So if you have some free cash, go grab yourself a 3inch dump pipe and get an exhaust shop to make you up a nice 3' system (unless you can DIY, in that case i would recommend DIY). Most places wont make a dump pipe, so its easier to buy one online, then get the rest of the system made up.

with a 3inch you 'may' want a muffler, depending on what kind of person you are. The sd33's second exhaust was a 3inch free flowing one and it was loud enough for people around to hear you coming but not loud enough to be illegal. It was loud enough to annoy you on long drives if you had a headache, but otherwise could easily put up with it.

If you don't want to hear the exhaust in cabin, select a nice muffler with your 3inch system.

Ill post some links to you tube videos of my patrol with its various exhausts so you can hear it for yourself (when im not at work).

The next big thing for your turbo engine is air, the turbo will heatup the air and shoot it into your engine. The diesel wont care as much as a petrol for the hot air, but there is some more power to be had cooling down your intake temps.

This is done with an inter cooler. You have a few options here, all up to personal preference. You could get a small top mounted one (Recommended with a fan to stop heat soak) or smash one in front of the radiator for maximum airflow. Up to you.... we wont go into to much detail here....

~~~~Important~~~

when you change the exhaust and intake around it has the potential to moodily your boost levels. Generally more so on a petrol motor, but you need to make precautions.

Install a EGT and Boost Guage.

Boost will tell you how much boost your running, this is important to know because you dont want it running to much. The basic changes should not mofiy it, but if you install a boost controller and run a few more PSI you will want to know its not spiking or running to high.

It will proberly run around 7Psi as standard and will take 10 without a drama. If you want more like 15 or so you might need a larger turbo / engine mods.

EGT will tell you if the diesel is running to rich or to lean. To cold and there will be no power, to hot and you will melt something. This is controlled buy the diesel pump and how much diesel it is using. If your not familiar with this, get your diesel tuner to make sure its right.

Anyway, Good Luck with it.

Latest posts

Back