Anyone using Bilstein E653 (5100 height adjustable) shocks on an aussie D40?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crdtom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Helping a mate figure out some new suspension for his 2011 D40 King Cab 4wd.

Have found the Bilstein F4-BE5-E653-H0 aka E653 or "24-187053" under Bilstein's new part number conventions.

This is the one which has the height adjustable lower coil bucket.

Has anyone fitted these to the Australian D40 and are they compatible? What modifications are needed if any?

I see a few references to changing the bumpstops....bit concerning but then again not a major issue just a matter of compressing it and figuring out how much rubber to lay down on the bump stop striker.

I assume the leaf rear end of the D40 king cab is the same as the dual cab and also the same as the US Models - afterall, they're just leafs? Which means the Bilstein 5100 E689 should fit fine as well.

Thanks,
Tom

i have some for the front of my d40 single cab.

not in yet but will let you know how they go.

just have to decide what height to set them at?? i have HD iron man coils to go over them.

Have had these installed in my 07 stx with OME HD springs. Trial & error showed that the first perch over stock (1/2") to be were they worked best. Any higher & the bounce was excessive (too much preload). Have the usual camber issue but nothing too bad. Previously had the Bilstein HD struts & find these to have a slightly softer ride with basically the same handling. Also replaced rears with 5100 Bilsteins on OME leafs. Very happy with this setup. Make sure you check the US websites as even with freight these worked out cheaper.

how much lift did you get from the first perch?

Im using the same coils so should be about the same as you.

Are you running a bullbar or winch?

I ordered mine the other night from Summit in the US. Its a big saving compared to buying them locally.

Approx 1/2' over what I had. I have ARB sahara bar & no winch but do have bash plates underneath (check garage). Gave front end a nice pickup. Very tempting to go higher however bounce was annoying & not much room from coil bucket to UCA.

today i got heasman suspension to put my front suspension ( did not want to stuff around with it again). i had 20mm spacers on top and asked for them to be removed when the new suspension went in.

when i went to pick up the car the i was told it was too high and the control arm was hitting. i checked it out nd the spacer was still in. dopes.

i'll see how it looks tomorrow when they take it out. should still be a fair raise.

picked up the car yesterday and all good. it's as high as you could get it without the uca hitting, and that is only on the second lowest setting. don't go any higher with raised springs.

they tried to charge me for a bolt that snapped during the work. i later realized the bolt they repaired was on the spacer and that was meant to removed in the beginning. dodgy pricks.

i got a fair bit of lifti will take a measurment and and put up a photo soon.

as far as the ride goes it does seem a bit stiff, not terrible but a bit harsh on serious bumps. i got the ironman hd springs as zordo advised me they were just longer not stiffer than the light duty ironmans. i have the factory bumper, so no bull bar or winch but in theory these springs should just lift it a bit more. maybe having it up one setting (1/2 inch raised) has compressed the spring a little??....

i guess these adjusting these shocks up is like putting in coil spacers half inch at a time.

ok so centre of hub to top of guard is 630 but that includs 50mm body lift.

in the third shot you can see there is only about 15mm before the uca hits.

and for refrance the back has extended shackles and 40mm raised hd leafs. and it sits quite level now

fairly happy with the out come, but the ride is stiffer than i hoped.

Attachments

• P2070019.jpg
    P2070019.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 212
  • P2070020.jpg
    P2070020.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 192
  • P2070017.jpg
    P2070017.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 246
  • P2070021.jpg
    P2070021.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 199
  • P2070014.jpg
    P2070014.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
looking good mate.

Loving the stance it has now with the front levelled up.

My kit should be in soon as the shocks have arrived from the US.

Definately post up some pics.

Im running a similar setup to you, 2" BL and 2"OME kit. Hoping to clear 33's :yeahright:

Hi guys are you still happy with this set up,how's the ride now etc etc. I'm thinking bout using the 5100s and the stock coils to get bout 40 mill lift what are your thoughts

i got bilstien 5100 front shocks on the lowest spring clip setting with Dobinsons Springs 2inch springs and it leveled up good but the front is a bit harsh on the rebound and for the rear Dobinsons Springs 2inch springs comfort with a load leaf added and racho 9000 xl rear shocks it is better ride than stanarded for the rear.
has anyone got these bilstien 5100 shocks and got rid of that harsh rebound it is a bit to much i think it mite need a different front sping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi guys are you still happy with this set up,how's the ride now etc etc. I'm thinking bout using the 5100s and the stock coils to get bout 40 mill lift what are your thoughts

I was looking at the dobinson coils or kings coil if I went the 50 mill spring. I was reading on the frontier forum that there getting a pretty good ride with the stock coil,so I don't know which way to go. I have heard the dobinsons are fairly stiff.

Choc, ride quality is pretty good, you can notice bumps when unloaded. But when it has a load onboard it surprised me how smooth it was on highway and dirt roads. havent really tried it full offroad yet.
I have a similar setup on my prado King/bilstien and it is excellent,the reason I went for this package.

Hey damo, how much lift did you get on the bottom clip? I've just ordered Kings coils and am going to order the 5100's as well

i got bilstien 5100 front shocks on the lowest spring clip setting with Dobinsons Springs 2inch springs and it leveled up good but the front is a bit harsh on the rebound and for the rear Dobinsons Springs 2inch springs comfort with a load leaf added and racho 9000 xl rear shocks it is better ride than stanarded for the rear.
has anyone got these bilstien 5100 shocks and got rid of that harsh rebound it is a bit to much i think it mite need a different front sping!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back