cracking noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrlskr

Reaction score
hey guys just wondering if any of you guys have experienced a cracking like noise turning left or right not quite full lock but almost only when parking or reversing car, seems to be coming from front. definatly not cv joint knock. cheers

When do you hear the noise - you might need to do a little experimentation:

1) When the vehicle is moving slowly, but the steering is NOT being adjusted

2) The vehicle is NOT moving but the steering is being turned

3) The vehicle is moving across an uneven surface

4) On wet grass, put the vehicle into 4WD and try the above.

What size tyres are you using?

Do you have a suspension/body lift and how high did you go?

Worst case it could be a front axle that's broken.

Is the sound like:

a) a ticking sound, like a small stone being thrown onto a tiled floor?

b) a tapping sound, like a hammer hitting a vice?

c) a cracking sound, like a potato chip packet?

It could also be a cracked disc brake rotor, failed shock absorber ... who knows, yet!

mostly commonly heard whilst driving at lower speeds, just upon take off or upon reversing, usually on flat ground, but turning almost on full lock-parking the car. vehicle is fitted with standard rims and tyres, vehicle has only done 45k, has 2inch strut spacers fitted but they have been in there since ive brought the car, only recenctly started making noise within the last sorta 2k. had vehicle on hoist check bearing free play and steering free play all nice and tight, no torn boots etc all apears ok. really dont have a clue where to start? just thought someone else might have experienced somethink simular???

While it is unlikely, there could be something wrong with the spider gear. The axle would have to come out to determine that.

You might try jacking up the front end (or putting it on a hoist) and having a listen while you turn the wheel over with the steering near where it usually makes the noise.

Just out of curiosity, try checking the mud guards and surrounds - just in case something in behind the wheel has been bent or misshapen. You never know.

If it's only happening at near-full-lock I'm doubting it's the brake rotor, but the D40s have had poor rotors so it might be worth giving the rotor a good inspection with the wheels off.

cheers for the input mate definatly going to put it back up on the hoist for another check its getting rather annoying,

I have the same sound too, always in reverse at right hand down, and only out my drive way. I've only got 6500 on the dial too mmmmm interesting

Latest posts

Back